• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Western Province - Natal Sharks (11-08-2012, 17:10)

Yeah, it's a busy day today. Watching the Olympic mens hockey final now. If we win, it will be the first time ever 1 country wins Gold in hockey with both men and women.

In the semi's, our men's hockey team beat team GB 9-2 ;)

Yeah, it's a busy day today. Watching the Olympic mens hockey final now. If we win, it will be the first time ever 1 country wins Gold in hockey with both men and women.

In the semi's, our men's hockey team beat team GB 9-2 ;)

[video]http://hahgay.com/[/video]

Looks at Ireland's medal count...
Looks at Netherlands' medal count...
Looks at Great Britain's medal count...

Since we lost to the Chiefs in April, the Sharks have lost two matches! We have now won at Newlands three out of the last four times (going back to the 2011 CC).

Something is wrong at Newlands, they have a backline full of potential but struggle to do anything in attack.
Gio Aplon is the only play in that backline that worries me (the other reason I was disappointed he wasn't called up...). Since Jaque Fourie left, their midfield has been dire, no penetration. Sure de Jongh scores the occasional one jinking inside, but it is far too rare. Look at Paul Jordaan, hardly any experience but so dangerous on attack, and not the weakest link in defence either. Van den Heever should have been a Bok by now. Selections and injuries play their part, but I can't see him developing into the lethal wing I envisioned in 2010. Dewaldt Duvenage is their only player in the inside backs who seems willing to run. The half dozen-or so outside halves they have played in the last year all seem more comfortable kicking the ball.

Since we lost to the Chiefs in April, the Sharks have lost two matches! We have now won at Newlands three out of the last four times (going back to the 2011 CC).

Something is wrong at Newlands, they have a backline full of potential but struggle to do anything in attack.
Gio Aplon is the only play in that backline that worries me (the other reason I was disappointed he wasn't called up...). Since Jaque Fourie left, their midfield has been dire, no penetration. Sure de Jongh scores the occasional one jinking inside, but it is far too rare. Look at Paul Jordaan, hardly any experience but so dangerous on attack, and not the weakest link in defence either. Van den Heever should have been a Bok by now. Selections and injuries play their part, but I can't see him developing into the lethal wing I envisioned in 2010. Dewaldt Duvenage is their only player in the inside backs who seems willing to run. The half dozen-or so outside halves they have played in the last year all seem more comfortable kicking the ball.

Give it half an hour lad.

Looks at the countries respective populations and facilities eh not bad.

The Good: Craig Burden, Riaan Viljoen, Cobus Reinach
The Bad: Steven Sykes (told ya), Dale Chadwick, Lubabalu Mthembu
The Ugly: the massive amount of knock-ons

All in all, both teams could have taken this one and both teams deserved the win. WP got the short straw today and I am happy with the win but feel bad for Gena and stormer2010.

The Good: Craig Burden, Riaan Viljoen, Cobus Reinach
The Bad: Steven Sykes (told ya), Dale Chadwick, Lubabalu Mthembu
The Ugly: the massive amount of knock-ons

All in all, both teams could have taken this one and both teams deserved the win. WP got the short straw today and I am happy with the win but feel bad for Gena and stormer2010.

Bru, I know it, you know it, Feic knows it.
Province will be on the up soon, they have too many quality players to do otherwise. If they do get that inside back with a creative spark, it will rain tries. (As opposed to water today).

Yeah, that wasn't the most insightful call that's ever been made. :p

You know, Morne Steyn really isn't the most creative player.
Andries Bekker is also a bit tall.

I just cannot believe Sykes is still getting the knot over Marais (both). I know we lack experience in the second row, but we've had experience for years and it didn't bring us anything. Now we have young guys coming through and lets hope they develop into nice Bok-locks.

You know, Morne Steyn really isn't the most creative player.
Andries Bekker is also a bit tall.

Francois Steyn has a big boot
Spies runs flat with the ball in hand
Alberts knocks on a lot

Some things never change ;)

Paul Jordaan, what a prospect. Francois, Paul, Tim, JP perhaps. That midfield of 2009-11 was almost worth it just to get this.
Hope his hamstring or whatever he injured is OK. We need Tim back as soon as possible, to allow us to give Paul a rest. Maybe consider bringing in one of the U21 lads. Heimar Williams or perhaps Piet Lindeque, although he is more of a wing now.

If we bring someone in from the u21 team, it has to be Heimar Williams. Center with a lot of pace, small and very quick on his feet. Defensively he also knows what to do. He is the u21 captain as well by the way.

I still hope we see Brynard Stander making his way to the first team. I picked him as a definite addition to the team but our massive depth in the backrow is preventing that for now.