• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bulls sign another

Shovenose

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Grant Hattingh has agreed to join the Blue Bulls at the end of the Super Rugby campaign. Hattingh who played for WP in the Vodacom Cup and Maties in the Varsity Cup agreed to join them on a two year deal. Well whenever talent get spread out over the country the Bulls seem to have different ideas.

Well, he leaves the Lions because he is not sure he will be able to play Super Rugby next year when staying with the Golden Lions Union.

He won't be playing a lot, unless Stegmann and 1 of the Potgieters gets injured or transferred.

Well Province has hit back it seems. WP have signed Blue Bulls U18 Craven Week stars eighthman Steven Meiring and flyhalf Ryno Eksteen for next season. These are the guys that mangled Pollard and the WP u/18 team. They have also signed Pieter Jordaan from the Cheetahs. Well this is going to turn ugly as the Sharks haven't joined in yet. Not like they need to looking at their u/18 team but SARU got to step in.

A draft system would really work out well in SA. Have all the college players sign up, have the teams pick players and when they sign a contract, it's for at least 3 years. That way, players can develop until they're 21 and decide later on if they want to move.

Also, I still don't understand why the Cheetahs signed so many Griquas players lately. Don't they get it that harvesting your franchise partner will backfire in the long run? Griquas players like Raubenheimer and Geel would be better off in Kimberley to be honest.

I notice that they proposed a 22 situation where the union have say over the top 22 youngsters of their region. The players WP have signed off course go straight to the academy at Stellenbosch which is of course a school of excellence. There they separate the good enough to not quiet good enough. It would be good if they have something like that at every union. No matter who they signed for these guys are the future and SARU must make sure they assigned the best youth coaches to them. That will mean nothing goes to waste and SARU can help the smaller budget unions fund these guys. Say what one want but the Currie Cup was at its best when it was the Bulls, Lions, Freestate, Natal, WP and EP where the other devision had the rest and the WP Development team. They can add development teams (u/21) from all the unions to make them compete in the 2nd devision.
A draft system would really work out well in SA. Have all the college players sign up, have the teams pick players and when they sign a contract, it's for at least 3 years. That way, players can develop until they're 21 and decide later on if they want to move.Also, I still don't understand why the Cheetahs signed so many Griquas players lately. Don't they get it that harvesting your franchise partner will backfire in the long run? Griquas players like Raubenheimer and Geel would be better off in Kimberley to be honest.
I grew up in a place about 110km from Kimberly. Now this is what happen. We were on the Border of Western Transvaal, Freestate and the Northern Cape. In fact the town was next to the Vaal River . When you cross the bridge your in the FS. When you just exit the town your in the Northern Cape. We were part of the Northern Cape region as Kimberly were 110k's, Bloem 160k's and Potch something like 200 to 300k's. Now you don't go play trails then Griquas. You go for a team called Northern trails first. Northerns were like the guys from a academy. They had different jerseys and played against the senior team of the different towns. Police were also in the mix and our smalk town kicked their arses a couple of years in a row. Now to get back to the point I am trying to make in Primary school you stayed a team till you hit std 6. With the high schools you get the Argicultural schools and the schools like Grey who obviously has the best backing out of alkaline the teams. So basically the Argicultural schools will rip these small towns schools apart with their poaching where Grey will in turn take the best from them. And I mean take them with bursaries. So Grey is actually the best from the Griquas regions. Those guys that don't show promise but suddenly came out of nowhere and slipped through the cracks will end up at smaller unions when they will get picked up by FS.

Last edited:

Latest posts