Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Golden%20Lions.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Natal%20Sharks.png

18 October 2014, 14:30 CAT

Teams

Golden Lions: 15. Jaco van der Walt. 14. Ruan Combrinck, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Howard Mnisi, 11. Courtnall Skosan, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Ross Cronje, 8. Warren Whiteley (captain), 7. Derick Minnie, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco Mostert, 4. Martin Muller, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16. Armand van der Merwe, 17. Julian Redelinghuys, 18. Willie Britz, 19. Warwick Tecklenburg, 20. Kwagga Smith, 21. Mark Richards, 22. Harold Vorster

Natal Sharks: 15. SP Marais, 14. Tonderai Chavhanga, 13. S'bura Sithole, 12. Andre Esterhuizen, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Lionel Cronje, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Tera Mtembu (captain), 7. Etienne Oosthuizen, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Marco Wentzel, 4. Stephan Lewies, 3. Matt Stevens, 2. Kyle Cooper, 1. Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16. Monde Hadebe, 17. Dale Chadwick, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. JC Astle, 20. Khaya Majola, 21. Conrad Hoffmann, 22. Fred Zeilinga

Western%20Province.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Blue%20Bulls.png

18 October 2014, 17:00 CAT

Teams

Western Province: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh (captain), 12 Michael van der Spuy, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Jean Kleyn, 3 Pat Cilliers, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Alistair Vermaak

Substitutes: 16 Neil Rautenbach, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Brok Harris, 19 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Kurt Coleman, EW Viljoen

Blue Bulls: 15. Ulrich Beyers, 14. Akona Ndungane, 13. William Small-Smith, 12. Handrè Pollard, 11. Bjorn Basson, 10. Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Jono Ross, 7. Jacques du Plessis, 6. Deon Stegmann (captain), 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Werner Kruger, 2. Bongo Mbonambi
1. Dean Greyling

Substitutes: 16. Callie Visagie, 17. Marcel van der Merwe, 18. Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, 19. Wiaan Liebenberg, 20. Piet van Zyl, 21. Sampie Mastriet, 22. Jesse Kriel

Last edited:
This is going to be two tough games. I hope we get to host the final; I couldn't bare losing because of Pollard..

This is going to be two tough games. I hope we get to host the final; I couldn't bare losing because of Pollard..

Well, I'm hoping we do beat you guys, to get the monkey off our backs. Pollard will most likely play at 12 with Burger Odendaal breaking his arm.

Well, I'm hoping we do beat you guys, to get the monkey off our backs. Pollard will most likely play at 12 with Burger Odendaal breaking his arm.

I read that. But surely the Bulls could move Beyers to 12 and bring in Kriel at 15? Kriel had his best game against us earlier in the year and I expect Pollard would be worth more at 10?

Hope Odendaal recovers quickly looking at SR next year; he's a good prospect himself post 2015 and I like the idea of Serfontein getting some time at 13 in SR as well.

Last edited:
I read that. But surely the Bulls could move Beyers to 12 and bring in Kriel at 15? Kriel had his best game against us earlier in the year and I expect Pollard would be worth more at 10?

Well, for me personally Beyers has been one of our better performers this Currie Cup. He has a knack of straightening the line and breaking the defence of the opposing team. I would be hesitant to replace him with a rookie in a pressure match like this.

JLP has has also been fantastic as the season progressed, so why take him out where he has played all season?? For me Pollard's direct swap into Odendaal's place is the best option with the least amount of disturbance.

With Beyers playing much better and not long before Kriel possibly making the 15 jersey his I hope the Bulls are done with Jurgen Visser.

I suppose that's true but because of him being our Bok 10.. I just don't like it.

If Dan Carter can do that, then so can Handre!

Handre played inside centre during the 2014 JWC to accommodate Rob du Preez. Didn't think it looked like a particularly good move, but he has improved vastly since then.

So no team announcements as of yet, I suspect they will be named in the course of today.

Meanwhile the Refs have been announced for the 2 clashes:

Jaco van Heerden will be in charge of the Sharks vs. Lions clash
Pro Legoete will be in charge of the WP vs. Blue Bulls Derby.

Speaking of Legoete, Ryno Barnes will attend a disciplinary hearing for recieving a red card in the game against the Blue Bulls last weekend when he called the Ref a "poes". I have to laugh at this, because Barnes was actually right in calling Legoete that, as Legoete was making terrible calls in the game. What's even worse, is the way in which Legoete is second guessing himself all throughout the match, and anything and everything was sent to the TMO, and then the TMO had to keep on guiding Legoete into making the correct decision.

Legoete is a quota/transformation ref, he has been terrible for years. He had **** poor games the past 2 weeks Sharks vs Lions and Bulls vs Griquas. I've never understood how the same ref can be present for a team that he reffed the previous week.

Legoete is a quota/transformation ref, he has been terrible for years. He had **** poor games the past 2 weeks Sharks vs Lions and Bulls vs Griquas. I've never understood how the same ref can be present for a team that he reffed the previous week.

Yeah! But this Ryno Barnes thing is just too funny. You guys should go and look at the comments on Sport24's article about the incident. 90% of the comments are that Ryno was right in saying what he said. And the best of all is, he said it in his 100th currie cup match.

But let's be honest, this has already gone too far with him getting a red card. I've seen that word being said in nearly every game this year, and it's usually being said when a guy was penalised. Why is this the first time a guy gets carded for saying this??

Thing is I watched the clip of the incident and I couldn't hear that Barnes actually said it. The touch judge made the call, how easy would it be then for SARU to find Barnes guilty?

Thing is I watched the clip of the incident and I couldn't hear that Barnes actually said it. The touch judge made the call, how easy would it be then for SARU to find Barnes guilty?

Exactly

I even went to replay that part on my PVR. And you can't hear Ryno saying it over the mic either.

Just a bull**** card!

Anyways. I predict a Lions vs. Bulls final...

Got my ticket last night :)

Shark shirt on check

Beer for celebrations later check ;)

Lions look hungry. Sharks making the mistake of playing an open game that suits the Lions. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lions front row and scrum coach get a call from HM..

Lions look hungry. Sharks making the mistake of playing an open game that suits the Lions. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lions front row and scrum coach get a call from HM..

Yeah! Matt Stevens is having a torrid time in the scrums for the Sharks.

Latest posts