• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Leagues in the world? and top 2 teams from each?

Glasgow are better than Ulster imo. And certainly better than Munster. They haven't had much European success, but they've essentially been targeting the league for the past two seasons. Certainly the side I fear most domestically.

They lost home and away to Cardiff Blues in the important tournament. Munster and Ulster wouldn't.

They lost home and away to Cardiff Blues in the important tournament. Munster and Ulster wouldn't.

As I said, I reckon they prioritize the league. Castres, Montpellier and Racing all had fairly dire European campaigns, yet find themselves in the semi finals of the Top 14.

If you cherry pick your facts you can pretty much prove whatever you want. When I look at the league over the past two seasons I see Glasgow as one of the two outstanding sides. They really should have beaten us in the RDS last season to make the final. They're on a 9 match winning streak, which includes comprehensive victories over both Ulster and Munster (27-9 and 5-22 respectively.) I'll say it again, they worry me more than any other side in the division.

As I said, I reckon they prioritize the league. Castres, Montpellier and Racing all had fairly dire European campaigns, yet find themselves in the semi finals of the Top 14.

If you cherry pick your facts you can pretty much prove whatever you want. When I look at the league over the past two seasons I see Glasgow as one of the two outstanding sides. They really should have beaten us in the RDS last season to make the final. They're on a 9 match winning streak, which includes comprehensive victories over both Ulster and Munster (27-9 and 5-22 respectively.) I'll say it again, they worry me more than any other side in the division.

All of whom played sides not considered to be first choice, with Top 14 being a big thing, Racing aren't too special at full strength anyway. For the Celts, it's all about Europe, hence why the Ospreys get so much stick despite that group of players being successful in the league. Glasgow have won 3 games in the past 2 years in Europe with their strongest side.

Munster, Leinster and Ulster have all shown their capable of upping their game in the important matches, none would be getting doubled by poor sides like the Blues or shipping 50 points to Toulon. Don't confuse the Europe Leinster with the Rabo Leinster, the former was arguably the greatest team Europe has seen, the latter loses finals to a poorly coached Ospreys side who got thrashed in Europe by Biarritz.

Glasgow are better than Ulster imo. And certainly better than Munster. They haven't had much European success, but they've essentially been targeting the league for the past two seasons. Certainly the side I fear most domestically.

To be fair I'm talking about how the teams have performed over the Heineken Cup and in the Rabo - and with that I don't see how Glasgow are better than Ulster. The fact Ulster compete on two fronts shows depth and strength in a squad, Glasgow are clearly, like you point out, just going for the league & even then they weren't in the final last year. Same situation with Munster.

Until Glasgow start putting out decent teams in the Heineken and winning more than 3 games in 2 years, I couldn't consider them the best team in the league.

Latest posts