• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

This bazball nonsense is ruining Test cricket. McCullum is bringing T20 cricket to Test cricket, which is abhorrent. Stoke's last innings in the previous test showed as much. Shocking stroke play. Australia have always been the standard, and they show how to play aggressive, while still honouring the values of batting in Test cricket.
Yeah. The irony is that Stokes himself has actually played a couple of innings over time where he's played the situation well - patient, pretty much becalmed before hitting out when the need / opportunity has arisen.

I do like the Australian cricket mindset. Conditions play a part but it's a big part of the reason why they invariably win easily over there and give us a great tussle over here.

Yesterday was terrible play by the Aussies saybehat you like about going at 5-6 an over. But 2 is just defeatist mentality there is always a time and place for rear guard actions and playing for the draw. Day 2 from No. 3 batsman is never it.

I'm finding some of these comments bizarre.

Before McCullum and Stokes took over we were playing dismally and losing. Always losing. Ever since we have won nearly all of our test matches by playing exciting attacking cricket. People are not happy with this approach?

I'm finding some of these comments bizarre.

Before McCullum and Stokes took over we were playing dismally and losing. Always losing. Ever since we have won nearly all of our test matches by playing exciting attacking cricket. People are not happy with this approach?
Some people just want the approach to fail because its "not proper" cricket and just playing T20. Forgetting 5.5 an over is well below par for any T20 innings (because they don't watch it) and even by todays standards in ODIs is tame as hell.

Its actually more surprising the old calulcation 100 runs per session as strikes rates skyrocketed in the other formats.

Going back to your point even if England were loosing as they were at the beginning of this series. This comment I saw summed it up "yes I'd much rather England and be exciting than lose and be pathetic"

We couldn't even beat the West Indies over a year ago...

Some people just want the approach to fail because its "not proper" cricket and just playing T20. Forgetting 5.5 an over is well below par for any T20 innings (because they don't watch it) and even by todays standards in ODIs is tame as hell.

Its actually more surprising the old calulcation 100 runs per session as strikes rates skyrocketed in the other formats.

Going back to your point even if England were loosing as they were at the beginning of this series. This comment I saw summed it up "yes I'd much rather England and be exciting than lose and be pathetic"

We couldn't even beat the West Indies over a year ago...

To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:
I don't get the criticisms as well - a few more patches of sun in Manchester and England would likely be well on their way to winning the Ashes tomorrow

I can't find it now but I saw a quote from Anderson, from yesterday, on Reddit where he was asked about Bazball, considering they lost the first two tests, and he said something along the lines of they're losing with 250+ runs atm instead of 150 runs previously, so why are people complaining

I don't get the criticisms as well - a few more patches of sun in Manchester and England would likely be well on their way to winning the Ashes tomorrow

I can't find it now but I saw a quote from Anderson, from yesterday, on Reddit where he was asked about Bazball, considering they lost the first two tests, and he said something along the lines of they're losing with 250+ runs atm instead of 150 runs previously, so why are people complaining
I'm fine with Bazball, though sometimes England could calm down and play the situation better. Yes you want to be positive, but sometimes they can be reckless. They need to find the right balance. What I will criticise England though for is the ridiculous declaration in the first innings. Yes you can say England would have won the 4th test if there was sun, but there wasn't and the weather is a part of the game. England have benefited from rain to save a test before and they will again in the future. However, the declaration almost certainly cost them the first test and wasn't needed. If England hadn't lost that game then they would have still had a chance in this test to win the series. Ultimately, the philosophy behind Bazball has cost them the Ashes.

I still think not be able to wrap up the tail is what really cost them in the 1st Test. Everything else is noise.

I think England should have bowled them out, but I also think the declaration was a bit early.

It's a fine line isn't it, you want the opposition to think it's an achievable target, but a defendable one also.

The Ashes 2023: Stuart Broad to retire after conclusion of series
"I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks but England v Australia has always been the pinnacle for me.

"I've loved the battles I've had with Australia. I've got a love affair with Ashes cricket and I think I wanted my last bat and bowl to be in Ashes cricket."

At the moment it looks like for all of England's good batting they are actually short. More likely Aus win or draw at this point.

Time to build a roof tent over cricket grounds. Must be frustrating letting the weather interrupt play.

Australian turn to hate English weather. Both well set batsmen overnight gone quickly.

Smith and Head have both got starts. Another 40 or 50 from them and the target's really in sight.

Broken there back now would be bad to lose from here.

Ah if it wasn't for the rain at Old Trafford and the dropped catches (poor bowling) at Edgbaston

Broad First man to hit a 6 with thr final ball as a batter and a wicket with his final ball as a bowler with an absolute peach.

Drawn series definitely one the best Ive seen.

Great series. Not convinced we always played the smartest cricket, but definitely entertaining and went right down to the wire. Weather robbed us in the last game, but also cost the Aussies crucial momentum in this.

Two aging teams - will be very different next time we go down there, let alone when the Aussies are back here. Lyon was a big miss for them, as was McGrath in 05 when we won 2 tests in his absence.

Jofra Archer the forgotten man. Will we see him again?

Bar holding the urn, Broad going out in the best way possible. Anderson unfortunately may end up with the decision being made for him - didn't bowl badly but not the force of old. Time waits for no man.

Latest posts