• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Natal Sharks Thread

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Not The Sharks Thread as in the Super Rugby forum, just a Sharks thread.

-Anyone heard anything new about Riaan Viljoen joining the Sharks? I have been a fan of his for a while now an I think he would be a great addition. That being said, we could heard more 'poaching Sharks *******' comments, and deprive the now up and coming Cheetahs of a very good talent.
-Marcell Coetzee, what a player! We will have six good backrowers (Coetzee, Daniel, Botes, Deysel, Alberts, Kankowski) vying for three spots.
-Anton Bresler seems to be doing well and could fill the void left by Sykes and Mostert.

I changed the name to A Natal Sharks Thread which makes it easier to distinguish it from the Super Rugby franchise ;)

I love seeing the younger players emerge while regular starters are unavailable. We have almost a complete line-up missing at this stage with the following players:

Mtawarira, Bismarck du Plessis, John Smit, Jannie du Plessis, Hargreaves, Mostert*, Sykes, Kankowski, Deysel, Alberts, McLeod, Lambie, Ndungane, Pietersen and Mvovo are all part of the Bok squad or injured.

* Mostert has left the Sharks but I still add him to the equation.

It's guys like Dale Chadwick, Wiehahn Herbst, Anton Bresler, Marcell Coetzee, Ross Cronje, Mark Richards, Jandre Marais, Cobus Reinach, Sibusiso Sithole, Kyle Cooper and Frana Kleinhans who get a chance to show what they can do. The only real experienced players are Louis Ludik, Stefan Terblanche, Craig Burden, Jacques Botes, Keegan Daniel, Ross Skeate, Freddy Michalak and Marius Joubert in the 22 these last 2 weeks.

I love to see Wynand Pienaar and Kobus de Kock get a chance as well. Let's see what the season will bring. If things go the way it looks now, the Sharks will win the Currie Cup once again, having massive depth compared to the Bulls and Western Province.

Powermad admin ;)

Yeah, I like seeing the younger lads given a go during the CC. I didn't realise the depth we have in the squad, especially considering we are missing our first choice front row, second row, back row, halfbacks and wings.

Perhaps we will see Paul Jordaan this year, unless Joubert and Bosman form a good partnership. I'm hoping Bosman can regain his confidence, as he is still young and could have a few good seasons with us.

I echoe the sentiments of you guys, the fact that so many players are away is a big drawback for supporters here, with at least 3/4 of people not giving a jobby about the CC until the Tri-Nations is over and then all of a sudden go ZOMG!?! Y r wE nOT ToP of da lOG!?! SAcK Da ShARkS! DiE resERVes R shite!?!

However I love the Bokless part of the CC, you tend to see only the 'hardcore' supporters at the grounds, and most of them are quiet knowledgeable and don't boo the ref/ opposition kickers (much, hehe)

And I also love watching the young players stepping up from the under 21s and Youth Academy, and the satisfaction of saying: Yeah, I watched that guy when he was at school/ playing club rugby.
The element of the unkown, the close games where a debutant can put on a star performance and change the result, all the fustration during the games, only to watch the highlites and say: Meh, we weren't so bad, at we know player X can do this, player Y can work on this and yadda yadda

You also tend to see a lot more passion from the younger players, like Marcell Coetzee's try against the Bulls in week 1 (however I am no fan of swan dives, he must get that out of his system). As well as players like Craig Burden being given more freedom in looser games.

As for this week, if you managed to see the highlites of the Pumas game, you would have seen that Michalak had a hamstring injury, and several other players face late fitness tests like Joubert (nose), but apart from those two the management are optimistic on players passing
Oh, and if there ever was a video definition of torrential rain, it will involve Durban this week. It has just been constant downpours... Even waterpolo practices are being cancelled! So the game against the Cheetahs will more than likely be played on a wet field, and in 'cold' weather ( personally I don't mind the rain, I like seeing other people being miserable for a change :p )

Last edited:
So...
Here are my thoughts on what I think the Sharks may line up like next year, I think we have 2 full teams (with subs) capable of challenging for at least the CC, which will bode well for when the entire Superrugby squad is called up after winning the S15 whilst conceding an average of 2.97 points a game ;)

15. Riaan Viljoen
14. Lwazi Mvovo
13. Marius Joubert
12. Patrick Lambie
11. JP Pietersen
10. Fedrick Michalak
9. Conrad Hoffman

8. Willem Alberts
7. Jean Deysel
6. Keegan Daniel
5. Allistair Hargreaves
4. Anton Bresler (Been alternated at 4 and 5 so much, I can't decide which he is)
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtwarira

16. Craig Burden
17. Eugen van Staden
18. Ross Skeate
19. Ryan Kankowski
20. Ross Cronje
21. Meyer Bosman
22. Louis Ludik

15. Gouws Prinsloo
14. Sibusiso Sithole
13. Piet Lindique (not sure if Adi will be here next year)
12. Paul Jordaan
11. Luzuko Vulindlu
10. Jacque-Louis Potgeiter
9. Charl McLeod

8. Francios Kleinhans
7. Marcell Coetzee
6. Jacques Botes
5. Jan-Andre Marais
4. Peet Marais
3. Whehan Herbst (sp.)
2. Kyle Cooper
1. Dale Chadwick

Hmmm, will have to consult my doodles, nae commenting on me line-ups until the doodles are checked!

Not bad line ups. My only changes would be Herbst for van Staden and Richards for Vulindlu.
I didn't realise the depth that we had!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how long Michalak is with us for?

He is signed with us until the end of next year

As forRichards, I completely forgot about him... Which is why I asked for my team(s) not to be commented until complete ;)

Last edited:
Just a random thought, but with Bosman fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a stadium turnstile, we need someone who can tackle at 12.
Lambie has been suggested for inside centre, but I do think his future lies at 10. What about... Henson? Yeah, he goes from club to club and whatever, but on form he is an immense defender and great playmaker.
Plumtree himself said he would welcome Henson last year, and has already worked with Gavin; earlier in his career at Swansea RFC.

Team to face Western Province at Newlands.
15. Louis Ludik
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Stefan Terblanche
12. Patrick Lambie
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Frederic Michalak
9. Charl McLeod
8. Keegan Daniel (captain)
7. Marcell Coetzee
6. Jacques Botes
5. Ross Skeate
4. Anton Bresler
3. Eugene van Staden
2. Craig Burden
1. Dale Chadwick

Replacements
16. Kyle Cooper
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Jan Andre Marais
19. Francois Kleinhans
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Adrian Jacobs
22. Marius Joubert
http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/news/general/110810/Bok_Boost_for_Sharks

McLeod worries me, especially in place of on-form Ross Cronje. Same with Ndungane, Richards and Sithole have been in good form.

De Kock leaves for Italian adventure

Sharks XV fullback Kobus de Kock has signed a two-year deal with Italian club side Lazio, which will see him leave South Africa on 3 September.

De Kock, a product of Paarl Boys High who smashed the school's try-scoring record in his Matric year, dotting down 22 times in the 2006 season, joined the Sharks Academy in 2007. He was struck down by injury, though, spending 18 months out of the game as a result of shoulder and knee injuries that required three operations and much rehab to correct. He fought his way back into contention and was a surprise pick – as an uncontracted player -for Sean Everitt's Vodacom Cup side this year, where he went on to score seven tries in as many appearances, playing at fullback.

De Kock was, alarmingly, not offered a Sharks contract after the Vodacom Cup season and after excelling for College Rovers in the club game for a few months, has decided to further his career in the blue-and-white hoops of Lazio. He'll be joining up with another former South African in lock Ruahan van Jaarsveld, who incidentally also played a few Vodacom Cup games for the Sharks a couple of years back.

Speaking ahead of his departure, a clearly excited de Kock said that he is "very happy to get out of my comfort zone. It will be something very different for me and I'm sure I will learn a lot and grow up as a rugby player. Everyone wants to go overseas at some stage and my time has just come earlier [than most]. I will be away from home for a long time, but I'm used to that, so it's cool; it will also be nice to experience Europe and see the different cultures."

source: http://www.sharksworld.co.za/2011/08/12/de-kock-leaves-for-italian-adventure/

This is sad to see. A talented youngster to leave, and not even for a top competition. He will play in the domestic Italian league :(

Sharks team for the Leopards clash...

Sharks: Louis Ludik, Odwa Ndungane, Marius Joubert, Meyer Bosman, Sibusiso Sithole, Frederic Michalak, Conrad Hoffmann, Ryan Kankowski, Marcell Coetzee, Jacques Botes (captain) , Ross Skeate, Anton Bresler, Wiehahn Herbst, Craig Burden, Dale Chadwick.

Replacements: Kyle Cooper, Eugene van Staden, Alistair Hargreaves, Keegan Daniel, Charl McLeod, Adrian Jacobs, Stefan Terblanche.

Hoffman returns to strutnhisnstuff

Doesn't appear to be injured... I suppose he has just fallen out of favour, which is a pity I agree

Seriously, he was one of the players who actually managed to step up when he got a chance and now Knock-on McLeod is picked over him again together with Hoffmann

Seriously, he was one of the players who actually managed to step up when he got a chance and now Knock-on McLeod is picked over him again together with Hoffmann

To be fair, I know a coach shouldn't succumb to media and fan pressure, but there was a MASSIVE over-reaction when we lost to the Griquas, with a fair few pot-head fans threatening to boycott games (not that most of these 'boycotters' actually attend games anyway) just because the returning Boks weren't started, the same Boks which came on when we were in a winning position.

Just about ever sports critic and journalist had a go at Plumtree, and I am disappointed because as I said, I think he has given into this criticism.

The issue is that, without the Boks on the field, we were leading at half time (14-16) and it was only after they came on to the field we threw away the win. I am not saying the Boks are solely responsible but it does raise some questions about the people criticising the coach for not starting with the Boks

Kanko is out for 4 weeks with an injury.

With Deysel back, I wonder what Plum will do. Coetzee has been good this season, if not our best player, so I don't think he'll drop him, but a loose trio with Deysel and Coetzee is a little unbalanced.

However it would certainly be interesting to see a performance with both of them starting.

Need to beat the Bulls, however they have a few of their Boks back and will be much tougher to beat than in the first round

My guess is they will go with 6) Deysel 7) Coetzee and @ 8 Daniel....with Botes on the bench?

PS. This is the game of the weekend...nice little curtain raiser before this one... ;)

Latest posts