• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Scotland vs New Zealand

Full-time whistle. Highlight of the match for me ;)

Wish All Black were at Aviva this year  I reckon Ireland would win it

We might play our full strength side against you though .....

As you suggest though it would probably be a close match. Apart from a couple of blow-outs this year the AB's haven't been overly convincing in most of their matches.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Also nothing wrong with ref -= not perfect, but what ref is on any given game.

Curious about that 'pre-emptive' statement...
See the cluster**** of the England v NZ thread.
Anyway, hell of a fight from Scotland, but the fact is that they shouldn't be happy, because that was so winnable for them. Promising signs for the future for sure, but they had a chance to achieve a historic victory.

Wish All Black were at Aviva this year  I reckon Ireland would win it

certainly the best chance out of any of us 6 up here. I'd say it'd have been probable..
A bit like France in 2012...we'll never know.

This match wasn't won by the best of two good teams, it was lost by the worst of two piiss-poor teams. Scotland lost because they were slightly more incompetent, bumbling and inept than the All Blacks.

That one test match that will not be joining my archive, and will be getting deleted from the MySky just as soon as I finish here.

I don't know if i should be disappointed or not with that result. We only lost by 8 compared to the 30+ we have done in the past but we could have done more.

No-one yet but my point is, based in previous All Black match threads theres been a trend for the focus to only be on the All Black side of things, focusing on the refs performance, instead of saying that also the opposition played well.

Should also point out I'm not making a generalisation of all NZ posters, but there are a few who dont give credit when due.
Well there you go. ;)

Also like I said, just cos we tend to say something along the lines "Crappy from the All Blacks there" - doesn't mean the other team's efforts aren't acknowledged or noticed. It just wasn't mentioned, but not because it's being purposefully ignored.

I dunno- it would get rather tedious to have to write paragraphs of both sides on the internet, especially in a match thread, while the game is going on as well!

Well that was a missed opportunity there from Glasgow/Scotland. Defensively an impressive performance but scrappy in attack. Can't help but feel a little let down by the whole thing. An entertaining game regardless of all the negative comments by those on this thread.

And by entertaining I mean that I had an emotional involvement in the game, not that it was a free-flowing game of attacking brilliance.

Last edited:
No-one yet but my point is, based in previous All Black match threads theres been a trend for the focus to only be on the All Black side of things, focusing on the refs performance, instead of saying that also the opposition played well.

Should also point out I'm not making a generalisation of all NZ posters, but there are a few who dont give credit when due.

Well, there is no credit due to Scotland, or the All Blacks, so I'm not giving any to either

This was a dire, error-ridden turdfest, where the team who played least poorly, scraped home.

Anyone reading this thread who has not seen the match, I advise you not to waste your time. Its 80 minutes of your life that will be lost forever.

God help us against Wales next weekend if we don't smarten up our ideas...

Scotland were fantastic in defense. Deserved more in this one, many positives in the last two games. Hopefully this is signs that things are starting to come together.

How do you evaluate Scotland's performance? Can Scotland beat RSA to win the pool in the World Cup?

They've certainly shown that they are not to be taken lightly. If they continue in this vein, they just might challenge yes.

Well done Scotland on running us close. Yes the All Blacks didn't play as cohesively as we would have liked, but credit is due to the Scots putting on some pressure.

I do feel the score could have been more comfortable if we didn't give an intercept away (no kidding) and DC's goal kicking was a bit more accurate in the early going. As for the result, I kinda predicted last night that they would give us a scare until the replacements came on. Looking at the bigger picture, it was always going to be messy. You've got a bunch of guys there who have never played together before, and the hit out will do them good. I think a few questions were answered. Romano looks like he should stay in the frame permanently, Parsons had a blinder for the time he was on and has quite possibly solidified himself as the 3rd choice hooker now (not just by default, but even if Harris was fit), yes Carter takes a long time these days to get back into his rhythm. The most disappointing and frustrating thing for me was TJ Perenara. The ball, even when cleanly presented, was far too slow. Way, way too slow. Everyone is entitled to a bad game, but yeah, that was poor.

The score is what it is. Both teams missed a lot of opportunities. For the most part, Scotland. Our problem was the recycle. Theirs was first-up tackles and knock ons.

Thoughts from the game

# McCaw was great again, made a few mistakes but played to his energizer bunny level
# Slade on the wing worked
# Vito looked good for how much rugby he has played
# Savea and SBW added bite when they came on

# Everything else looked average eg, Cane and Carter both ineffective really after long injury periods
# Tight 5 wasn't very tight , only Thrush and Faumuina showed anything
# This good backline failed to fire, TJP poor decision making sometimes, he is miles behind Smith and Carter just not leading at all, bring back Cruden
# Lack of ball to Ben Smith and Piutau, and when Piutau got the ball he looked rusty

Really average performance by the AB's, credit to the Scots as I felt they brought more intensity just lacked execution.

Be interesting to see what Hansen says

I don't think Scotland were all that brilliant, the only reason they looked so good was because ABs were experimental and played like ****e.

I only caught the second half. Looked really disjointed, a lot of knock-ons, wayward passes but Im happy to come away with the win. The power subs SBW, savea & messam made an immediate impact & showed their class. I didn't see much of Ben smith at fullback how did he go?
Anyone else make notice of the offside replay being shown on the big screen after the Allblacks second try. Because of the fuss lately I thought I'd bring it too attention.

No, offensively Scotland weren't overly impressive. Annoying as they put together quite a good few phases against Argentina and given it was pretty much a Glasgow back line I would have hoped for more.it was a sore one losing Bennett so early on. He's a player who can create out of nothing.
And whilst I am a Sean Lamont fan we all know from him there will be plenty of aggression and strong running but little invention.

Latest posts