• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup: Golden Lions - Natal Sharks @ Ellis Park, Jo'burg (27-08-2011, 16:05 GMT)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Ellis Park, Jo'burg (27-08-2011, 16:05 GMT)

Golden%20Lions.png
Versus%20Super.png
Natal%20Sharks.png

The MTN Golden Lions will be aiming to bounce back to winning ways against The Sharks at Coca-Cola Park in Johannesburg on Saturday afternoon.

DHL Western Province became the first team to beat the MTN Golden Lions this season when they snuck home in Cape Town last weekend, and the Gauteng side know Saturday's encounter will not be any easier, even though they are playing at home.

Josh Strauss, bearded captain of the MTN Golden Lions, said their confidence remain strong despite last weekend's defeat at DHL Newlands.

"It was a good learning curve. We possibly just let ourselves down with the kicking game. Still, we played well in the first half and had an opportunity to win the game. We know what we need to do now and how strong the Sharks are," said Strauss, who left the field early against WP after suffering a rib injury.

Absa+Currie+Cup+Xerox+Lions+v+Sharks+7wLzrST_PmUl.jpg

John Plumtree, Sharks coach, said a lot is at stake in Johannesburg this weekend: "The challenge is to get it right this weekend. We're up against a really good defensive unit this week and a side's that's had a lot of continuity from the Super Rugby tournament through to the Currie Cup. They aren't top of the log for nothing, they're scoring tries and their defence is pretty tidy so we're going to be challenged in both departments this weekend."

MTN Golden Lions vs The Sharks
Date: Saturday, 27 August
Kick-off: 17:05
Venue: Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Last year in Absa Currie Cup:
• 7 August: Sharks won 48-19 in Durban
• 25 September: Golden Lions won 22-20 in Johannesburg

Lions: 5 Jaco Taute, 14 Deon van Rensburg, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Michael Killian, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Michael Bondesio, 8 Warran Whiteley, 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Cobus Grobbelaar (captain), 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Wikus van Heerden, 3 Patric Cilliers, 2 Bandise Maku, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.

Replacements: 16 Martin Bezuidenhout, 17 Jacobie Adriaanse, 18 Johan Snyman, 19 Michael Rhodes, 20 Jaco Kriel, 21 Doppies La Grange, 22 Burton Francis.

Sharks: 15 Louis Ludik, 14 Sibusiso Sithole, 13 Stefan Terblanche, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Fred Michalak, 9 Charl McLeod, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Keegan Daniel (capt), 5 Ross Skeate, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Craig Burden, 1 Dale Chadwick.

Replacements: 16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Eugene van Staden, 18 Jandre Marais, 19 Jean Deysel, 20 Jacques Botes, 21 Conrad Hoffmann, 22 Adrian Jacobs

Lions team was announced a century ago ;)

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup/news/110824/Lions_load_the_bench

Heres hoping we can find some semblance of form in this game, been far too poor over the last few weeks to play this match in the same manner. And please let Daniel have mediatated a little this week, need a big, non-yellow card involved match from him if we are going to win this one.

Mon the Sharks B)

Last edited:
Hope the Sharks do it this weekend...for my sake, as my wife supports them. Gonna be the game of the weekend, with a leka braai afterwards. :D

@LordHope, I see you bet with your head...and cheer from the heart, lol. ;)

Last edited:
Nope, you misunderstand completely.

Only twice have I ever bet on the correct result on this forum, first was the Sharks knock-out match vs. the Crusaders, and I think a tonking that the Cheetahs/ Province gave the Leopards.

Otherwise I have 'predicted' wrong 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. I am hoping that my record of utter, complete and moronic failure, will continue to hold true this weeked.

:D

Lions lose Strauss for Sharks Currie Cup clash
Article Published: Friday 26 August 2011

Golden Lions captain Josh Strauss has been withdrawn from the Currie Cup match against the Sharks at Coca-Cola Park on Saturday as a precaution.

The big No 8 left the field at halftime with a rib injury in last week's match against Western Province and was given until the last hour to prove his fitness.

"Josh showed good recovery during the week, but we decided it was better not to risk him at this stage," said Mitchell confirming the withdrawal for the top of the table clash.

Joshua_Strauss22.jpg

Strauss' place in the starting team will be filled by Warren Whiteley. Flanker Jaco Kriel has been included in the Lions' list of replacements.

The squad will now be led by flank Cobus Grobbelaar, and experienced captain who has done the job with the Lions for many seasons.

Revised Golden Lions team:

Jaco Taute, Deon van Rensburg, Lionel Mapoe, Alwyn Hollenbach, Michael Killian, Elton Jantjies, Michael Bondesio, Warren Whiteley, Derick Minnie, Cobus Grobbelaar (capt.), Franco van der Merwe, Wikus van Heerden, Patric Cilliers, Bandise Maku, JC Janse van Rensburg.

Replacements: Martin Bezuidenhout, Jacobie Adriaanse, Johan Snyman, Michael Rhodes, Jaco Kriel, Doppies La Grange, Burton Francis.

Strauss is out for the match tonight!!!

The u21 match just finished, and it was a pretty decent game.

Sharks probably had something like 85% territory and 80% possesion in the second half, I kid you not. Junior Sharkies just lacked penetration, coupled with the Lions out-standing and manful defensive display.

Final score was 24-18 to the Sharks, but if Francios Kleinhans had a good game (animinous throughout), or they had Marcell Coetzee, the result could have seen us clear by a couple of dozen points. Must say every time I see him I am further impressed by our Lithuanian born, Russia capped lock Karolis Navickas, all 115Kg + 6'8 ft of him.

Fortunes bode well for the main game. :)

Seriously, can we not have one kriffing decent refereeing performance this season?

Well done to the Lions for being able to cope with the sh*te that Peyper dished up.

Last edited:

Latest posts