• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 things THE GOOD AND 5 things BAD AT THIS WORLD CUP

Oh I forgot one very good thing.

More activity on TRF! Hoping a lot of the new faces will stick around.

did a whole bunch of by RL is Tougher's posts get deleted I'm not seeing any...

What? How much rugby union do you watch? He's not even the best passer at his club, let alone the sport as a whole.

Hee Hee,I like that.It reminds me of when John Lennon was once asked if Ringo was probably the best drummer in the world.He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles was Lennons wry reply.:)

Last edited:
Sorry folks!Should have read.He's NOT even the best drummer in the Beatles.

What? How much rugby union do you watch? He's not even the best passer at his club, let alone the sport as a whole.

He's getting confused between pass the parcel and pass the ball, you are absolutely spot on he has difficulty passing left if I'm not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry folks!Should have read.He's NOT even the best drummer in the Beatles.

I find it difficult to get involved in the League Union debate, Union is my religion, but I do enjoy league as well to me they are totally different games and long may that remain, the only positions that are in are in any way similar is on the wing, I think its be mentioned on these pages before that the most successful converts from league to union have been wingers. There may be an argument that Union is more skilful game as converts the other way seem to fit into league easier and that in my opinion has been the same for years Billy Boston through to Jonathan Davies and beyond, whilst if you look at some of the disasters that have gone the other way certainly in the NH such as Iestyn Harris, Andy Farrell, Chev Walker, B J Mather and Henry Paul they have been disastrous. In fairness there are succesful converts from RL to RU but apart from wingers these successes seem to be mainly in the SH.

I remember Joel Tomkins coming to play union.Lock or centre(??).He was so out of his depth it was embarrassing.
I'd watch league if there was nothing else on but not keen.

I remember Joel Tomkins coming to play union.Lock or centre(??).He was so out of his depth it was embarrassing.
I'd watch league if there was nothing else on but not keen.
he played centre, how can you know if he's out of he's depth if you don't know what position he played? Centre and lock aren't even similar. He played well for us but struggled to find his feet at international level and was injured after two games. He showed a lot of promise but was injured and the wrong time unfortunately

Sorry,put that badly.Apparently he was able to play lock or centre.I thought it was bizarre as well.Only saw him play at international level(centre) and you're right;he certainly stuggled to find his feet.And was certainly out of his depth at that level.

He never once played lock always centre for both Saracens and England

The Good:

Michael Cheika (seriously, a year ago most Aussies were kind of expecting what happened to England to happen to us)
Japan's performances
The All Blacks against France (from a pure clinical rugby perspective)
Knocking England out of their own world cup
No Northern Hemisphere sides past the quarter finals

The Bad:
WR singling out Craig Joubert for his mistake but not others
Japan not making it to the Qtrs in spite of winning 3 games
Unfair scheduling for some teams
Poor and inconsistent bans for players
Pocock getting injured

Owens - concussion thing

Wait wait wait, is there a Youtube clip of the Owens - concussion thing?

I don't know and I am so old i have no idea how to find one! I can't even remember the player,and who Ireland was playing at the time,(incipient senile dementia, I'm afraid), but it was a lovely moment, reminding me of the time when rugby players were irreverent, and owned their own souls - and their game!

The Good:

Michael Cheika (seriously, a year ago most Aussies were kind of expecting what happened to England to happen to us)
Japan's performances
The All Blacks against France (from a pure clinical rugby perspective)
Knocking England out of their own world cup
No Northern Hemisphere sides past the quarter finals

The Bad:
WR singling out Craig Joubert for his mistake but not others
Japan not making it to the Qtrs in spite of winning 3 games
Unfair scheduling for some teams
Poor and inconsistent bans for players
Pocock getting injured

No plate competition for the 2nd tier teams who managed three wins.... England would still be in the world cup...

The Good
Argentina in the top four (on world rankings too)
Savea's second try v France (... outta my way Froggies!!!)
Japan; they've been a revelation
The next four games ARE the last two rounds of the Rugby Championship
The Crowds and supporters, they've been awesome!!!

The Bad

World Rugby's daft TMO protocols, resulting in
The travesty of Scotland being robbed at the death, and then
World Rugby hanging Joubert out to dry because of it.
Inconsistency in judicial decisions
George Clancy's refereeing (it has been abysmal and mistake ridden)

Er...,well yes.

I'm sure when he came to union.He was first and foremost going to play centre.But there was an option for him in the forwards possibly, as he had experience as a lock in league.
I would imagine there were those who thought he could find a place in the back row if the favoured centre position didn't work out.
All my ?? meant was I thought it strange that someone would be described as lock/centre.Thinking about it ,not unusual in league unheard of in union.

The good
The new posters on here who have added to the discussion, and will hopefully stick around.
The bad
Being so ill for the last two weeks I've barely had the energy to log on and read things, let alone post on them.

Latest posts