• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Redpath to Bath for three years, immediately,

Six figures coming back the other way is a great bit of business
https://www.salesharks.com/2020/02/24/cameron-redpath-to-leave-sale-sharks/

I do love coaches like Dimes and Cockers.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but they don't take **** from players who get too full of themselves.

Redpath might have a lot of potential but outside of articles by people who watch it/jumped on the Eddie jones selection hype I haven't seen anything that puts him in Luke James bracket.

Redpath to Bath for three years, immediately,

Six figures coming back the other way is a great bit of business
https://www.salesharks.com/2020/02/24/cameron-redpath-to-leave-sale-sharks/
From a Bath perspective - I don't get that.
Not the signing, as it's decent enough, albeit overhyped. But paying 6 figures for immediate release (half a prem season), in a position I'm not aware of us having an injury crisis in... Surely we could have waited until July

ETA: Ah, from the article: "Redpath was in the second year of a five-year contract" that explains it then; and if paying a release fee, then no need to wait.
Of course, I still don't like the buying out of contracts, or making loans to get around inconvenient ones; but then it looks like Sale were no angels in that respect this time either "
The club have reluctantly agreed to accept a six-figure transfer fee to release Cameron from his Sale Sharks contract after unsuccessful negotiations with the player over the past couple of weeks. Redpath was in the second year of a five-year contract". So he's not even half way through his contract, and Sale were actively trying to change the terms...
ETA2: Of course, it could be that Cameron was trying to renegotiate terms having been name checked by Eddie, so I'll hold fire there. One of them is in the wrong, and I'm not fond of Bath sticking their oar in (again)

I do love coaches like Dimes and Cockers.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but they don't take **** from players who get too full of themselves.

Redpath might have a lot of potential but outside of articles by people who watch it/jumped on the Eddie jones selection hype I haven't seen anything that puts him in Luke James bracket.
I've never even seen the potential tbh, and I watch him closely whenever he plays just to try and work out what I'm missing.
The people on his hype train go on about how great he was at age grade, but I don't think u18s really counts for much at senior level.

Will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets more game time at Bath.

So will that 6 figures be coming out of their cap also?
No, why would it? it's a payment from club owner to club owner, neither the player, nor any connected party doesn't see a penny of that bit.

Which I'm sure you know, as we discussed before with [Redacted]

No, why would it? it's a payment from club owner to club owner, neither the player, nor any connected party doesn't see a penny of that bit.

Which I'm sure you know, as we discussed before with [Redacted]

Well there was a time when the transfer rules stated all payments involving the clubs would count.

Now they might have clean it up a bit more and made it more specific.

According to the premiership faq on the salary cap, any payment that has to do with a transfer is charged against the salary cap.

According to the premiership faq on the salary cap, any payment that has to do with a transfer is charged against the salary cap.
I checked with rugbylaw on Twitter and They don't think it is.

Attachments

• 237671EE-E971-462B-9A6B-E35DCA03DE1F.jpeg
    237671EE-E971-462B-9A6B-E35DCA03DE1F.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 8
Well there was a time when the transfer rules stated all payments involving the clubs would count.

Now they might have clean it up a bit more and made it more specific.
Any idea when? We know for a fact that it wasn't when Bath signed [Redacted], and we know it wasn't when Barkley left mid-season.
It also wasn't going to count in the cap when Bath wanted Staff Armitage from Toulon, even though that fell through when Toulon actually named their price.

We also know that it didn't when Farrell Snr moved to Saracens (though the RFU paid that one, so a little different).

I can't remember which of Hape/Eastmond it was who arrived early, thanks to a transfer fee, that also didn't count in the cap.
Ford's transfer fee Leicester => Bath was also outside the cap.

Have you anything on any transfer fee actually counting to the cap?

It's a pretty basic principal, that salary is a payment from a club (or connected party) to a player (or connected party). Any other payments that aren't from the club in any way, or to the player in any way, have always been outside the cap, for as long as anyone has looked at these things.
Signing on fee (club to player) = inside, Transfer fee (club to club) = outside
https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.n...1/28180024/Salary-Cap-Regulations-2019-20.pdf
Specifically, page 39, rule 1.n.(i) which has been there since the very first time I read the actual regulations, not just the précis (which has always lumped signing on and transfer fees together, causing this confusion - which we have debated before, quoting chapter and verse)
(n) subject to Regulation 2.3(b), any signing-on fee, transfer payment, relocation allowance or expense in connection with the transfer of a Player to any club or any payment in connection with the loan of a Player to any club or any other lump sum or option payment. For the avoidance of doubt:
(i) any transfer fees paid by a Club directly to another rugby club or to an officialforeign rugby union in connection with the transfer of a Player to the first-mentioned Club shall be disregarded and shall not count as "Salary" for the purpose of the Regulations.

Last edited:
I can't remember the exact date.
I just remember the wording to be pretty vague at the time.
I suspect it was the précis / FAQ which has always said that it counts, as it doesn't go into the details. (I'm pretty sure that was the case 4 years ago when we had this exact same conversation, including prior examples and quoting detailed regulations Vs précis).

The actual regulations have always been crystal clear, though initially tough to find, so most people just went with the précis.

The same goes for the constant assumptions (not saying that you do this one) that payments to wives, kids etc are outside the cap - it's never been that loose, however many times people insist it is (that stuff was shamateurism, of which Bath were probably the biggest culprits)

Last edited:
Rhys Webb to Bath until the end of the season: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rhys-webb-joins-resurgent-bath-until-end-of-the-season-qxrq29v2g

I had been wondering how we were fitting Redpath's addition under the cap, given that most of Roberts' salary was going to Matavesi.
My guess is that we now know that Catt and Cokanasiga won't okay for us this season, and the same may go for Thomas - which puts them outside the cap and would release a fair wedge of cash, especially as Redpath and Webb will only be for 3-4 months

Protheroe -> Ospreys.

Great signing this for the Ospreys. Far better than Luke Price at 10, and will offer some versatility in the back 3.

Looks like he's also pledged his allegiances to Wales after representing England at U20's. So more good news for us.

Latest posts