TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie Cup Logo.png

Round 5 of the season kicks off right after the Springboks finish their match against Australia in what will be another rugby-packed day for South Africans. An injury-weakened Griquas-team will host the Golden Lions in the opening fixture of the round. The 5th-placed Griquas, who lost to their franchise-partner Free State Cheetahs last weekend, will look to get back into the top-4 while the Golden Lions, currently in 4th place, want to hold on to their position on the log. Last week, Rory Arnold was shown a red card after scoring a try for biting his opponent and it remains to be seen if he will return this season. The Lions came back from behind to get to a 31-31 draw against Western Province and will be looking to get back to winning this Saturday.

Following this, the Blue Bulls will host the Free State Cheetahs at Loftus. The Bulls team lost 34-18 to a determined Sharks team in Durban last week, after losing big at home the previous week against the Lions (23-62). With only 1 win and a draw so far, the Bulls players find themselves bottom of the log. The Cheetahs are in second place, looking to stay up there. The Bulls have played 1 game at home this season which they won 15-9 in a try-less contest with the Griquas. They will have to do one better this weekend to beat an in-form Cheetahs team. Handre Pollard played very well and might be the difference-maker this weekend. On the Cheetahs-side, watch out for captain Boom Prinsloo.

The weekend ends with a repeat of last years final. In Cape Town, the Western Province take on the Natal Sharks. WP have managed 2 draws so far, against the Bulls and Lions. Another draw won't help them to get back at the top of the log. Both teams a lot in common. Western Province has a backline with skill and leadership in Juan de Jongh and Gio Aplon, who have become reliable backline players and provide much needed experience with Cheslin Kolbe, Kurt Coleman and Damian de Allende around them. The Sharks team that beat the Bulls is also a great mix of young and old. Heimar Williams seems to feel more and more at home in the Sharks backline and SP Marais is a very talented kid who can play several positions. With Lwazi Mvovo, Odwa Ndungane and Louis Ludik around them, they have the time to grow into their role. At fly-half, Fred Zeilinga is slowly becoming a solid back-up for Lambie.

2qji1qu.png

Round 5 Fixtures

GWK Griquas.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Golden Lions.png

Hoffe Park, Kimberley Saturday, 14:00 GMT)

GWK Griquas:
15. PJ Vermeulen, 14. Richard Lawson, 13. Jean Stemmet, 12. Howard Mnisi, 11. Rocco Jansen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Marnus Hugo, 8. Carel Greeff, 7. Burger Schoeman, 6. Marnus Schoeman, 5. Victor Kruger, 4. Patrick O'Brien, 3. Nick Schonert, 2. Ryno Barnes ©, 1. Steph Roberts
Replacements: 16. Matt Dobson, 17. Brummer Badenhorst, 18. Dalton Davis, 19. RJ Liebenberg, 20. Jacques Coetzee, 21. Du Randt Gerber, 22. JP Nel

Golden Lions:
15. Marnitz Boshoff, 14. Andries Coetzee, 13. Robert de Bruyn, 12. Dylan Des Fountain, 11. Anthony Volmink, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Tian Meyer, 8. Willie Britz, 7. Derick Minnie ©, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Ruan Venter, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Jacques van Rooyen

Replacements: 16. Willie Wepener, 17. CJ van der Linder, 18. JJ Breedt, 19. Warwick Tecklenberg, 20. Ross Cronje, 21. Deon Helberg, 22. Ruhan Nel

Blue Bulls.png
Free State Cheetahs.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (Saturday, 16:00 GMT)

Blue Bulls:
15. Jurgen Visser, 14. Sampie Mastriet, 13. Waylon Murray, 12. Francois Venter, 11. Akona Ndungane, 10. Handré Pollard, 9. Ruan Snyman, 8. Jono Ross ©, 7. Jacques Engelbrecht, 6. Wiaan Liebenberg, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Mbongeni Mbonambi, 1. Marcel van der Merwe
Replacements: 16. Bandise Maku, 17. Werner Kruger, 18. David Bulbring, 19. Jacques du Plessis, 20. Rudy Paige, 21. Ulrich Beyers, 22. Clayton Blommetjies/Tiaan Schoeman

Free State Cheetahs:
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Riaan Smit, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Robert Ebersohn, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Elgar Watts, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Lappies Labuschagne, 6. Boom Prinsloo ©, 5. Lood de Jager, 4. Teboho Mohoje, 3. Rossouw de Klerk, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Trevor Nyakane
Replacements: 16. Ethienne Reynecke, 17. Wian du Preez, 18. Waltie Vermeulen, 19. Davon Raubenheimer, 20. Kevin Luiters, 21. Willie du Plessis, 22. Piet Lindeque

Western Province.png
Natal Sharks.png

Newlands, Cape Town (Saturday, 18:00 GMT)

Natal Sharks:
15. SP Marais, 14. Sizo Maseko, 13. Louis Ludik, 12. Tim Whitehead, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Butch James, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Jacques Botes ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Keegan Daniel, 5. Marco Wentzel, 4. Peet Marais, 3. Rayno Gerber, 2. Craig Burden, 1. Danie Mienie.
Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Wiehahn Herbst, 18. Edwin Hewitt, 19. Justin Downey, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Fred Zeilinga, 22. Jaco van Tonder

Western Province:
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Kurt Coleman, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Nizaam Carr, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Michael Rhodes, 3. Pat Cilliers, 2. Tiaan Liebenberg, 1. Steven Kitshoff
Replacements: 16. Scarra Ntubeni, 17. Brok Harris, 18. Gerbrandt Grobler, 19. Rohan Kitshoff, 20. Nic Groom, 21. Gary van Aswegen, 22. Michael van der Spuy

Sounds like we will change a few once more. Mienie could start over Chadwick, and Ndungane probably injured. I'd like Cooper to start with Hadebe on the bench.

Except for the Lions team, all line-ups are announced. Rory Arnold, who got a red card for biting his opponent after scoring a try last week, has been suspended from all rugby until the 19th​ of October, which means he will miss the remainder of the season and is only allowed to come back if the Cheetahs make either the play-offs or the promotion/relegation match-up (which is not certain because SARU might extend the Premier Division to 8 teams again

Why was Williams dropped?
You don't drop someone after two good performances like that for rotation, let alone right out of the 22.
Also would like to see changes in the back row. Kleinhans and Mtembu must feature soon.

I think the reason behind it is the return of Whitehead and wanting to cover a full backline with 3 players on the bench. Williams is a typical inside center who is amazing, but needs time. I want him to be in the match 22 but I can understand he was dropped. Despite scoring 2 tries and being brilliant on attack, he lacks the strength to defend against big guys WP has in their center combo.

I think he will be back soon, but for now, having Whitehead is the better option with van Tonder and Zeils on the bench

I think the reason behind it is the return of Whitehead and wanting to cover a full backline with 3 players on the bench. Williams is a typical inside center who is amazing, but needs time. I want him to be in the match 22 but I can understand he was dropped. Despite scoring 2 tries and being brilliant on attack, he lacks the strength to defend against big guys WP has in their center combo.

I think he will be back soon, but for now, having Whitehead is the better option with van Tonder and Zeils on the bench
Stick one at OC and put Ludik out wide over Mvovo. Lwazi is lacking some spark.

Ludik is our best full-back and I would love to see both Maseko and Marais on the wing. My ideal backline at the moment would be this:

9. Reinach
10.Zeilinga/James (Cannot figure out which I prefer. One is flukey and inconsistent, the other is a veteran with an attitude problem)
11.Maseko
12.Williams
13.Whitehead
14.Marais
15.Ludik

Ludik is our best full-back and I would love to see both Maseko and Marais on the wing. My ideal backline at the moment would be this:

9. Reinach
10.Zeilinga/James (Cannot figure out which I prefer. One is flukey and inconsistent, the other is a veteran with an attitude problem)
11.Maseko
12.Williams
13.Whitehead
14.Marais
15.Ludik
No, let Marais develop at fullback, Ludik will be gone so he doesn't get priority.
I think we will also develop Sean Robinson at fullback, with Esterhuizen seemingly a full time centre.

The future looks great and Marais is a welcome addition with the departure of Ludik, but for now, I want to focus on winning the Currie Cup and we can do that by playing at our full strength and use all our players in their best positions.

The 5th-placed Griquas, who lost to their franchise-partner Free State Cheetahs last weekend, will look to get back into the top-4 while the Golden Lions, currently in 4th place, want to hold on to their position on the log. Last week, Rory Arnold was shown a red card after scoring a try for biting his opponent and it remains to be seen if he will return this season.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/Griquas-bitten-by-Arnold-ban-20130904

SARU has suspended Griquas lock Rory Arnold from all rugby for seven matches after being found guilty of biting Free State Cheetahs hooker Ethienne Reynecke in their Currie Cup match in Bloemfontein over the weekend.

Arnold appeared before a SARU disciplinary hearing in Cape Town on Tuesday and was found guilty on Wednesday of contravening Law 10.4(m) following a biting incident in the team’s Currie Cup clash against the Free State Cheetahs last Saturday and has received a seven-match ban.

The player has been suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including 19 October 2013.

Arnold received a red card for the offence in the 62nd​minute of the match, after the Cheetahs’ hooker, Reynecke, complained to the match referee, who referred the matter to the TMO before sending off Arnold.

Arnold pleaded not guilty to the charge and in his defence said that the downward pressure on his head, while trying to cross the tryline with his mouth open, had caused the marks on the arm of the Cheetahs player.

In his findings judicial officer Peter Ingwersen found the victim’s initial reaction was instructive due to his spontaneous response to withdraw his arm, complain to the assistant referee and then report the matter to the referee.

According to Ingwersen, Arnold was found guilty and sanctioned "on the balance of probabilities and relying particularly on the victim’s immediate and spontaneous reactions and the doctor’s evidence."

Arnold has since appealed the decision, which if unsuccessful, will mean that coach Pote Human will only be allowed to have Arnold eligible for selection in time for the Currie Cup final, should Griquas qualify for the showpiece.

On the replay it does look as if it may be accidental - at first. His mouth was open as he went in for the try and it does seem that his face was pushed into Reynecke's arm. However, it also appears that as the movement continues he bites down. Maybe it's a natural reaction in the situation, or maybe it was malicious. Either way he'll have a few weeks to think about it.

das

Last edited:
I just love how an American All Blacks fan ends up on sport24.co.za to read about an Australian Griquas player being suspended.

You, sir, are a rugby junkie ;)

Ahh, it's fine. I've been suffering from that severe virus, and I'm still alive. It does hurt your social life in the long run though ;)

Love life is fine! Rugby and Guinness. They never let me down, they never leave me.

Golden Lions:
15. Marnitz Boshoff, 14. Andries Coetzee, 13. Robert de Bruyn, 12. Dylan Des Fountain, 11. Anthony Volmink, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Tian Meyer, 8. Willie Britz, 7. Derick Minnie ©, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Ruan Venter, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Jacques van Rooyen

Replacements: 16. Willie Wepener, 17. CJ van der Linder, 18. JJ Breedt, 19. Warwick Tecklenberg, 20. Ross Cronje, 21. Deon Helberg, 22. Ruhan Nel

93 is a nice age. A long life with a lot of things to cherish.

I see Andries Coetzee is on the wing for snoiL. Good player, but I am glad we have SP Marais. I'd take Andries over Lwazi right now though.

Lwazi is off form. It can happen. What I don't understand is how he is still in the starting line-up. Volminck is having a great season so far, by the way. He's the 2013-version of Currie Cup Basson

Latest posts