• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Currie Cup 2011] Who will be the champions at the end of October?

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
I decided to create a vBookie so you guys can make some cash predicting the winner of the competition.

The 3rd weekend of July is when it starts this year, the Currie Cup season. Can the Sharks do what the Bulls did in the Super14, to win 3 times in 4 years? Or can the Western Province finally grab hold of that cherished trophy? With the Rugby World Cup coming up, the smaller provinces have a chance to maybe reach the play offs. Can the Griquas cause an upset? Or will their best players be in the Bok squad this year? Considering the performance of Riaan Viljoen and especially Sarel Pretorius, it's not completely out of the question.

Last year the Sharks won after a thrilling final in which they beat the Western Province 30-10 including 25 points by Patrick Lambie.

What will it be this year?

The teams:
Sharks.png

Teamname:
Natal Sharks (formerly Natal)
Founded:
Stadium:
Kings Park, Durban
Best result:
6-times Winner (last in 2010)

50882249.png

Teamname:
Western Province
Founded:
Stadium:
Newlands, Cape Town
Best result:
32-times Winner, 4 shared (last in 2001)

fscheetahs.png

Teamname:
Free State Cheetahs
Founded:
Stadium:
Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
Best result:
4-times winner, 1 shared (last in 2007)

bluebulls.png

Teamname:
Blue Bulls (formerly Northern Transvaal)
Founded:
1938 (when they broke with the Transvaal Rugby Union and start as an independent union.
Stadium:
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Best result:
23-times winner, 4 shared (last in 2009)

goldenlions.png

Teamname:
Golden Lions (formerly Transvaal)
Founded:
Stadium:
Ellis Park, Johannesburg
Best result:
9-times winner, 1 shared (last in 1999)

trfgriquas.png

Teamname:
GWK Griquas (formerly Griqualand West)
Founded:
Stadium:
Hoffe Park, Kimberley
Best result:
3-times winner (last in 1970)

pumas.png

Teamname:
Pumas (formerley South Eastern Transvaal)
Founded:
Stadium:
Atlantic Stadium, Witbank
Best result:
2-times First Division champions (last in 2009)

luiperds.png

Teamname:
Platinum Leopards
Founded:
Stadium:
Olën Park, Potchefstroom and Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg
Best result:
Second in First Division (in 2009, when they beat the Falcons in the play offs for promotion)

Such a wealth of history. I really do hope that it stays 8 teams in the premier division and the teams I would most like to see compete:

WP
Bulls
Free State Cheetahs
Sharks
Lions
Griquas
EP Kings
Boland

Will these odds change over the course of the season?

If not, I'm gonna be a little sneaky and wait until the final before placing my bet

Who would have thought the Lions would be top of the log almost halfway through the season? Guess it's a nice chance to make a bet for the Transvaal province ;)

It's gonna be a tough one this year...Lions on top, but just can't see them going all the way for some reason. Sharks and Cheetahs a little inconsistent, WP maybe too inexperienced (but exciting) and well, I just don't like the Bulls. :D

Poor WP/Stormers still hard dealing with the fact that you haven't won anything for the last 10 years.

So... What if I say it? ;)

I don't hate the Bulls, it's just that it's not a team I'd like to see winning (unless it's against foreign opposition). They've been very successful these last 5 years, but I am a Sharks fan because of my father-in-law and I am a sucker for loyalty so I stick with it ;)

Such a wealth of history. I really do hope that it stays 8 teams in the premier division and the teams I would most like to see compete:

WP
Bulls
Free State Cheetahs
Sharks
Lions
Griquas
EP Kings
Boland

Feel the leopards or Pumus should replace Boland

So from what I gather, the Bulls and Western Province will win their matches against the Leopards and Pumas respectively, with bonus points. Thus, the Griquas are going to have to beat the Cheetahs by in the region of 100 points, which they won't.

Thus, the Griquas will finish sixth, and in all likelihood be relegated in favour of Eastern Province next year. End result? Pro rugby dies in Griqualand country.

I thought there was only delegation for 2 teams with no promotion from the First Division

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

At the end of the season SARU are going to decide what will be the final composition for next season, but word is that they and the department of sports want EP Kings in the premier decision, and if that means one team getting relegated without deserving it, 'tough'.

The Griquas finishing sixth means the decision is easier to make, because if the Bulls/ Province finished there, they would be standing on a shoogly peg and are too reliant on the big teams to attract revenue etc...

Edit: Okay, Sharks should win the tourney now.

For this week, bring back Beast, Alberts and Bismarck. Let Lambie, Jannie, JP and Ndungane (not that he is first choice anyway) have a wee rest before the semi-final.

Last edited:
I like it if the Leopards can go down to the first division and Kings to the premier div.

It could backfire for the Sharks by rushing back returning Boks.

Eze

I hope for your sake you placed real bets mirroring your vBookie bets? A tidy sum to be sure..

Latest posts