• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

An overseas All Black is just a matter of time

In two minds over this:

I can see why it's best to only go for home-grown players, but as the article says 'money talks'.

The main thing should be is the overseas player still of sufficient merit that he warrants a place in the team, and also is there an agreement/understanding in place that if called up he can travel to meet with the squad for training?

A similar thing applies in Wales - the WRU/Warren Gatland/whomever only want players picked from the four main regions, with a handful of exceptions. Are they wrong to prevent, for instance, a Welsh player playing in New Zealand from participating in the Wales squad? Wales have Hadleigh Parks in their team, yet he qualifies on residency... if that's okay with Wales then it should be vis-a-vis for other nations, including New Zealand?

Until the financial balance is change so that it's as lucrative to stay in New Zealand as it is to go to Europe, nothing will change. Same with Wales and their players earning more in England, France etc.

theres a lot more than money at stake here.
if players start leaving NZ shores then they arent playing in any domestic comps.

this lowers the level of quality of those comps meaning less quality players coming through the system. this would be the death knell for NZ rugby.

its still a huge deal to play an AB at club level.

also the ABs greatest attribute is team work. having the players play each other and come together frequently through out the year contributes to this cohesion. this cant be done if the team tries to gather in NZ when half or more of its players are in europe. would put a stop to AB camps being run during super.

if they do do it i hope they start with something like only AB's with 50+ tests are eligible or something, a lot of those guys dont play any NPC and have a delayed start to super rugby so less of a loss anyway

a lot of those guys dont play any NPC and have a delayed start to super rugby so less of a loss anyway
yup agree, but its all the fringe players that contribute to NPC as well that would be a huge loss.
ABs staying in Super still works, as long as they have contract caveat that they're released for all ABs games.

I hope it never happens either. Considering we run an only slightly more lenient system if it falls apart there our players will certainly start to look at it thinking if the NZ jersey isn't a big enough draw to stay at home the green one isn't either.

I hope it never happens either. Considering we run an only slightly more lenient system if it falls apart there our players will certainly start to look at it thinking if the NZ jersey isn't a big enough draw to stay at home the green one isn't either.

Whilst pride makes the Jersey, money provides the means by which to live.

I like Jabby's idea - that would ensure players could play overseas (if they wished), plus the 'production factory' for the next generation of talents keeps putting out potential world-beaters.

another option would be AB's had to be contracted to a domestic team but cold be "loaned" to an overseas team for a fee, that way the home unions would still get something out of the deal to help bring through the next group of youngsters.

another option would be AB's had to be contracted to a domestic team but cold be "loaned" to an overseas team for a fee, that way the home unions would still get something out of the deal to help bring through the next group of youngsters.
that would be a good idea for Samoan rugby. will mean PI nations will actually benefit from all their exported players that play around the world