• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Sunak really is a dead man walking now. You've got to wonder how the Tories recover from this. Maybe their broad church party doesn't really work anymore. The one nation Tories and far right are so badly divided and poles apart in terms of ideology. Maybe it's best they go their separate ways.
Neither wants to give up the brand. It's never been about being a broad church, but that neither want to lose the Conservative name. Look what happened to the last lot that left. I can't remember what they were called at all, though in fairness they did have a **** name.

Sunak really is a dead man walking now. You've got to wonder how the Tories recover from this. Maybe their broad church party doesn't really work anymore. The one nation Tories and far right are so badly divided and poles apart in terms of ideology. Maybe it's best they go their separate ways.
They managed to recover from the Blair years in many ways more successfully than before. They have been in power 14 years after being out of power for 13. The Tories are the most successful political party in the history of Britain. They will be back.

Neither wants to give up the brand. It's never been about being a broad church, but that neither want to lose the Conservative name. Look what happened to the last lot that left. I can't remember what they were called at all, though in fairness they did have a **** name.

Agree about neither side wanting to give up the brand. I think those who left were relatively lightweight including Anna Soubry. Change UK was the party - which isn't a million miles away from Reform UK. A parting of the ways was probably wishful thinking on my part and so a lengthy stint in the wilderness is probably more realistic. I suspect they'll lurch to the right as an opposition party and will be pushing the narrative of Labour failing to stop the boats and pandering to the EU.

They managed to recover from the Blair years in many ways more successfully than before. They have been in power 14 years after being out of power for 13. The Tories are the most successful political party in the history of Britain. They will be back.
Yeah but to come back they needed a center right leader in Cameron. They are going to far greater extremes this time than Hague/IDS/Howard

The Tories under major were very different to the Tories now. The complete abandoning of sanity and the rise of another far right party sucking up part of their vote mean they are leaning more towards the extremes. They also don't seem to have realised that the radicalisation is hurting them rather than helping so are quadrupling down on it.

The Tories under major were very different to the Tories now. The complete abandoning of sanity and the rise of another far right party sucking up part of their vote mean they are leaning more towards the extremes. They also don't seem to have realised that the radicalisation is hurting them rather than helping so are quadrupling down on it.
Pretty sure the BNP were about in the 90s and even won some council seats.

The comment about radicalisation is interesting because that was something the Labour party tending to quite often (Foot, Corbyn) only to swing back to more central leaders (Blair,Starmer) when they really wanted to win elections. Perhaps the Tories are going to go through the same process?

Yeah nothing at all to do with Boris, Partygate, Truss crashing the economy, Brexit being so damaging and 15 years of decline under their leadership. She really is a vile pierce of work.

BBC News - Local election results live: Suella Braverman says Rishi Sunak needs to own this and change course - BBC News
Change course?

In the mind of a tory, that means go more right wing...because that will solve the problem. I fear as others above have said, the tories will hold onto power for as long as possible.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think in what universe going further to the right will see better election results for the Tories. It's all about prepping for the leadership contest post election and trying to drive the narrative on a Labour governement.

I'm struggling to think who on center right they'd win back by doing that.

Trying to copy the republican playbook but with a completely different electoral system.

I think they are hoping to get a few Rwanda flights going. Get a slight uptick in the economy (which will still be ****, just less **** and they will spin it as amazing) and hope they can force a hung parliament. Then hope Labour make a go of it in a minority government and when things start falling apart point to the "stability" under them. It's desperate stuff and a long shot, but all they've got.

Part of me wants Braverman to become Tory leader, put her vision to the country over the next few years and then get hammered at the ballot box. Not convinced she'd be that popular with the Tory membership bearing in mind they are typically old white men. I'm sure many of them are uneasy about having a non white party leader/PM. There's probably going to be a lot of infighting over the next few years. Wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two leadership contests before 2029. I think it would suit Labour to have someone like her as opposition leader given that she's very easy to dislike from the electorate's perspective.

Part of me wants Braverman to become Tory leader, put her vision to the country over the next few years and then get hammered at the ballot box. Not convinced she'd be that popular with the Tory membership bearing in mind they are typically old white men. I'm sure many of them are uneasy about having a non white party leader/PM. There's probably going to be a lot of infighting over the next few years. Wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two leadership contests before 2029. I think it would suit Labour to have someone like her as opposition leader given that she's very easy to dislike from the electorate's perspective.
The party have been a flag in the wind for a long time - long before Cameron got them into power. Cameron (I think) said he couldn't believe how easy the party was to control at first. As they were power sharing with the lib dems they just carried on as they were, but once that was over the problems started. The horrible policies Osborne had put in place were slowly hurting and people could feel it. Then along comes Farage to add more fuel to the fire and point fingers at the EU for the problems here.

I don't really need to go any further as we all know what happened next. Multiple MPs and PMs leaving, stances changed etc. Sunak has somewhat held that back, but once he goes, I would not be surprised if they start again.

Yay culture war bullshit. I love never been to a venue other pop up ones that used shared bathrooms.

Actually the pop venue was great everyone in queue was actually saying how much more safer it felt. (Obviously had our own cubicles)

Latest posts