• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st QF - Highlanders vs Chiefs

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think the chiefs got away with more than the highlanders in that area. it is a talking point for the chiefs season as a whole, but not this game in particular.

If it was the highlanders game plan to put the chiefs under pressure at rucks in their red zone, where they have been vulnerable to penalties and cards. Then they failed to do that.

Maybe the chiefs would have been penalized more if the highlanders had more rucks/breakdowns.

yes Leitch should have started, that first try was exploiting Fitzgerald at 6, see Messam during that movement he covered a huge about of ground in a flash and was close to stopping it. Fitzgerald was nowhere.

McKenzie is a huge prospect, his first start at 10 early in the season was arguably one of the best individual performances or any 10 this season, and his work at 15 has been epic. How good is he under the high ball? From the outside the chiefs best and IMO maybe their only chance of winning the ***le this year was to play Damien McKenzie at 10 but for whatever reason they resisted doing it. I'm sure there is a reason, we'll never know why.

Aaron Smith is amazing, funny when he first came onto the scene he was like Robin to Aaron Cruden's Batman. Now hes the Incredible Hulk! I think he's fast becoming the best 9 New Zealand has ever produced.

It's kinda scary to think about how important he is to our world cup chances. I think Smith getting injured would have a bigger impact than McCaw or Carter getting injured... He's probably the most irreplaceable player we have.

But that's my point, when ever we did get down your end, you were penalized, every single time we were down in your 22/35, Pollock was even about to blow his whistle just before we scored the 2nd try for infringements in the scrum. Killing the ball, hands/feet in the ruck, not rolling away, coming in from the side, collapsing mauls. It's the way the Chiefs play, that's why you have a fantastic defensive record as well (I think 3rd in the league). But it is cheating and cynical and it was no different here. Only less frequent just a little because of the possession stats and territory, otherwise it was the same.

Last edited:
But that's my point, when ever we did get down your end, you were penalized, every single time we were down in your 22/35, Pollock was even about to blow his whistle just before we scored the 2nd try for infringements in the scrum. Killing the ball, hands/feet in the ruck, not rolling away, coming in from the side, collapsing mauls. It's the way the Chiefs play, that's why you have a fantastic defensive record as well (I think 3rd in the league). But it is cheating and cynical and it was no different here. Only less frequent just a little because of the possession stats and territory, otherwise it was the same.

You know that's exactly what the All Blacks have been doing for years

You know that's exactly what the All Blacks have been doing for years

Tempting to take the bait. But we do the talking on the field.

Go to 0.48 and tell me if you think that's a genuine penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
have to say the feeling actually at the game was the chiefs were pretty much only dangerous on the kick return. It seemed a decision for the landers to not contest the ruck as much, let the chiefs have it but have more men free to shut down the ball in motion.

I'm sure it was different on TV, commentators skew on things or getting a better view with replays etc, and as i say those 3 or 4 big kick returns aside, but the feeling at the ground was that the Landers were in control from minute 1. The only thing the growd was worried about was the Ref

Tempting to take the bait. But we do the talking on the field.

Go to 0.48 and tell me if you think that's a genuine penalty.

I'm not sure who exactly gets penalised, McCaw is a bit slow to roll away but I've seen worse like Fekitoa at the previous ruck, but Joubert seems to point to Read who looks OK, as you gathered though my comment was a little tongue in cheek.

good comeback anyway with the vid :) unbelievable that we lost that game, just goes to show you can't afford to have a brain fade against NZ, you'll be punished.
what could have been though.... say we won the draw in Sydney, got hammered at Eden park like we did, and hung on in Brisbane to win. I wonder if McKenzie would have walked after winning back the Bledisloe... who knows I guess but it would have been even more awkward than the situation was

Last edited by a moderator: