• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bakkes Botha

I'm not his fan, but if I have to go to war, I want Bakkies Botha beside me...
Don't remember who was saying "rage control problem" haha, yes that is true, but when he plays in the rules, he is probably the best n.4 in the world, in my dream team he would pair with Paul O'Connell!
I remember Bakkies Botha often tackling a wing or centre, and maybe against England in 2008 that wing was going for a try, along the lineout, ad Botha tackled him as last defender... You don't see any locks doing this!

he would be a great player - if it weren't for the 10000000 cameras protecting the opposition.

I respect him as a great player. I also feel that he goes out there intent on putting in a few cheap shots and if he could control his aggression and channel it constructively into his game he would be all the better for it. Maybe, then he'd get less cards/suspensions and be looked upon in a more positive light. Although I dislike the arrogance shown by certain players in todays game I think rugby needs the odd mongrel to ruff things up a bit.

It's a love/hate thing for me re Bakkies; I don't think there is a better 4 playing rugby at the moment but he has become a liability with his cheap shots. I think the problem is the media calling him an 'enforcer' and the fact that it has gone to his head.

He is actually a brilliant footballer but the off the ball stuff detracts from his game. I still feel he offers a lot to SA rugby but if he doesn't start playing the ball instead of the man I wouldn't mind seeing the back of him. Danie Rossouw and Flip van der Merwe are different players but can fill his boots should it be necessary.

Interestingly he played as a back in his school days. Can't remember whether it was scrummie or flyhalf, though. As for where the nick might have come from personally I can only speculate. A 'bakkie' is a pick-up truck. Baksteen was mentioned by Jericho and then someone's 'bakkies' is their face as in 'klap sy bakkies vir hom af' would loosely translate to 'slap his face off his head' . All very applicable.

Latest posts