• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another rugby game being made

nightmarehitter

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/4343602/Footy-fever-to-ignite-rugby-releaseFooty fever to ignite rugby release

CLAIRE MCENTEE - BusinessDay.co.nz Last updated 05:00 15/11/2010
Print
Text Size

4343655.jpg

GAME ON: Andrew Stairs, one of Sidhe's artists, working on the likenesses of rugby players which will be used in a rugby game released next year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/b...53/Super-Scribblenauts-experiment-the-results
Wellington's Sidhe is developing a rugby game due for release around the time of the World Cup.
It believes the footy fever set to grip the country and hundreds of millions of overseas viewers could make the ***le its most successful yet.
Managing director Mario Wynands said Rugby Challenge would be available for PCs and most game consoles, and would feature players and teams from the All Blacks, ITM Cup and Super Rugby competition.
The game's players would be able to play each other online â€" including people in different countries â€" and create their own rugby players and competitions. Rugby Challenge would also have a multi-year franchise mode so players could develop a team over several years, and "real-time dynamic commentary" voiced by well-known commentators.
The ***le will be distributed by Sydney-based Home Entertainment Suppliers, for which Sidhe has previously developed rugby league games.
Under development since late last year, Rugby Challenge is one of the biggest projects in dollar terms the 120-person firm has worked on. Mr Wynands said it had been several years since the last rugby union game had been released and none had been developed for the latest generation of consoles. "Other publishers who have worked in that [sport] space such as Electronic Arts don't seem to be supporting smaller sports codes such as cricket and rugby which seems crazy when you consider how big those audiences are."
HES paid Sidhe an up-front development fee and Sidhe would receive royalties on sales. "There is potential there for us to see significant financial reward if the game takes off internationally.
"With the timing especially and the World Cup being here, everything is aligning to make it an amazing opportunity. We're hoping we can make it one of our best games ever, if not the best game that we have created."
The International Rugby Board's head of the Rugby World Cup, Kit McConnell, has said the tournament will bring 85,000 visitors to New Zealand in addition to vast numbers of international television viewers.
Mr Wynands said about 50 staff were working on the game, ensuring it was as polished as possible.
"We're certainly hoping the game is well-received creatively, lest we be kicked out of the country for messing up the national sport."
See rugbychallengegame.com.

Intriguing, good find!
Maybe Rugby Challenge will have the SH licences and 2012 will have NH

I think i just wet myself :p :p those player head shots look rather frikin good :D :D two rugby games next year.... this ace :p
Fingers crossed for NH teams, but certainly looks like the likenesses will be pretty good :D
HB now have competition :D :D great news for the rugby community :D

Well this would explain why there's been so many anti-HB wankers on the board of late as Sidhes' fanboi-mafia go into over-drive.

hahahaha genius post :D :D seriously tho, this is great for us lot... 2 games for the world cup. I hope that rugby challenge will have NH teams :D :D likenesses do look good, just hope NH players have the same effort (although i think NZ players will have priority :D)

Wow!!! This is great news. Those player faces look amazing! I'm so excited right now!

Maybe this will encourage HB Studio's to give us a little taste of what they're up to ;)
Including a Manager mode and Edit mode i'm sure will be a huge selling point! this could get very interesting depending on which one comes out first... Man I just cant wait!!!

Well this would explain why there's been so many anti-HB wankers on the board of late as Sidhes' fanboi-mafia go into over-drive.

Considering this was only announced this morning, I'm not sure your hypothesis holds much water.

Anyway, glad to have this announced now (www.rugbychallengegame.com). There should be more coverage cropping up over the course of the day and coming weeks.

Really?

The way Sidhes forums have treated us in the past?

Sure.

What are you even talking about?

Yes, this game was announced just this morning. None of our community members knew about our involvement in the game until then.

There have been some issues between TRF and Sidhe in the past Chris, but me and Mario have resolved those fairly recently.

[strike]Hope the commentary is better than RLL.[/strike] My bad, not the same team.

Last edited:
Great news, and Mario by coverage do you mean screenies or footage or is that stuff still along way off?.

Mario, so when will the "embargo" be lifted and you be able to answer our questions about the game in detail?.

I'd assume not till sometime next year right?.

Mario, so when will the "embargo" be lifted and you be able to answer our questions about the game in detail?.

I'd assume not till sometime next year right?.

More information will be released this year.

oooooooooo two "screenshots" in one day :D :D I'm well exited now. woop woop :D :D Thanks Mario for the insight on NZ Gamer :D :D Hopefully there will be some Fifa vs PES rivalry developing (friendly rivalry of course). I can't wait to see "proper" screenshots of both Rugby 2012 and Rugby Challenge :D :D I'm gonna sleep well tonight :D :D i hope the games both have their unique gameplay features :D man I'm exited :D

Mario, I basically cringed at what was written earlier in this thread. I hope you know that when it comes to our forum links with developers, that the vast majority of our staff believe in forging links and associations, not burning our bridges. :) The only thing I've said about you recently was two things that ended up being right on the nose, lol.

1: That I was sure Sidhe and HB wouldn't be working together on a rugby project.
2: That Mario won't tell us anything about any upcoming projects until he's good and ready (due to that obviously being sensitive information).

Where I was off the mark was guessing in another thread that you might be working with HB to make this Rugby game (obviously without EA).

So anyhow, how about we ask you a nice question then?

Will Rugby Challenge have the kind of player controllability that EA's rugby ***les and Rugyb League Live have displayed? I obviously feel EA's have been the best, but Rugby League Live was very responsive also. As you know from feedback over the years that controllability of players has been one of the issues that people seized on with Rugby League 2 and apparently it got somewhat (or significantly I don't know) better on Rugby League 3 on the Wii. It's one of those issues that has mattered to people.

Would be great to know.

Latest posts