• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blue Bulls | 2013 Currie Cup

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Blue%20Bulls.png

Cheetahs scrum half Piet van Zyl has been unveiled as the newest Bull. Recently capped for the Springboks, he could be an excellent replacement for France-bound Jano Vermaak.

...Nevermind...

Last edited:
Cheetahs scrum half Piet van Zyl has been unveiled as the newest Bull. Recently capped for the Springboks, he could be an excellent replacement for France-bound Jano Vermaak.

Yeah, but he only joins them on the 1st of November. He will be playing Currie Cup for the CHeetahs this year.

I am really looking forward to seeing the squad of the Bulls for the Currie Cup without the Springboks taking part.

My guess is that it will be a very young squad with amazing talent.

It'll be interesting to see who will be filling the voids left by all the players taking part in the groot trek; Kirchner, Steyn, Olivier, Kruger, Ralepelle, Vermaak and the Potgieters...

I just realised as I was typing each name that the Bulls already have many of those places covered with Serfontein, Pollard/Fouche and Botha and having now signed Van Zyl at scrummie. They do lose a lot of depth though with Olivier trekking and Venter moving to the Free State thinning the depth at center even if Serfontein and Engelbrecht are quality starters. The Potgieters they can manage without and SA has a host of quality loosies but replacing Ralepelle and Kruger (so soon after losing all of Botha, Botha, Matfield, Rossouw and Steenkamp)? Who are the likely players to step into those roles? Kirchner needs replacing as well. Even though I don't much like the guy he is a good SR player and fit the Bulls well.

It'll be interesting to see who will be filling the voids left by all the players taking part in the groot trek; Kirchner, Steyn, Olivier, Kruger, Ralepelle, Vermaak and the Potgieters...

I just realised as I was typing each name that the Bulls already have many of those places covered with Serfontein, Pollard/Fouche and Botha and having now signed Van Zyl at scrummie. They do lose a lot of depth though with Olivier trekking and Venter moving to the Free State thinning the depth at center even if Serfontein and Engelbrecht are quality starters. The Potgieters they can manage without and SA has a host of quality loosies but replacing Ralepelle and Kruger (so soon after losing all of Botha, Botha, Matfield, Rossouw and Steenkamp)? Who are the likely players to step into those roles? Kirchner needs replacing as well. Even though I don't much like the guy he is a good SR player and fit the Bulls well.

At Fullback we have Jurgen Visser and Clayton Blommetjies
At Centre we have Jan Serfontein, JJ Engelbrecht, William Small-Smith and Ulrich Beyers and Lionel Mapoe
At Fly Half we have Handre Pollard and Tony Jantjies (who I think is better than his brother)
At Scrumhalf we have Hougaard (even though there are talks that he might commit to wing), Piet van Zyl and Rudy Paige
At no. 8 we have Pierre Spies and Jonno Ross
At 6 we have Arno Botha, Jean Cook and Shaun Adendorff
At 7 we have Deon Stegman, Wian Liebenberg and Jacques Du Plessis
at Lock we have Flip van der merwe, Grant Hattingh, Paul Willemse, Irne Hebst and Marvin Orie and Schalk van Heerden (Wicus van Heerden's brother)
at hooker we have Willie Wepener and Callie Visagie... I don't know the under 21 hooker or if he is any good.

I think it's a decent squad...

Decent, sure but still a step down IMO. That said the Bulls coped just fine (not great) with the losses in class of FdP, Matfield, Habana, Steenkamp, Botha, Botha recently and Olivier who was injured this year. Still, that loss of class or rather experience has shown at times; particularly against the Brumbies on the weekend.

Missed the 1 November part, didn't have the brain batteries fully charged... Apologies.

Deon Stegmann and Francois Hougaard has been ruled out for the rest of the season as both are going in for operations. Stegmann for his shoulder and Hougaard for his ankle.

Pollard now also out of the game against WP with a shoulder injury.
Courtnall Skosan will also only train on Wednesday due to a muscle strain, but will be available for selection against the defending Currie Cup champions.
Francois Hougaard (ankle) and Basil Short (knee) have been added to the long-term casualty list.
Following operations, the pair join Cornell Hess (knee), Deon Stegmann (shoulder), Arno Botha (knee), Pierre Spies (bicep) and Louis Fouche (knee) on the sidelines and are expected to return in the next four to six months.

Seems like Lionel Mapoe is going back to the Lions or CT possibly.
Bulls are really going to struggle in the CC.

My biggest worry is Fly Half. Pollard nursing a shoulder injury, Louis Fouche ankle injury, Morne Steyn with the Springboks and off to France...

They made an offer for Catrakilis, and are left with Jurgen Visser and Tony Jantjies for the time being...

In other news, Jacques Potgieter has signed a 2 year deal with the Waratahs for the 2014/15 Super Rugby season...

I don't know, CC is a big step up from U/21. Personally I don't rate Elton and I don't see his brother being any different.

I don't know, CC is a big step up from U/21. Personally I don't rate Elton and I don't see his brother being any different.

Tony has played CC last year... I think it was 1 or 2 games from the bench. And he has had Vodacom Cup experience for the last 2 years. He's better than his brother.

Why would J Potgieter go an sign to play for the Warathas, what is happening behind the scenes guys?
He should not have been a leading vocalist in that attempt to make a song for their supporters - this is a slap in the face
Maybe all Potpieters should be banned form Loftus ...

Or it's personal ie. wanting to leave SA permanently maybe. He is a loss but not irreplaceable, Arno Botha is better all-round but in saying that I would have kept him instead of Dewald for instance.

Agree with you, though the move to Japan is pure for financial gain, but to sign for the Waratahs in next years S15, eina dit maak seer
Bulls should have hang onto CJ Stander man, that was a massive loss

He's a drifter... let him be... He wanted to stay at the Bulls for more money, and they said no. He wasn't even a regular starter... Maybe the Waratahs guaranteed him some game time, at a better fee...

Latest posts