• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (08/02/20)

Dewi Lake and Taine Basham called up to the squad officially, no-one released.
Interesting... can't really see either getting any game time (maybe Basham but I doubt it) but it goes to show that Pivac envisions big futures for them both.

@oj121 probably.

Looking forward to this one game of the weekend for me.
Enjoying seeing Dan B playing as he is now at Saints Boyd given him another string to his bow.
WP is certainly using that.
To close to call the game for me a score either way I think if pressed would pick Wales.
No acca for me this weekend.

You Irish are far too kind!

(salt & vinegar... if there's any going spare :cool:)

Was gonna send it Royal Mail... but would probably be out of date by the time it arrived (all crumbled up).

surely the tightest match of the 3 for the round. I would like an Irish victory and think it could go either way... but with a BP for the looser... a thriller at least, till the end, everyone can win :) Wales have had a too easy match over italy, and Ireland didn't expect a scottish that resistant.... Irish are then more ready for a tight encounter...

Ach, the poor wee bearded student who could easily be mistaken for a tramp would be froze solid cycling from here to Wales!
upload_2020-2-5_16-44-53.jpeg

Does anyone know what the situation is with the weather? They seem to be predicting heavy rain and up to 80mph winds - not quite a typhoon, but close!
Even ignoring the issues of trying to play in that, what about the problems of spectators getting to the ground safely, or indeed when inside - would you want to be on the top teir in what is close to a hurricane?

Is there any protocol for postponing a match due to weather? At least, unlike the WC, there are a couple of free weekends that could be used.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the situation is with the weather? They seem to be predicting heavy rain and up to 80mph winds - not quite a typhoon, but close!
Even ignoring the issues of trying to play in that, what about the problems of spectators getting to the ground safely, or indeed when inside - would you want to be on the top teir in what is close to a hurricane?

Is there any protocol for postponing a match due to weather? At least, unlike the WC, there are a couple of free weekends that could be used.
Ah I'd say it will be grand. Set to be a clear enough start on Saturday I think and then reach near enough Gale force in the evening and Sunday. I'd say it will be a windy wet enough affair but should be ok.

Team to play announced
Here is your team for Saturday's game against Ireland:

WALES TEAM TO PLAY IRELAND (Saturday February 8 KO 14.15 ITV & S4C)

15. Leigh Halfpenny (86 Caps)
14. George North (92 Caps)
13. Nick Tompkins (1 Cap)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (26 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (22 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (80 Caps)
9. Tomos Williams (17 Caps)
1. Wyn Jones (23 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (74 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (23 Caps)
4. Jake Ball (43 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (135 Caps)
6. Aaron Wainwright (19 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (73 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (73 Caps)

Replacements:
16. Ryan Elias (10 Caps)
17. Rhys Carre (6 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (7 Caps)
19. Adam Beard (20 Caps)
20. Ross Moriarty (42 Caps)
21. Gareth Davies (51 Caps)
22. Owen Williams (3 Caps)
23. Johnny McNicholl (1 Cap)

Pretty much as expected. Hill has picked up an injury by all accounts, no word on Rob Evans. Happy with G Davies and O Williams on the bench though. Webb wasn't at the races at the breakdown. Feel for J Evans but Williams can cover 12 too

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Nick Tompkins, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Aaron Wainwright, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rhys Carre, Leon Brown, Adam Beard, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Owen Williams, Johnny McNicholl.

Happy that Tompkins gets the start at 13, would've been a big ask for George to take that role in Dublin. McNicholl (& O Williams actually) offers dood cover from the bench.

Hill's injured so Beard gets a chance but surprised Pivac has shown so much confidence in the front row. They will have to worked day and night on their scrummaging if last week is anything to go by.

Happy enough with that.

Feel a little for Rob Evans who had a good cameo off the bench last week I thought, helping to sure up the scrum and a key offload in the build-up to Tompkins' try. I'm not against Rhys Carre, who could develop into a top player for us. Wyn Jones was disappointing, he's lucky to keep his place imo. Dillon Lewis is also a little lucky, because he did appear to be struggling scrum time v Italy. He was more involved in the loose than Jones though, with some good carries and key turnovers achieved.

Shame that Hill is out injured, thought he was excellent during his time on the field last week. Beard needs to step-up after a disappointing WC.

Great to see Tompkins start. I would have probably preferred to see McNicholl stay over North, but he was exposed a few times out wide v Italy, and we all know the impact North can have. He put in a great performance out of nowhere v Ireland a few years back for example.

Bench looks good with Williams offering some good cover at 10/centre. Not the gamechanger Jarrod Evans is, but the weather doesn't look great which may have swayed the decision.

Edit. Apparently WGJ picked up a shoulder injury playing for Sale.

Last edited:

Latest posts