Corbisiero arrives as Jenkins Leaves

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
ALEX CORBISIERO arrived in Brisbane today after a five-flight two-day trip and declared he’d “do it again†tomorrow so he could join the British & Irish Lions.The England prop went from Salta in Argentina to Buenos Aires, Santiago in Chile, Auckland, Sydney and finally Brisbane where he met up with his new squad mates ahead of this evening’s match against the Queensland Reds.
Corbisiero said: “It was a long journey but I’m not complaining â€" I would do it again just to be here. You never like to come in for anyone who is injured and I feel for Cian and Gethin but I just feel so privileged to be given this opportunity. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind afternoon meeting everyone and I’m looking forward to going to the game tonight and then getting down to training. I also want to wish England all the best against Argentina today.â€
Gethin Jenkins will join Cian Healy flying home tomorrow after scans showed the Welsh prop’s calf strain has not fully healed.
British & Irish Lions Head Doctor James Robson said: “The expected time for recovery is at least three weeks and given the remaining duration of the tour we felt that Gethin should return home and continue his rehabilitation there.â€

Lions Media

The saddest thing is that he may be slightly too old to make another tour. But he's already been on two, so that must be solace for him.

IMO, unlike at tighthead, there's some pretty strong competition at loosehead. Wouldn't have been disappointed with seeing any of Vunipola, Corbisiero or Grant in the initial party. Paul James has to be the next up if any more injuries occur though.

See I think Paul James cooked his chips against the Lions. Sheridan ... and yes I am about to say this ... wouldn't be a bad shout.

See I think Paul James cooked his chips against the Lions. Sheridan ... and yes I am about to say this ... wouldn't be a bad shout.
See, it is unfortunate for Paul because he is a class prop. Adam will show anybody up...

See, it is unfortunate for Paul because he is a class prop. Adam will show anybody up...

If they rule props out based on Adam doing well against them then that means Corbisiero too ...

diapo660ab6c2023aba6e6c16bf9472161ab6.gif

Don't think it's that though, just Gatland doesn't rate James. After all even when Gethin was on the worst form of his career and James had come off an excellent season for Ospreys he still couldn't get a start. Add to that it would start more Welsh bias threads. Unlucky not to get more recognition though in general in his career, underrated imo, unfortunate to have coincided with perhaps Wales' greatest loosehead ever.

In fairness, I think Corbisiero is a very decent player and deserved Lion. I reckon he will start the 1st Test.

Last edited:

Forget who else he was scrummaging with, but it wasn't an outfit to shine in. It would be harsh if he lost out just because of that. Personally, I suspect it might just be a matter of loose play - might be wrong, James always struck me as a scrummaging prop first and foremost, not someone who adds much more than you'd expect at the minimum. So far Adam Jones has been the only prop on the tour without a really notable loose game, and since we've now had 8, I think that's enough to discern a pattern.

Well, half th people still don't rate James because of his tight head caps, where he was decent, certainly better than Yapp and others.

Of course most or all get shown up by Adam but Paul just capitulated and that sadly will go against him. I would love to see him go but as it stand can't see it happening.

I think Corbisiero is a very decent player. I reckon he will start the 1st Test.

Have said it before, Corbs is a little undercooked....he started just 4 games last season through injury. I think he has to play in all, not necessarily the full 80, warm up matches to show he has the level of fitness for a Test even against Aus!

Forget who else he was scrummaging with, but it wasn't an outfit to shine in. It would be harsh if he lost out just because of that. Personally, I suspect it might just be a matter of loose play - might be wrong, James always struck me as a scrummaging prop first and foremost, not someone who adds much more than you'd expect at the minimum. So far Adam Jones has been the only prop on the tour without a really notable loose game, and since we've now had 8, I think that's enough to discern a pattern.

Probably right. He started a couple of games for Wales in Novmber when there was a weaker tighthead, but Gethin came back despite poor form with Toulon to start with Adam back. Corbisiero probably will offer more tackles.

Just out of interest, aside the Ireland 2012 game, what has been his best matches that standout in an England shirt?

Well, half th people still don't rate James because of his tight head caps, where he was decent, certainly better than Yapp and others.

Yapp was a disaster. Fooled people by doing okay against Canada that he could be a utility prop.

Unlucky or Jenkins, but he's played in two tours before so that kind of softens the blow. Absolutley heart breaking for Healy though, to come down so early on his first tour, well thats a tough pill to swallow.

On the replacements, I'm from the school of thought that maybe Ryan Grant should have been higher in the pecking order than Alex Corbiserio given that Corbiserio hasn't played much rugby recently but hey-ho both are going now. There may be a real issue if there is another loose head prop injury given that it seems Andrew Sheridan has ruled himself out. I predict that Wharburton will be brought down by his injury before the tests begin.

Latest posts