• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Chiefs squad named

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...d-as-liam-messam-and-tim-nanaiwilliams-return

Of interest to me in this squad, is if Charlie Ngatai has overcome his concussion issues, and can get himself back in the mix for All Black honours. The loss of SBW to the Blues, and Tamanivalu to the Crusaders, should be compensated for by the return of Nanai-Williams from Japan, and the emergence of Anton Lienert-Brown in the mid field.

I'm also hoping Nepo Laulala has put his injury problems behind him, as The All Blacks tight head options may be a little thin next season.

a lot to talk about so for for the chiefs before the first game

Brad Weber & Mitchell Graham gone for the season already.

The positive notes from the 10s were Liam Messam and Shaun Stevenson.

Stevenson looked sharp, was fast and even operated as a playmaker.

Liam Messam was the interesting point IMO. I honestly didn't know what to expect, he was dropped from the 7's last year and looked ok but not his best when he came back for the chiefs in the later rounds of super rugby. I kinda expected him to come back in a mentor type role and support the younger Guys like Seu and Sanders. But Messams form in the 10's was superb. He looks fit and in very good form. hes bulked up and made quite a big physical impact, he seriously looked back to his best.

Generally I was pretty impressed by the chiefs props at the 10's, front rowers were actually very important and the chiefs guys were an important part of the win.

My understanding is that Charlie Ngatai is still out and not likely to be back any time soon.

Laulala will be a huge comeback. He was a revelation in 2015 and probably deserved a world cup spot.

Weber is going to be seriously missed, he is the chiefs #1 halfback. I don't think its enough for TKB to take up the slack we need one of the new guys to really step up.

Chiefs have a stacked squad as usual, should be dangerous competitors, like they have been in recent times. I still have PTSD from going to the quarter final last year.

Anyway who do you think will start on your other wing? Pulu or Lowe?

Also any truth to the mutterings about DMac being groomed as a future 10?

I'm thinking lowe at 11 for sure and who knows for right wing again this season, hopefully Stevenson gets time and does well, Sam McNicol was brilliant last year and didn't get enough credit, I think hes a potential All Black, Pulu was frustrating I think they wanted to manage Sams time because he was only like 20... only thing for sure is that there is a good group of talent there and its likely they will all get a chance to start and play an impact role.

DMac is a 10 its his best position. Hes only been playing 15 because Cruden is there. For sure he will be groomed to take over from Cruden.

Latest posts