• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup play-offs: Golden Lions - Western Province (22-10-2011, 17:00)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Ellis Park, Johannesburg (22-10-2011, 17:00)

Golden Lions.png
Versus Currie Cup.png
Western Province.png

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Golden Lions [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Western Province [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jaco Taute [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Gio Aplon [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Deon van Rensburg [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] JJ Engelbrecht [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Doppies La Grange [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Jaque Fourie [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Alwyn Hollenbach [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Jean de Villiers [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Michael Killian [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Bryan Habana [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Elton Jantjies [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Demetri Catrakilis [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Michael Bondesio [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Nic Groom [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Joshua Strauss (c) [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] Nick Koster [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Michael Rhodes [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] Siya Kolisi [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Derick Minnie [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Schalk Burger (c) [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Franco van der Merwe [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] De Kock Steenkamp [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Wikus van Heerden [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Adriaan Fondse [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patric Cilliers [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Brok Harris [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Bandise Maku [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Tiaan Liebenberg [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] CJ van der Linde [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] JC Kritzinger [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Martin Bezuidenhout [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Deon Fourie [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jacobie Adriaanse [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Frans Malherbe [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Warren Whiteley [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Tertius Daniller [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Cobus Grobbelaar [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Pieter Louw [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Butch James [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Louis Schreuder [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Dylan Des Fountain [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Juan de Jongh [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] James Kamana [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] Conrad Jantjes [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

I fancy WP to take this one, however if their powder puff tight-five get mullered as they did last time round, and the Lions backs contain Aplon/ Fourie/ de Villiers (if he picks up where he left off), then it should swing in the opposite direction.

However, the Incredible Schalk should negate any bullying, but he has gone off or not performed in finals before, for various reasons, so for me he is the cornerstone of WP's chances of success.

Last week, The Lions were on the receiving end of probably the best a team has performed against them this year, S15 included, and apart from Cilliers and Minnie (I felt Bezuidenhout was the best of the Lions players), had pretty much their strongest pack. As for their backs, they missed Hollenbach, whom has for me been the form centre in the Currie Cup this year, adds a lot of pace and spark, and somehow manages good tackles, as well as Michael Killian, who adds similar qualities to their backs. Francis didn't do much wrong, nor right last week, and to be honest there Was little difference when Jantjies came on. However starting this week, he should be better and inject some creativity to the Lions, although I am sure JdV will target his channel, along with Schalk.

My head says WP, not to sure what my heart says. I really hope for a home final, but want the Lions supporters to have an even greater (blank mind) of hope heading into the new season.

If the Sharks, Lions all the way.

I agree Schalk is our key player in the forwards and will be the one to negate any bullying from the Lions' 'tighter' tight five. Pity Vermeulen is still out as he'd contributed as much and maybe even more to add some grunt to our aptly named powder puffs as you called them. Hope the backline can fire with a very inexperienced pair of halfs as we'll need to score a fair few tries of our own as I think the Lions have the fire power to cross our line a couple of times.

Ooh, you only just reminded me of Duvenanges absence.

Doesn't change my mind, but certainly food for thought.

Anyone else notice that the Lions are trying to make Jantjies a utility player? Been training quiet a bit at nine in recent weeks, and for this game and the previous he was/ is the official cover at 9.

Ooh, you only just reminded me of Duvenanges absence.

Doesn't change my mind, but certainly food for thought.

Anyone else notice that the Lions are trying to make Jantjies a utility player? Been training quiet a bit at nine in recent weeks, and for this game and the previous he was/ is the official cover at 9.

Well they have a bit of a depth issue at 9 but have James and Francis at 10 so it kinda makes sense even though I don't know if it's a real loong term option but who knows, maybe Jantjies' small frame and good pass mean he could be good there.

Yeah and losing duvenhage is a big one for us. We have a lot of talented youngsters pushing for starting spots but Groom isn't one of them. He has the tools but is very indecisive at this stage and doesn't look confident at all.

Hi newbie here

Lions have been the standout team all tournament. Tough to really look at last week properly, Lions already assured of top spot and with nothing to play for against a more desperate team. I think they will turn it on this afternoon, consistency in their team (i.e. combinations) all season being the key to negate the class added to the WP with their springboks.

Lions doing the bussiness so far, 26-12 in 50 minutes.

Taute with a brace of breakaway tries

This way I see the Lions going all the way. They are very, very clinical. Even with the Springbok back-line, WP seems hopeless. Can we do it next week at Ellis Park though? I am getting a bit scared now...

Lol at the WP tight five in this game, done over again.

Fighting hard, trying to secure their ball
Failing once again...
The Powder Puff Five!

What a difference when they are without Andries Bekker. He is WP's Bismarck du Plessis haha. Impossible to replace

Lol at the WP tight five in this game, done over again.

Fighting hard, trying to secure their ball
Failing once again...
The Powder Puff Five!

Yeah, and this is what's so laughable about the scouting at We Pee...

they always get these amazing backs, but could never get or keep hold of some proper tight five players...

and my biggest question for the last six years have been: Why on God's green earth would you keep a below standard prop like Brok Harris????

and yet, they sell CJ van der Linde to the Lions... WTF????

Latest posts