• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Conrad Smith out of majority of Rugby Championship

I'd give Crotty a shot, he really deserves it, move Nonu out to 13. I wouldn't pick Tamati Ellison because he is too old to invest heavily in.

If Fruean has a stellar semi-final and possibly final then it could open up for him. He is the next best 13 after Smith and Kahui and his partnership with Crotty and Carter can be seen as a positive. If anything just play him against Argentina where he won't be tested as much as against Australia or South Africa. The thing that impresses me about Fruean which doesn't show up in stats is his distribution skills. He consistently has crisp distribution for the Crusader's wingers.

Assuming there will be four midfield players; Crotty, Fruean, Nonu and Smith when he recovers.

SBW? What the ****? That's just going full blown retarded to bring him in. Invest in someone who would actually stick around.

Edit: Where on Earth is Isaia Toeava? I remember he was a very solid option at 13.

A little harsh i would say, he may not be the long term solution but he has more than earned a spot and is still committed to NZ next year

With so many injuries etc. in the midfield we can afford to pick someone like Ellison. Long term, no he's not likely to be in the squad, but at the moment he's the best player to plug the gap, providing he's fit. While moving Carter/Nonu around is doable, we're far better off if we can keep players in their preferred positions.

A little harsh i would say, he may not be the long term solution but he has more than earned a spot and is still committed to NZ next year

I agree entirely. I certainly don't think 29 is 'too old' for a midfield back. Many centres play quality rugby well into their 30's - indeed one of the All Blacks' greatest centres (Frank Bunce) didn't even debut for the AB's until he was 30!

With so many injuries etc. in the midfield we can afford to pick someone like Ellison. Long term, no he's not likely to be in the squad, but at the moment he's the best player to plug the gap, providing he's fit. While moving Carter/Nonu around is doable, we're far better off if we can keep players in their preferred positions.

My thoughts exactly. Carter is the best 10 in the world, and though he would do a good job at 12, he is not as effective there (as we have seen for the Crusaders this season). Likewise Nonu is arguably the best 12 in world rugby, but when was the last time he played at 13, let alone excelled at 13? They need to pick a 13 and let Carter and Nonu dominate in their preferred positions (as they usually do) :)

Last edited:
I think I'd go with SBW at 12 and Nonu at 13, and bring one of the uncapped guys in off the bench to give them some experience that way.

I'd go 10: Cruden 12: Carter 13: Nonu/Freuan/Bateman/Ellison at this point. I'm pretty sure Bateman played centre when he was at the Crusaders.

Agree with Darwin, surely we've seen enough of Cater at 12 for the Crusaders this year to rule that out as an option for the ABs. Australia are such a confidence team, it would be madness to cut them a break by playing anything less than our top lineup - this means SBW. Not really an urgent need to develop a new 13 when, shortly, we'll have Smith - Kahui - Ellison to choose from again anyway.

yeah I've been reading up on SBWilliams coming back just for that chip in August, but it does raise the question:
I believe Jerome Kaino left for the same reason before SB, not that the AB need them like we need Dusautoir or Clerc, and they have talent and strength and pace aplenty. But just the principle of losing an intl performer who plays for your country, to some club in another country...
I don't like it, I don't think anybody does...
yeah ?

Latest posts