• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Damian Mckenzie called up into ABs squad

I think the favored option is going to be to move barrett back to 15 and start Cruden at 10.

I wouldn't move Dagg to 15, he struggled at 15 for years and moving to 14 revived his career. he has a very different role at 14 and it works.

It is interesting that McKenzie has been drafted into the squad. usually when they do that there is a good chance he will actually play.

I actually look at this last game and the way the AB pack got front foot ball and got the Lions defense back on its heals created situations dmac would thrive in.

Its going to be interesting to see who gets those last 2 bench spots. Could be McKenzie or Sopoaga maybe Naholo. In the past Naholo is a guy who has been seen as midfield cover. And hes a genuine weapon.

I think Kiwis want to see dmac selected because its really just a matter of time till he has a performance much like he does for the chiefs each week.
I agree with you about Dagg staying on the wing, but I also understand why it is such a dangerous option to consider putting Mckenzie at 15.

The Lions played tight on defense last Saturday, and you can't expect them to give you a lot of space to run into. Mckenzie does his magic during counter-attacks, when there is no defined defensive line, when the opposition is stretched vertically and horizontally. There will be no such case next time the ABs play the Lions.

You need a fullback just like Ben Smith. He injects himself in the game and helps get quick ball as a second halfback or another big runner. This is what Mckenzie cannot offer because he would be smashed and most certainly give away possession.

Last edited:
Thing is, with the full ABs team in front off him, Mackenzie (or any AB player) can essentially let loose, in the knowledge that there are sure to be 3-4 black shirts up his hole no matter what he does. He is an electric player at times but, as we saw earlier in the tour, with a mediocre side in front of him, and out of position, only human like many rugby players. You cant impress if you are starved of the ball.

Some of the best scrum halves I know played behind a pack that was always going backwards. They fed off scraps and made the most of what little possession they had. Put a decent halfback or first 5 behind a decent scrum, and their job is so much easier.

Dagg did alright today, but a poor tackle cost a try. If that had been McKenzie there would have been an outrage, but instead it passed without comment But with his boot and catching ability these conditions probably would suit Dagg over any of the alternative options at fullback today.

However, in terms of the consequences of not blooding McKenzie today we saw:

i) very average goal kicking by Barrett arguably costing the ABs the match (McKenzie is far better).
ii) a requirement to shift Barrett to 15 because of limited options there. This coincided with the ABs dropping out of the game (although fatigue was also likely a factor). Again, potentially cost the ABs the game.

Hopefully some cause for pause for thought for Mr Hansen.

Dagg did alright today, but a poor tackle cost a try. If that had been McKenzie there would have been an outrage, but instead it passed without comment But with his boot and catching ability these conditions probably would suit Dagg over any of the alternative options at fullback today.

However, in terms of the consequences of not blooding McKenzie today we saw:

i) very average goal kicking by Barrett arguably costing the ABs the match (McKenzie is far better).
ii) a requirement to shift Barrett to 15 because of limited options there. This coincided with the ABs dropping out of the game (although fatigue was also likely a factor). Again, potentially cost the ABs the game.

Hopefully some cause for pause for thought for Mr Hansen.
Dagg did well to stand his ground under high balls. He was cold-blooded tonight and made very few mistakes considering the pressure he was under. Mckenzie is a fine tackler but it won't be enough against men who keep advancing while being held in a tackle. He's a small unit and will be run over all night long. Actually his selection would make a lot of sense against other southern hemisphere countries such as Australia or South Africa. These teams offer space on counter-attacks because their attack involves both forwards and backs, while NH countries play tighter and don't give away lots of space. It's part of their territory domination tactics. If they occupy space, the other team will be left with no answers. That's what they did tonight and under a heavy rain, Hansen's men were truly clueless.

I think you can't blame Barrett for not slotting in each and every one of his kicks tonight. He did well by his standards but the defeat has to be attributed to the whole team and the plan they had in mind was just silly considering how the Lions wanted to play tonight. I kept shouting "go for the fooken corner" but they would take the three pointers all game long. This was probably clever because they knew their back play would be easily negated by the Lions defense, but I believe the ABs forwards could have had a say come set piece time, near the opposition goal line.

Latest posts