• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Hore calling it quits at end of Rugby Championship

jessta

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
With no super rugby franchise next year and a lost desire to play super rugby, andrew hore is set to hang up the boots. If he had announced this at the start of the rugby championship It would be easier to accept, however the mans showen he can still play great rugby! Sad sad day.. this is in contrast to kev signing on recently. Going to be intresting to see the hookers announced for the end of year tour

* random unsubtle joke about last name and current situation quitting Rugby*

It sounds like on the EOYT we'll see Mealamu, Coles and one or two of Nathan Harris, Rhys Marshall and Liam Coltman.

With the extended squad I expect to see both Coltman and Marshall go - both in the 23 for the Japan match.

It will be interesting to see the make up of the squad, actually...

Props - Franks, Woodcock, Franks, Crockett, Faumuina, Afeaki
Hookers - Mealamu, Coles, Coltman, Marshall
Locks - Romano, Retalick, Bird, Whitelock, Thrush
Loosies - Read, McCaw, Cane, Luatua, Messam, Shields, Whitelock
Halfbacks - Smith, Kerr-Barlow, Perenara
First Fives - Carter, Cruden, Barrett
Centres - Nonu, Saili, Taylor
Outside Backs - Dagg, Piutau, Savea, Jane, Halai

That's 36 players, they could take up to 38. We may see a bolter or two, probably in the centres. With C Smith out for the tour, there aren't any established centres - Ben will get a lot of game time there, presumably, but they'll surely take one other player who can play centre. I can't see it being Crotty, he's very much a stop gap measure, I don't think anyone sees him as a long term option.

Sad to hear he may be going - but in a sad way its also probably only going to benefit NZ come the next RWC and further. Shame Hore doesn't consider a season in France or so to get a bit more cash, but I guess its hard to run a farm from accross the globe.

Sad to hear he may be going - but in a sad way its also probably only going to benefit NZ come the next RWC and further. Shame Hore doesn't consider a season in France or so to get a bit more cash, but I guess its hard to run a farm from accross the globe.

My sentiments exactly. Coltman needs to be starting week in, week out, if he wants to be an All Black. As it is Rhys Marshall and Ben Funnell/Codie Taylor are stuck behind Schwalger/Elliot and Flynn at their franchises. Nathan Harris hasn't even played Super Rugby yet. It's best for NZ rugby if Hore moves on - it's a bit sad he won't reap any money from overseas but I don't that appeals to him anyway, he'll be quite happy to plod away at his farm until he retires, I'm sure.

what about people like James Parsons, Quentin McDonald, Hika Eliot (if he could fix up his throwing) or Motu Matu'u?

what about people like James Parsons, Quentin McDonald, Hika Eliot (if he could fix up his throwing) or Motu Matu'u?

for me the names to watch are Liam Coltman and Rhys Marshall

The other thing is that Hore is playing a lot better than Mealamu at this stage IMO. Mealamu should be the one stepping away.

for me the names to watch are Liam Coltman and Rhys Marshall

The other thing is that Hore is playing a lot better than Mealamu at this stage IMO. Mealamu should be the one stepping away.

Why the heck should Mealamu step away? Hore can do what he likes, Mealamu doesn't have to make his decisions based on what Hore does. Strange comment bro....

Why the heck should Mealamu step away? Hore can do what he likes, Mealamu doesn't have to make his decisions based on what Hore does. Strange comment bro....

Maybe that was a bit of a blunt comment...

I only say that because between the two Hore is the one that is still genuinely contributing on the field. Mealamu has had an epic career, overall better than hore for sure. But already see even at the blues Parsons is the better hooker right now. Been some time since Mealamu has really performed in a game or showed on the field he's still got it.... Hore is actually the form hooker in NZ and genuinely deserves his spot. He had some massive games for the highlanders and has still proven to be a nightmare for opposition in rucks and mauls and in the tight, his experience genuinely shows on the park.

the major thing is lineout throwing, if Mealamus likeout work was spot on right now he would be an easy selection.

Either way I don't think Hansen seriously believes either Hore or Mealamu will make 2015. The key is getting three hookers up to speed. Coles is obviously one. Coltman is obviously another and the selectors obviously have interest in rhys Marshall as well but there are other options. Id say right now for both Hore and Mealamu is that their main job in the squad is to mentor Coles and the other young hookers that are coming in and training with the ABs every week - that's not even a secret or up for debate Hansen has been very honest about that.

If Mealamu isn't good enough, he should be dropped. Right now he is good enough, so he should be retained. He doesn't have to do anything; he is a player, not a selector and has no responsibility to determine who should play where.

I think the problem is the other guys are just not ready.

Hika would have made the squad if his lineout throwing was better in the super finals.
And Coltman and Marshall are just too green, you would have to think Coltman will be on the EoY tour though.
Flynn isn't a 2015 option either, same bracket as Hore and Mealamu really.

I mean what has mealamu done this year? started super rugby l late and mostly worked the blues bench while Parsons was pretty good and generally looked the better Blues hooker.

I think the problem is the other guys are just not ready.

Hika would have made the squad if his lineout throwing was better in the super finals.
And Coltman and Marshall are just too green, you would have to think Coltman will be on the EoY tour though.
Flynn isn't a 2015 option either, same bracket as Hore and Mealamu really.

I mean what has mealamu done this year? started super rugby l late and mostly worked the blues bench while Parsons was pretty good and generally looked the better Blues hooker.

Like williams said, mealamu has just been himself. He hasnt been playing terrible for Blues given his return from injury and he's a solid consistent player, for the Blues and ABs. So why wouldnt the ABs pick him?? He's also one of the most experienced ABs so that factors into his selection as well.

Like williams said, mealamu has just been himself. He hasnt been playing terrible for Blues given his return from injury and he's a solid consistent player, for the Blues and ABs. So why wouldnt the ABs pick him?? He's also one of the most experienced ABs so that factors into his selection as well.

Glad you've said it too mate - more and more on this forum (and in general) I'm starting to realise many people don't acknowledge that experience is a huge part of team selection. Becomes even more important when you are thin in a particular position. Ref: Mealamu, Hore & Nonu and to a lesser extent McCaw, Woodcock, DC. IMHO it simply comes down to rugby naivety as to the reason you have a large number of "rugby pundants" call for these guys heads...I think Hansen hs got it absolutely SPOT ON with his squad selection. He has a fantastic balance of youth and experience, he looks after his treasured experienced players, resting them where necessary, but playing them when it counts, but the main thing is that the new guys have some fantastic role models to look up to as they develop through the AB system.

With respect to the discussion on Mealamu, what Larsea and others appear to be overlooking, is that Mealamu is a arguably (bar McCaw) the most respected senior player the ABs have got, in a position we are short of depth in – not to mention he is still a bloody good hooker. The combination of the former two though, make him an integral member of the ABs moving forward.

Latest posts