• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CJ Stander to retire at the end of the season

Yeah I said as much at the start of this thread. Don't know how much of a hint that is though, he never claimed he was retiring because he couldn't play anymore.

Good. Would've been sad to never see him play again. Was a bit surprised to hear him say he's got at least another 7 years in him but they do like an OAP rugby player in SA. Word is that AWJ is retiring next season then going to SA to play for another 10 years.

Good. Would've been sad to never see him play again. Was a bit surprised to hear him say he's got at least another 7 years in him but they do like an OAP rugby player in SA. Word is that AWJ is retiring next season then going to SA to play for another 10 years.
But isn't it sad to see someone you respect turn out to be a liar? He announced his retirement from all forms of rugby.

But isn't it sad to see someone you respect turn out to be a liar? He announced his retirement from all forms of rugby.
Was he lying? Maybe, probably even, but maybe he's just had a change of heart, no one knows what's in his head at the time of making the decision and at the time of making this decision. People can change their minds if they like. Ultimately, though, I don't really care if he was lying. He seems like a nice guy who's happy with his decisions and I like watching him play. Most importantly I don't have to see him playing for Ireland again and being a pain in the backside

Why did he retire before the lions though? Is it that he didn't want to face his home country before he moved back there? Or is it just not a big think to him because he didn't grow up dreaming of representing them. I never got the timing of this.

Why did he retire before the lions though? Is it that he didn't want to face his home country before he moved back there? Or is it just not a big think to him because he didn't grow up dreaming of representing them. I never got the timing of this.
He is not yet retired and he was available for selection, hence why he's still playing for Munster.

Also don't know why the prospect of Stander potentially coming back after some time out is some kind of gotcha. He has talked about this before.

Why would you be angry? Seems really odd to me that people would genuinely be angry about this.
Angry, because we all kind of knew this was coming. Just like so many before him. He retired for family reasons, came back to SA, and now that he's back here, with the family, wants to return to playing.

Why retire then from all forms of rugby?? To get out of contracts a-la-Johan Goosen? Or that too many injuries are in the way, like Pat Lambie?

There would have been no harm, in just retiring from international rugby, and continue with playing club rugby, many old guns do this.

Angry, because we all kind of knew this was coming. Just like so many before him. He retired for family reasons, came back to SA, and now that he's back here, with the family, wants to return to playing.

Why retire then from all forms of rugby?? To get out of contracts a-la-Johan Goosen? Or that too many injuries are in the way, like Pat Lambie?

There would have been no harm, in just retiring from international rugby, and continue with playing club rugby, many old guns do this.
Yeah, but why would this make you angry? It's weird.

Tbh I wouldn't expect any big welcome anywhere in Ireland but Thomond if he comes back with the Bulls or whoever it does ruin the legacy somewhat. I'm still not convinced it'll happen at that level, if he's bouncing about the Currie cup fair enough.

Knew what was coming, exactly? Firstly he's still in Ireland and will probably stay here until a Lions selection is completely off the cards. He wasn't in contract after this year, which is readily available information. He would be entitled to a tax break for retiring in Ireland, but not if he then comes out of retirement, and certainly not if he finishes his playing career in South Africa. He won't earn nearly as much money playing in SA as he would in Ireland as an international or in France, so no financial incentives there. He retired from all forms of rugby, because he presumably at the very least wants to take a break from the game and consider what he wants to do next. He finished out his contract, owes literally nobody a thing and can do what he wants with the remainder of his years in the game, whether that be coaching, playing or putting paint on the field.

Tbh I wouldn't expect any big welcome anywhere in Ireland but Thomond if he comes back with the Bulls or whoever it does ruin the legacy somewhat. I'm still not convinced it'll happen at that level, if he's bouncing about the Currie cup fair enough.
If he comes back, I genuinely couldn't care less. It's not a cynical decision on his part. You're right, he will probably get a nicer reception than Zebo did in Thomond anyway, but I think wherever he plays next will be with an eye to coaching.

Guys he did not say he is coming out of retirement. The media has made the assumption that its some kind of hint. He just said he has rugby left in him. That could mean he is trying to say yes i retired but its not because i could not continue or i was too old or something like that. People on this forum should know better than to just jump on the headline hysteria train

Guys he did not say he is coming out of retirement. The media has made the assumption that its some kind of hint. He just said he has rugby left in him. That could mean he is trying to say yes i retired but its not because i could not continue or i was too old or something like that. People on this forum should know better than to just jump on the headline hysteria train
Dude, we're bored out of our mind, there's not much else to talk about rugby-wise. More Saffas won European trophies this past weekend than the B&I Lions squad...

Of course we're going to make assumptions, what else is there to do...

He is not yet retired and he was available for selection, hence why he's still playing for Munster.

Also don't know why the prospect of Stander potentially coming back after some time out is some kind of gotcha. He has talked about this before.
So was he available for the lions and not picked then? I got the impression (maybe wrongly) that he was retiring at the end of the season and thus not available for lions selection?

Latest posts