• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013-14 IRB Sevens] Glasgow

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
A lengthy break from Hong Kong to Glasgow, but things are tightening up in races for seeding. At the very top New Zealand hold a very tentative lead over South Africa. On the bottom Spain are in desperation mode and likely need a miracle to grab a pile of points here (and in England) to try and catch Portugal.

The pools have been announced and here they are.

Pool A

New Zealand
South Africa
Samoa
Portugal

Pool B

England
Canada
France
Japan

Pool C

Fiji
Wales
Argentina
Kenya

Pool D

Australia
U.S.A.
Scotland
Spain

places online where i can see this live???

I guess I'm ok providing this info, as the tournaments are usually streamed live (legally) by the IRB themselves, in countries where it isn't being televised (like Canada and USA)

Go to www.IRB.com and go to the Rugby 7's link, there's a live link there somewhere.

Adam Whitelock named in NZ Sevens team

The Crusaders back has been released by the Super Rugby franchise to train and play with the sevens team, and forced coach Sir Gordon Tietjens hand during trials this week.

Tietjens said he will play in the forwards in Glasgow and the final leg in London, and has showed vast improvement in the four days of training.

''He's come into our camp, obviously from the Crusaders Super Rugby team, and he's really excelled in the games he's had with us.'

"Our trial games are effectively the level of a World Series quarterfinal, with the depth we have in our squad, and he's been brilliant in those games.

''He really forced my hand to select him. His level of improvement has been huge.''

Whitelock first joined the sevens camp before the Hong Kong and Japanese legs of the World Series last month having showed his interest in competing at the Commonwealth Games, but couldn't train with a hamstring injury.

Despite that he soaked up the atmosphere, and was back this time fit and ready to learn.

Tietjens said his fitness and conditioning has been impressive, and his defensive work in practise matches has been top notch.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/sport/9978586/Adam-Whitelock-named-in-NZ-Sevens-team

Adam Whitelock :rolleyes:
wait for other professional players to play in sevens

Last edited:
I reckon Adam Whitelock will make a good forward in the 7's game. He may not be dynamic enough in 15's but he has a massive work-rate, make his tackles, and will break a few tackles (as he is slightly quicker than the average 7's forward, and slightly bigger/more powerful than the average 7's back).

I guess I'm ok providing this info, as the tournaments are usually streamed live (legally) by the IRB themselves, in countries where it isn't being televised (like Canada and USA)

Go to www.IRB.com and go to the Rugby 7's link, there's a live link there somewhere.

Your in the clear Shags, fully authorized streams we can disscuss and indeed the IRB has been streaming the 7's events live for most countries this year.

I reckon Adam Whitelock will make a good forward in the 7's game. He may not be dynamic enough in 15's but he has a massive work-rate, make his tackles, and will break a few tackles (as he is slightly quicker than the average 7's forward, and slightly bigger/more powerful than the average 7's back).

... Interested to see how he goes - I read an article somewhere saying that he kinda forced Gordon Tiejens hand to select him, so Tiej obviously has big raps on him... and that will make all four Whitelock brothers capped for New Zealand too

Darwin, do you seem him in a similar role/substitue for Tim Mikkelson or perhaps Bryce Heem?

Your in the clear Shags, fully authorized streams we can disscuss and indeed the IRB has been streaming the 7's events live for most countries this year.

Thanks LG ... good to know I wasn't getting anyone in trouble

Last edited:
... Interested to see how he goes - I read an article somewhere saying that he kinda forced Gordon Tiejens hand to select him, so Tiej obviously has big raps on him... and that will make all four Whitelock brothers capped for New Zealand too

Darwin, do you seem him in a similar role/substitue for Tim Mikkelson or perhaps Bryce Heem?

Obviously I haven't seen him play, but I think he will play a similar role/style to Bryce Heem. I don't expect him to be doing a huge amount of creative work at this stage, but I can see him being a pretty handy forward in the 7's game. Mikkelson played a similar role when he started at 7's but he has developed his game a lot over the last few seasons and is very much a 'creator' these days.

Obviously I haven't seen him play, but I think he will play a similar role/style to Bryce Heem. I don't expect him to be doing a huge amount of creative work at this stage, but I can see him being a pretty handy forward in the 7's game. Mikkelson played a similar role when he started at 7's but he has developed his game a lot over the last few seasons and is very much a 'creator' these days.

That's encouraging ... Bryce Heem has been in pretty good form this year, and I really think that the team misses him when he's out with injury, so another forward in his mould would be excellent

... I think the standard of rugby in these tournaments just keeps getting better each year ... the closeness of the matches in pool play certainly is more competitive ... a big match between NZ and South Africa in pool play this time around

"For the team, qualifying as a core side meant a huge amount," said Lomano Lemeki, who has risen to fame in the Japanese setup this year.

"We have put more pressure on ourselves. We know we will be competing full time next year, against these sides, so we want to see where are at compared to them now and leading into next season."

The victory in Hong Kong, where Japan won all six of their matches including a semi final win over Russia and quarter final defeat of Tunisia, came off the back of their home tournament in Tokyo where they recorded a record-breaking win over Samoa and also drew with Argentina.

"In the country Sevens has become a big success," added Lemeki. "With the U20s doing well too and getting promotion (to the JWC), Rugby is getting really big at the moment.

"There is now way more media. After we won in Hong Kong, the media was already waiting in the airport for us which never normally happens. It is getting bigger, especially now they know we can compete against the bigger teams.

http://www.irbsevens.com/destination/edition=10/news/newsid=2071110.html#lemeki+high+standards+must+maintained

One hour to go :)
First leg for qualification winner Japan to test their strength

Fantastic day for Canada, two big wins and a draw over our nemisis England who've really had our number this year. Can't beleive how good this squad looks, a decent day tommorow and we are moving up to 6th in the table for this season.

Adam Whitelock got first sevens try against south africa
Scotland won all three matches to enter cup quarterfinals

...how ****ing depressing is this leg of the tour?

Holy ****... I genuinely find it difficult to watch - surely there are better places to hold it than Glasgow?

Scotland knocked out south africa to reach first cup semis in five years :eek:

Canada with another two wins today so far and a critical game versus the hosts, we win and it's our best ever finish at an IRB event no matter what the result. Head to the final boys!!!

Congrats to canada for reaching cup final :)
japan finished as runner up of shield final

What an amazing day for Canadian rugby no matter the result of the final our best ever finish at a 7's event, moving up to 6th in the IRB table with a chance at catching OZ in 5th next week, what a year, if we'd have a better tourney in South Africa we'd be really challenging near the tops of the table.

Well it looks like the final is pretty much a foregone conclusion even with a few minutes left, obviously I'm dissapointed with that game but can't be bothered too much with it as this was one of the best events a Canadian team has had in any rugby format. As a slight consolation we also get a much easier pool next week.

John Moonlight and Phil Mack were brilliant this weekend.

Last edited:
What an amazing day for Canadian rugby no matter the result of the final our best ever finish at a 7's event, moving up to 6th in the IRB table with a chance at catching OZ in 5th next week, what a year, if we'd have a better tourney in South Africa we'd be really challenging near the tops of the table.

Next season the top four teams will directly enter the Rio Olympics ;)

Well done Canada and Scotland ... great tournaments from both sides ... great to see New Zealand win the final, and all but wrap up the series too :)

Latest posts