Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Counties Manukau 24
North Harbour 23

Tana Umaga has declared an interest in playing Super Rugby next season, but played the first 40 minutes yesterday like a man planning to go one level higher.

He started and finished the move for the first try. A clean angled break and sweet offload to Ahsee Tuala started the move and he finished it with an even sharper angle from the right flank, cutting back to score near the posts.
Umaga had a hand in the second try, a neat offload sparking the move that saw Tim Nanai-Williams skin Ken Pisi and fend off Luke McAlister.

Harbour's tackling was poor.
But Counties couldn't capitalise on a surfeit of breaks and possession. Tuala came closest to getting a third after Dean Cummins sent a deep, angled kick behind the Harbour outside backs.
The Harbour bench emptied early, as injuries took a reluctant McAlister from the field along with captain Michael Reid.
When prop Ben Afeaki got one for the visitors after a rare spell in the Counties 22, it seemed those lost opportunities would weigh heavily. The 14-10 halftime score seemed a shade light.
Cummins added three points from a breakdown penalty out in front two minutes into the second half, but Harbour soon rallied.
The hulking No8 Mathew Luamanu blasted 20 metres from the base of a scrum, creating the melee from which halfback Chris Smylie tapped a penalty and scored. Harris botched the simple conversion.
There were more Harbour substitutions - Luamanu exiting to the hosts' relief - and, predictably, the game lost its shape in the final 20 minutes. Which suited Nanai-Williams fine.
One 30-metre break from the fullback in the 61st minute left tacklers clutching at air. Three minutes later, he capitalised on Simon Lemalu's shrewd switch of play and Mayhew's generosity, the Harbour flanker leaving the door open for the Counties fullback to score.

I will hate myself for saying it but I'm going to anyway.

All I can think about when I see Tana playing so well now is why didn't he stick around for the 2007 world cup? Hell he wouldn't look out of place in the current All Blacks Squad.

I dont know. I do respect that he retired from International rugby with a bit less than two years till the 07 WC to allow time for a replacement to be found. But the reality is Tana never did get replaced. Smith wasn't up to scratch back then, it's only been the last two years he's been a good international player and been mostly injury free.

maybe I'm being harsh but I just think it was weak for Tana to retire with less than two years till a world cup when at the time he was maybe the best mid fielder in the world and a great leader too. And when I see him playing this well now I cant help but think he would have still been awesome 3 years ago.

I know how you feel, I felt the same when he announced his retirement. But I thought to myself, it's best for him to go out on a high as All Black captain rather than stick around with the possibility of him becoming a worse player and then everyone labelling him a has-been.
I have always regarded Tana as thee best centre in the world and judging by his form in the ITM cup this year, I'd say he's not too far behind from capturing that ***le again.

yeah, he's one of the greats, awesome player. But it has to be said he did play it safe and for me anyway the fact he didn't man up and commit to 2007 does tarnish his carrier some what.

And to see him playing like this now there is no question for me that he would have still had the goods three years ago.

yeah, he's one of the greats, awesome player. But it has to be said he did play it safe and for me anyway the fact he didn't man up and commit to 2007 does tarnish his carrier some what.

And to see him playing like this now there is no question for me that he would have still had the goods three years ago.

Wow, Tana's career is tarnished? He hasn't "manned up"? Hopefully you meant something other than that but typed in haste, as I agree with most everything else you've said.

Damn this is like the complete opposite of your first post in this thread lol

well I'm not suprised you say that because I'm torn on the issue. Such an awesome player and deserves respect for what he's done. But as I said for me I'll always remember him for being the guy who ended his carrier at the end of 2005 when the going was easy and not 2007 when it would have mattered.

But i'm sure he had his reasons, maybe even regrets about it. Who knows.

Disagreed 100%. To everything said.

74 test matches takes its toll and at 32 years of age, he'd have struggled to continue with top flight rugby. Conrad Smith is in my mind the best center in the world. It's taken him a while to get to where he is today, but delaying him regular starts untill 2007 means he may not have reached the level he is at today. "It's better to burn out than fade away", and the Lions platform as well as a grand slam, gave him that oppertunity. I'd like to see him back in the All Blacks as much as anyone, but both Nonu and Smith have stepped up to be awsome players, and that may not have happened with Umaga in the starting XV.

As far as him making an awsome comeback, to be "the best center in the world" I can't see it happening. He isn't able to get regular game time, with his body not what it was. Would you take him over Smith, Nonu, Fruean, SBW (I would, haha), Ranger, Toeava etc? Because many of these athletes are in their prime, and are trying to earn a great career in the All Blacks, something which Umaga has already earned many times over. Don't get me wrong, Umaga is in my mind was the best center in the world, period (And I've had my fare share of flack from some of the Irish boys, for saying so), but the only thing more sad than a great athlete retiring, is a great athlete slowly becoming a mediocre one.

Last edited:
but the only thing more sad than a great athlete retiring, is a great athlete slowly becoming a mediocre one.

I agree with everything but that last part. Some people just love the game and would want to play it at any level, whether that be All Blacks or local club level and there's nothing wrong with that. Saying it's a sad spectacle is a bit harsh really and only applicable if they are taking beatings at the level they are playing and really getting little out of the game. Not the case here.

Being obsessed with going out on top is sometimes an ego thing too, but in reality it's down to every athlete how they finish. We're their fans, but they are human beings like us and their choices need to be respected. :)

I agree with everything but that last part. Some people just love the game and would want to play it at any level, whether that be All Blacks or local club level and there's nothing wrong with that.

Being obsessed with going out on top is sometimes an ego thing too, but in reality it's down to every athlete how they finish. We're their fans, but they are human beings like us and their choices need to be respected. :)
I understand the love of the game, and I agree that that's commendable. Lomu playing in 3rd devision in France I think shows real passion for the game, and I think the same of Umaga. But you can get to a point where a players body isn't able to hold up, and that decline I find very sad.

Disagreed 100%. To everything said.

74 test matches takes its toll and at 32 years of age, he'd have struggled to continue with top flight rugby. Conrad Smith is in my mind the best center in the world. It's taken him a while to get to where he is today, but delaying him regular starts untill 2007 means he may not have reached the level he is at today. "It's better to burn out than fade away", and the Lions platform as well as a grand slam, gave him that oppertunity. I'd like to see him back in the All Blacks as much as anyone, but both Nonu and Smith have stepped up to be awsome players, and that may not have happened with Umaga in the starting XV.

As far as him making an awsome comeback, to be "the best center in the world" I can't see it happening. He isn't able to get regular game time, with his body not what it was. Would you take him over Smith, Nonu, Fruean, SBW (I would, haha), Ranger, Toeava etc? Because many of these athletes are in their prime, and are trying to earn a great career in the All Blacks, something which Umaga has already earned many times over. Don't get me wrong, Umaga is in my mind was the best center in the world, period (And I've had my fare share of flack from some of the Irish boys, for saying so), but the only thing more sad than a great athlete retiring, is a great athlete slowly becoming a mediocre one.

I would take Umaga over SBW and Ranger at the moment for the simple fact that he is a lot safer when it comes to defense. Not many people get passed Tana Umaga and his cover defense is second to none. I think SBW and Ranger need to work on this.
Also, Umaga may not have the super hero style of offload that SBW has, but Umaga does have a very good offload game. When he is not breaking/beating tackles he keeps himself up long enough to look for the offload and succeeds 90% of the time.
So Umaga doesn't lack on the attacking department either. He offers alot more than what Ranger has at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love Ranger for his busting runs but that's close to all he has going for him he is greedy.
But, they will be able to last longer than Umaga and that is the only upper hand they have on him.

Also, Toeava has never convinced me so Umaga comes before Isaia anytime IMO.

I would take Umaga over SBW and Ranger at the moment for the simple fact that he is a lot safer when it comes to defense. Not many people get passed Tana Umaga and his cover defense is second to none. I think SBW and Ranger need to work on this.
Also, Umaga may not have the super hero style of offload that SBW has, but Umaga does have a very good offload game. When he is not breaking/beating tackles he keeps himself up long enough to look for the offload and succeeds 90% of the time.
So Umaga doesn't lack on the attacking department either. He offers alot more than what Ranger has at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love Ranger for his busting runs but that's close to all he has going for him he is greedy.
But, they will be able to last longer than Umaga and that is the only upper hand they have on him.

Also, Toeava has never convinced me so Umaga comes before Isaia anytime IMO.

Take him as what? an All Black? He wouldn't make himself available for that - he's in SBW's camp, and wants him to be an All Black ... he is only talking about a Super rugby come back, and as such, would make a great addition in any Super squad in World Cup year as he won't have the restrictions on him that the ABs will have.

Take him as what? an All Black? He wouldn't make himself available for that - he's in SBW's camp, and wants him to be an All Black ... he is only talking about a Super rugby come back, and as such, would make a great addition in any Super squad in World Cup year as he won't have the restrictions on him that the ABs will have.

Dude cool down, I wasn't saying they SHOULD take him for the All Blacks. I was just saying in my own opinion he has the potential at the moment. I don't expect Umaga to try and make the All Blacks, I don't even expect him to get a Super Rugby contract.
And your statement of "He wouldn't make himself available for that - he's in SBW's camp"
I know Umaga is supporting SBW in his mission to become an All Black, but that doesn't mean he won't accept it if the opportunity arises. Actually he has already stated on national television that if the opportunity is there and the coaches think he's up for it then he will take it on.
Just because SBW is going for a spot doesn't mean Umaga will sit a side, did you forget there are two centre roles in a rugby team, not to mention numerous bench spots as well..

Dude cool down, I wasn't saying they SHOULD take him for the All Blacks. I was just saying in my own opinion he has the potential at the moment. I don't expect Umaga to try and make the All Blacks, I don't even expect him to get a Super Rugby contract.
And your statement of "He wouldn't make himself available for that - he's in SBW's camp"
I know Umaga is supporting SBW in his mission to become an All Black, but that doesn't mean he won't accept it if the opportunity arises. Actually he has already stated on national television that if the opportunity is there and the coaches think he's up for it then he will take it on.
Just because SBW is going for a spot doesn't mean Umaga will sit a side, did you forget there are two centre roles in a rugby team, not to mention numerous bench spots as well..

Hey Dizzy, I am calm don't worry ... I realise that you're just stating your opinion (that's what forums are for, right?)

I concede/retract my statement on whether Umaga would accept the All Black Jersey or not, based on the fact that he has stated on National TV that he would ... I haven't seen that, so just based my opinion on his work with SBW in France, and him trying to lure SBW to Counties

I do hope someone offers Tana a Super contract as I do see his role as a role model/mentor for up and coming players, but i do think (IMO) that he is past his best, and wouldn't be up to All Black level

Hey Dizzy, I am calm don't worry ... I realise that you're just stating your opinion (that's what forums are for, right?)

I concede/retract my statement on whether Umaga would accept the All Black Jersey or not, based on the fact that he has stated on National TV that he would ... I haven't seen that, so just based my opinion on his work with SBW in France, and him trying to lure SBW to Counties

I do hope someone offers Tana a Super contract as I do see his role as a role model/mentor for up and coming players, but i do think (IMO) that he is past his best, and wouldn't be up to All Black level

Sorry for the calm down statement, I misread your post lol.
And I do regrettably[if thats a word, i doubt it] agree with you on that one. Tana still has alot of skill and talent to play decent rugby, but All Black level, I honestly cannot see him playing. As much as I regret having any doubt about Umaga I know it's true, he wouldn't last.

I understand what you meant by him helping SBW in France and trying to lure him to Counties. I know just like every other New Zealander that there is no doubt SBW will become an All Black, he is All Black bound. It would be silly not to take him, he is a stand out New Zealand player, he has the most influence in the media of all rugby players and just having him in the squad will attract alot of people to watch the team[Look at everyone following Canterbury now that he is there]

Counties Manukau 24
North Harbour 23

Tana Umaga has declared an interest in playing Super Rugby next season, but played the first 40 minutes yesterday like a man planning to go one level higher.

He started and finished the move for the first try. A clean angled break and sweet offload to Ahsee Tuala started the move and he finished it with an even sharper angle from the right flank, cutting back to score near the posts.
Umaga had a hand in the second try, a neat offload sparking the move that saw Tim Nanai-Williams skin Ken Pisi and fend off Luke McAlister.

Harbour's tackling was poor.
But Counties couldn't capitalise on a surfeit of breaks and possession. Tuala came closest to getting a third after Dean Cummins sent a deep, angled kick behind the Harbour outside backs.
The Harbour bench emptied early, as injuries took a reluctant McAlister from the field along with captain Michael Reid.
When prop Ben Afeaki got one for the visitors after a rare spell in the Counties 22, it seemed those lost opportunities would weigh heavily. The 14-10 halftime score seemed a shade light.
Cummins added three points from a breakdown penalty out in front two minutes into the second half, but Harbour soon rallied.
The hulking No8 Mathew Luamanu blasted 20 metres from the base of a scrum, creating the melee from which halfback Chris Smylie tapped a penalty and scored. Harris botched the simple conversion.
There were more Harbour substitutions - Luamanu exiting to the hosts' relief - and, predictably, the game lost its shape in the final 20 minutes. Which suited Nanai-Williams fine.
One 30-metre break from the fullback in the 61st minute left tacklers clutching at air. Three minutes later, he capitalised on Simon Lemalu's shrewd switch of play and Mayhew's generosity, the Harbour flanker leaving the door open for the Counties fullback to score.

He is the KING

I can't see anything surprising in Umaga's great play :)))))) I expected that way

Sorry for the calm down statement, I misread your post lol.
And I do regrettably[if thats a word, i doubt it] agree with you on that one. Tana still has alot of skill and talent to play decent rugby, but All Black level, I honestly cannot see him playing. As much as I regret having any doubt about Umaga I know it's true, he wouldn't last.

I understand what you meant by him helping SBW in France and trying to lure him to Counties. I know just like every other New Zealander that there is no doubt SBW will become an All Black, he is All Black bound. It would be silly not to take him, he is a stand out New Zealand player, he has the most influence in the media of all rugby players and just having him in the squad will attract alot of people to watch the team[Look at everyone following Canterbury now that he is there]

HEHE ... All good Dizzy :D ... I know Tana is still a force, I just wish he was a couple of years younger and at the peak of hi8s powers ... anyway, bring on the UK tour ... I want to see how the new guys go (if they pick any)

Umaga's only played about two full games this whole season. he played a good game and scored his first try for the season, yeah his defence is great for counties but come on his best days are behind him and idk if his body will even be able to handle super rugby level.

nonu and smith could have been a great combo for 2007 but henry didn't play them very often, they've only been regular starters since 2008 and that was only because McAlister and MacDonald (Muliaina was used as a center in 07) went overseas.

Last edited:

Latest posts