• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Junior World Championship - June 2 to 20

Shhit about to get real here SON

tough guy.jpg

But wait, you're saying there's a girl's name that is called Annalise ? As in, the name itself is called that ?
troll-face.jpg

Very asstute of you.

why thank you. I must say, it's quite ingeniass.......oh crap this is terrible, let's just stop here.

Last edited:
Strong effort by New Zealand A - they look to have been more of a challenge to South Africa than our top side was ;)

Unfortunately I had a prior commitment I could not get out of (no matter how much I protested) so I missed the match.

While I'm glad to see us in the semis I would have preferred to be facing England rather than South Africa again. I probably shouldn't complain - we were lucky to make the semis - but we are still probably psychologically scarred from the hammering South Africa gave us in the last match!

I dunno what the rule is about these things, so I won't post the link, but the game is on youtube if you search for it.

I dunno what the rule is about these things, so I won't post the link, but the game is on youtube if you search for it.

Cheers - that got put up very quickly! I will have to watch it once I get home from work this evening.....

I know its early but so far, who are the contenders for JWC player of the tournament?

You'd think that because those teams had a lot of big names. The 2012 side that beat the Baby Boks had Henderson, Hanrahan, Furlong, Conan and a few others. They're all big talents but in that squad was also some below par players. This team doesn't have many below par players and the squad seems to be stronger. More U19s in this squad so that could be a reason for them taking a bit of time to get up to speed.

The 6 nations didn't go well but they might as well have been playing water polo the weather was so bad.

I think looking at comparative strength of opponent is more of an answer. First year without one of New Zealand, south Africa or England if memory serves.

Hickey is out for the AB's (ankle)
Can't see them beat the Bokkies.

See you in the final England, let's settle this

Jo-jo-jo! Writing off any NZ rugby team like that.... I like it. I'm not sure if I trust it but I do like it!

Jo-jo-jo! Writing off any NZ rugby team like that.... I like it. I'm not sure if I trust it but I do like it!

rather trust the devil you know, than the one you don't...

I think this will play into NZ's favor as we have seen what Hickey can do and could work some sort of plan against him, now with the new guy coming in, it will be unknown territory...

I think looking at comparative strength of opponent is more of an answer. First year without one of New Zealand, south Africa or England if memory serves.

Thats true but its not the whole truth.

Its very even between this side and last years side.

The 2012 team were good but they were very strong from 1 - 10 but not great from 11 - 15.

Thats true but its not the whole truth.

Its very even between this side and last years side.

The 2012 team were good but they were very strong from 1 - 10 but not great from 11 - 15.

Can't agree. Looked up a team-sheet. Farrell, Coghlan-Murray and Nelson were all players I rated back then - Olding regularly came off the bench - thought Michael Sherlock could have been more than he was.

Can't agree. Looked up a team-sheet. Farrell, Coghlan-Murray and Nelson were all players I rated back then - Olding regularly came off the bench - thought Michael Sherlock could have been more than he was.

Coghlan-Murray hasn't broken into the Leinster team yet. Nelson hasn't broken into the Ulster team and doesn't look like he will. Farrell has to leave Ulster for Grenoble, although he is potentially very good. Sherlock dropped out of rugby so we'll never know with him. Also in that team was the sub standard Foster Horan. FH was a center who couldn't pass a rugby ball and who was only there because he played for Ruddock's Lansdowne club.

Compare those with Ringrose/Goggin/Kelleher/Wootton/Gaffney. Theres no weak links in the 2014 players, the center partnership is much more dangerous and the handling and passing is better than 2012 player's. Apart from Chris Farrell, the 2014 players are all bigger too. Pity the 2012 forwards and 2013 backs were not around at the same time because it would have been a strong contender to win the JWC.

Coghlan-Murray hasn't broken into the Leinster team yet. Nelson hasn't broken into the Ulster team and doesn't look like he will. Farrell has to leave Ulster for Grenoble, although he is potentially very good. Sherlock dropped out of rugby so we'll never know with him. Also in that team was the sub standard Foster Horan. FH was a center who couldn't pass a rugby ball and who was only there because he played for Ruddock's Lansdowne club.

Compare those with Ringrose/Goggin/Kelleher/Wootton/Gaffney. Theres no weak links in the 2014 players, the center partnership is much more dangerous and the handling and passing is better than 2012 player's. Apart from Chris Farrell, the 2014 players are all bigger too. Pity the 2012 forwards and 2013 backs were not around at the same time because it would have been a strong contender to win the JWC.

That's not really how it worked out. SCM is a very dangerous player and not breaking into the Leinster team with 4 internationals playing there is hardly a black mark against a 22 year old. Kelleher won't have broken into the Leinster team by the time he's 22 either. Farrell did his cruciate and lost over a season allowing Olding and McCloskey to get in ahead that's why he's leaving. He's plenty of talent and was highly rated. Foster Horan wasn't the best passer but he did his job very well. He was excellent at the crash ball and a big hitter. He was also used on the wing by the end where he had some stand out performances whil Olding played centre.

If you really wanted to pick a backline to go with 2012's pack then 2011 is the one.

SCM's development has been severely hampered by the fact that he got bacterial meningitis and essentially missed a year. He's signed a senior contract and should be good to go. Very talented player.

That's not really how it worked out. SCM is a very dangerous player and not breaking into the Leinster team with 4 internationals playing there is hardly a black mark against a 22 year old. Kelleher won't have broken into the Leinster team by the time he's 22 either. Farrell did his cruciate and lost over a season allowing Olding and McCloskey to get in ahead that's why he's leaving. He's plenty of talent and was highly rated. Foster Horan wasn't the best passer but he did his job very well. He was excellent at the crash ball and a big hitter. He was also used on the wing by the end where he had some stand out performances whil Olding played centre.

If you really wanted to pick a backline to go with 2012's pack then 2011 is the one.

This is good and bad. I'm being fair and accepting SCM has had illness and other issues. But this excuse of hiding behind internationals annoys me. (This isn't aimed at SCM) Some guys that have potential use this but are found out when they come up. Others move to break in to a first team. Fact is while 20s is good indicator it's worthless until guys do get senior. Some may be a good underage player and no more. Others only blossom after 20.

I don't see how we can judge guys like SCM against guys like Ringrose except by their underage credentials. Who knows how either will go?

All I can say is I look back the team sheets and there was some serious talent for the age group there. I simply can't agree that the 2012 side was lacking talent outside of 10.

And, as mentioned, SCM lost a year to meningitis, Farrell's lost two years to injury, and Nelson just lost a year to Anscombe being a prick.

I don't see how we can judge guys like SCM against guys like Ringrose except by their underage credentials. Who knows how either will go?

All I can say is I look back the team sheets and there was some serious talent for the age group there. I simply can't agree that the 2012 side was lacking talent outside of 10.

And, as mentioned, SCM lost a year to meningitis, Farrell's lost two years to injury, and Nelson just lost a year to Anscombe being a prick.

Agreed but out of all mentioned Farrell probably in strongest position at the moment to establish himself as a player.

Hickeys injury is actually a big bonus for New Zealand. He is a very conservative 10 who stands a long way behind the advantage line. He is a good tactical kicker and an excellent goal-kicker, but we aren't going to beat South Africa playing conservatively!

South Africa obviously start this match as firm favourites, but I think it would be a mistake to completely write NZ off....

Careful what you wish for. Hickey has some good attributes and runs a game well.

Not so much lacking talent but they were not as good as the 2013 or 2014 outside backs. None of SCM, Nelson, Horan, Sherlock or Farrell has done well in their careers since. Thats what we do know. Chris Farrell has the talent to make it to international (odds lengthening though) but the others do not.

Latest posts