• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Italy vs England (Round 5)

Unfortunately I think Ireland will edge it. France still don't look like an organised team whilst Ireland do.

I fear for Italy this coming World Cup. I think both my National Team and the Romanian's smell blood and I am really fancying our chances of knocking them off. Also fancying a win vs Scotland in June.

Just watched the part of the game that I missed - great little break from Ford for Robshaw's try at the end!
I know he was only on for like 10-15mins, against tired defence in a game all ready won, but I'm glad he's got the confidence to try something like that.

I am just so disappointed that we didn't win the championship. But looking back at last year and now we see we have 52 points on the board in think we have come very far in a short space of time.

Good Points
- We managed to put 50 points on the board
- Brown and Nowell both looked like real good attacking threats
- Twelvetrees looked very impress I thought
- Tuilagi done well off the bench for his first game back
- Defence was pretty decent, only chances Italy had where when we knocked on or when Campagnaro beat a man for pace which ain't too bad considering that he is lightning fast

Bad Points
- We left another 20 points out on the field
- Scrum was getting battered
- The subs by Lancaster to me are just annoying - Dickson didn't need to come on - Johnson is a bit meh - Vunipola should have really come off earlier - Youngs added **** all
- Farrell at 12 offers NOTHING ( I understand that Ford and him played together in the U20's)
- I Am so annoyed at May, I wanted to see him in an England shirt and he hasn't taken the opportunity like I would have wanted. I believe now that Yarde will over take him but he is young so can definitely get into the team and start scoring tries for fun

I thought the ref was pretty ****ing dreadful to be honest. He let players just lie over the ball stopping quick ball and then he says they're not in the way. The yellow to me was a bit questionable because I don't think he was trying to stop England attacking I think he just genuinely got confused, there was no malice in what he did.
The Tuilagi vs Burrell debate to me is a good one. They could easily play together, the reason Tuilagi plays the way he does is the players around him. He normally plays in a Farrell-Barritt-Tuilagi-Ashton set up. When he came on he was playing in a Ford-Farrell-Tuilagi-May set up. In both he hasn't really had the opportunity to pass the ball, the first one there is no way he is passing to the other players around him as they are not good enough- the second one he hasn't played with so the chemistry isn't there yet. Farrell couldn't offer anything inside him and May had possibly his worst game.

On the Tuilagi or Burrell argument both bring different things both have positive and negative points

Can they play together ? Burrell seemed to do well at Northampton inside of North/Pisi so is used to playing with a big partner . All I can say is try it and see !!

On the Tuilagi or Burrell argument both bring different things both have positive and negative points

Can they play together ? Burrell seemed to do well at Northampton inside of North/Pisi so is used to playing with a big partner . All I can say is try it and see !!

Definitely the thing I was saying is that Tuilagi gets three guys on him constantly so he doesn't look to pass to the players around him. If you had Burrell-Tuilagi-Yarde it would force the other teams to go 1 on 1 with Tuilagi because you have to stick to the other guys, than Manu-Yarde -Burrell all have space and I think will flourish under this attack.

I'd like to put things in perspective just a moment (for Italy, this isn't about England) as this is quite alarming for my dear Azzurri:

a) Ireland have conceded, in this whole tournament, no more than 49 points, in 5 matches.
Italy have shipped more this afternoon alone.......AT HOME.

b) Ireland have conceded only 4 tries this entire tournament.
Italy have conceded 7 just this past afternoon. AT HOME.

I think moving on what I'd like to see:

- Yarde taking over from May. May just doesn't look threatening enough and I'm all for looking for space but don't run across the entire bloody pitch! You can pass the ball across the pitch faster than you can run it and won't tire yourself in the process. Also he seems to lack awareness of the fact that he is regularly running into situations where he is getting himself isolated. Would like to see Wade get a bit of time too and possibly try Nowell at 15 sometimes. We need to ensure we have cover if anything happens to Brown and I believe Nowell naturally starts there. Brown showed how much you can improve by having a 15 at 15 rather than on the wing and Nowell may be the same.

- Mix things up in the centres to look for partnerships that work. Whilst Tuilagi did what he did best, he STILL didn't even bother to look for the offload. Vunipola is also a crash ball player but he at least tries to offload occassionally. I think Tuilagi needs to be told that the gameplan is no longer ship it to Tuilagi then let him go bang. Wales have highlighted very well what happens when a team are prepared for those tactics. Burrell offers much better distribution. I'd like to see Eastmond have a shot at some time too.

- I think Farrell and Ford need to be properly competing. ATM Ford is getting little game and often in a disturbed squad after a load of changes. I'd like to see him start a game to see how he handles it and to let Farrell know he doesn't own the 10 position. Also Farrell needs to cut out some of the REALLY stupid crap he's done. He's lucky he didn't get a yellow this 6N for things that were completely pointless.

- Tom Youngs needs to go. His lineout is just too bad, he's a liability. If he can get up to a decent standard then maybe consider returning.

- Support play needs to improve. We aren't very good at clearing out rucks.

- Scrum needs to improve. Having said that we were missing our 2 first choice props but if we can have our second choices able to scrum well too, we could cause havoc for other teams later on.

- Goode must not be let anywhere near this team again.

- Lastly AWARENESS. We must have thrown away more opportunities than any other team by simply not looking around for the space. Care and Farrell really need to work on this and overcome the white line fever.

Last edited:
England put 50 points on Italy away in Italy.
Thats announcing that they are the real deal and they will, and can, punish teams when the opportunity arises.

England put 50 points on Italy away in Italy.
Thats announcing that they are the real deal and they will, and can, punish teams when the opportunity arises.

You should have watched it then mate. Some of the basic catching and passing skills were laughable at times.

You should have watched it then mate. Some of the basic catching and passing skills were laughable at times.

Yet they put 50 points on them away from home where others struggled to despatch them at home.....

I think moving on what I'd like to see:

- Yarde taking over from May. May just doesn't look threatening enough and I'm all for looking for space but don't run across the entire bloody pitch! You can pass the ball across the pitch faster than you can run it and won't tire yourself in the process. Also he seems to lack awareness of the fact that he is regularly running into situations where he is getting himself isolated. Would like to see Wade get a bit of time too and possibly try Nowell at 15 sometimes. We need to ensure we have cover if anything happens to Brown and I believe Nowell naturally starts there. Brown showed how much you can improve by having a 15 at 15 rather than on the wing and Nowell may be the same.

- Mix things up in the centres to look for partnerships that work. Whilst Tuilagi did what he did best, he STILL didn't even bother to look for the offload. Vunipola is also a crash ball player but he at least tries to offload occassionally. I think Tuilagi needs to be told that the gameplan is no longer ship it to Tuilagi then let him go bang. Wales have highlighted very well what happens when a team are prepared for those tactics. Burrell offers much better distribution. I'd like to see Eastmond have a shot at some time too.

- I think Farrell and Ford need to be properly competing. ATM Ford is getting little game and often in a disturbed squad after a load of changes. I'd like to see him start a game to see how he handles it and to let Farrell know he doesn't own the 10 position. Also Farrell needs to cut out some of the REALLY stupid crap he's done. He's lucky he didn't get a yellow this 6N for things that were completely pointless.

- Tom Youngs needs to go. His lineout is just too bad, he's a liability. If he can get up to a decent standard then maybe consider returning.

- Support play needs to improve. We aren't very good at clearing out rucks.

- Scrum needs to improve. Having said that we were missing our 2 first choice props but if we can have our second choices able to scrum well too, we could cause havoc for other teams later on.

- Goode must not be let anywhere near this team again.

- Lastly AWARENESS. We must have thrown away more opportunities than any other team by simply not looking around for the space. Care and Farrell really need to work on this and overcome the white line fever.

With the exception of being slightly worried about the props in the absence of Cole and Corbs, I could not agree more!!

for Italy:
eeeeeeexit light !!...eeeeeeeeeenter ni-i-i-i-iiiiiiight !!

Nah I agree with jones . To score the amount we did against Italy in Rome is almost unheard of . When you play a fast passing game passes will go astray sometimes . But in general the attacking inventive was very good . Don't forget 36 and Burrell have played 5 games together now that's it

Yet they put 50 points on them away from home where others struggled to despatch them at home.....

No one's disputing the impressive score, I'm just pointing out the errors. If we want to be a real force again, those errors have to be consitently minimal.

No one's disputing the impressive score, I'm just pointing out the errors. If we want to be a real force again, those errors have to be consitently minimal.

Of course but against an Italy side when we needed to score points as quick as possible mistakes will be made at the end of the day . As a team plays together longer and longer it will click and become more natural