8 Nasi Manu (c)
7 Dan Pryor
6 Elliot Dixon
5 Mark Reddish
4 Alex Ainley
3 Josh Hohneck
2 Liam Coltman
1 Brendon Edwards

Reserves: 16 Ash Dixon, 17 Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18 Ross Geldenhuys, 19 Joe Latta, 20 Gareth Evans, 21 Fumiaki Tanaka, 22 Marty Banks, 23 Shaun Treeby.

150615091446509365.png

15 Damian McKenzie
14 Bryce Heem
13 Tim Nanai-Williams
12 Sonny Bill Williams
11 James Lowe
10 Andrew Horrell
9 Brad Weber
8 Liam Messam (c)
7 Sam Cane
6 Michael Fitzgerald
5 Brodie Retallick
4 Matt Symons
3 Ben Tameifuna
2 Hika Elliot
1 Pauliasi Manu

Reserves: 16 Quentin MacDonald, 17 Siate Tokolahi, 18 Jamie Mackintosh, 19 Mitchell Crosswell, 20 Michael Leitch, 21 Kayne Hammington, 22 Marty McKenzie, 23 Seta Tamanivalu.

150615091434813695.png

City: Dunedin
Stadium: Forsyth-Barr
Capacity: 30,748

forsyth_barr_stadium.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Ticket, picked it up first thing this morning and still at one end of the north stand, over 10,000 sold as of last night

Highlanders: Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Malakai Fekitoa, Richard Buckman, Patrick Osborne, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu (co-captain), Dan Pryor, Elliot Dixon, Mark Reddish, Alex Ainley, Josh Hohneck, Liam Coltman, Brendon Edwards. Reserves: Ash Dixon, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Ross Geldenhuys, Joe Latta, Gareth Evans, Fumiaki Tanaka, Marty Banks, Shaun Treeby.

good team, expect manu, reddish and fekitoa to be firing after a few weeks off

Two great teams should be a ***anic clash.
Landers have performed better overall in my opinion, but the Chiefs have had some nasty injuries throughout the season, some of which have sorted themselves out at the right time.
Looking forward to this! Glad we're playing the Brumbies.

Can't believe they named Andrew Horell at 10. I don't rate him there. To be fair I've only seen him play one game there this season against the rebels, however he was shocking. They lost. Damian McKenzie came on and they were a whole new team. He should 100% be at 10.

Can't believe they named Andrew Horell at 10. I don't rate him there. To be fair I've only seen him play one game there this season against the rebels, however he was shocking. They lost. Damian McKenzie came on and they were a whole new team. He should 100% be at 10.

Marty Mc and Damien Mc have been far better than Horrell. no idea why he's starting at 10

Yeah can't work out this thing for the Chiefs, pick a number 10 and play them, the rotation is not helping as we are not forming combos or giving a player time to get used to the position.

As much as I want the Chiefs to win the Highlanders have played great rugby and we will have to play out of our skin to pull of a victory.

Too many crucial injuries for the Chiefs. Still a decent side, but with out Cruden they're headless. I think this will end up a some what comfortable win for us. Their lose forwards will keep them in it for awhile though.

Marty Mc and Damien Mc have been far better than Horrell. no idea why he's starting at 10

Marty was terrible last week against the Canes, as was Weber - just trying to do too much to try and stand out. Chiefs have been too inconsistent and you'd have to think the Landers have this one. It is finals rugby however and anything can happen but if I was a betting man (which I am) you'd tip the Landers.

CHIEFS: Damian McKenzie, Bryce Heem, Tim Nanai-Williams, Sonny Bill Williams, James Lowe, Andrew Horrell, Brad Weber, Liam Messam (captain), Sam Cane, Michael Fitzgerald, Brodie Retallick, Matt Symons, Ben Tameifuna, Hika Elliot, Pauliasi Manu. Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Siate Tokolahi, Jamie Mackintosh, Mitchell Crosswell, Michael Leitch, Kayne Hammington, Marty McKenzie, Seta Tamanivalu.

some really interesting selections, probably the chiefs weakpoint this year has been inconsistency in selection. Which mostly has been because of the massive injury toll but Renee has always rotated players as well so...

The clear best option at 10 is Damian McKenzie yet he's clearly being shielded from that responsibility due to his age. But IMO the chiefs best chance is to just give him the job and hope for the best. Marty McKenzie never really worked out at 10, he was only ok at best. He's still young as well but doesn't seem to have anything like the potential Damian McKenzie has.

Then you have Messam at 8 which is fine he's as good an 8 as he is a 6 and Fitzgerald at 6 which will be interesting...

Horrell is a very direct 10 I expect him to run the ball a lot and hopefully free up some space for SBW

But on paper so far it's advantage highlanders... that backline which has performed so well is still intact along with home advantage. All in their favor so far.

But the chiefs know finals rugby and being the underdog does have its advantages.

Why the hell would he start with Leitch on the bench?? I'm really happy Dan Pryor keeps his starting spot.

I would have much preferred to see a backline of Weber, D McKenzie, Lowe, SBW, Horrell, Heem, TNW. But the fact remains that the SBW/TNW combo can be very effective.

I think the Highlanders will rightfully be favourites going into this match, mainly because they've won both the matches this year. That being said, the Chiefs will love playing at Forsyth Barr.

I'm expecting a close match, but I think the Chiefs will come out on top by four or five points.

I am expecting Damien Mckenzie will play at first five a lot on attack. On defense he will drop back for counter attack opportunities, this way he is protected from being targeted by the likes of Fekitoa, Manu etc. although DMac is a courageous defender.

One of the best try's you'll ever see and the the TMO stone cold bones it. I dont know what to think about it. Either way it was a magic effort alround.

- - - Updated - - -

HL very unlucky to be only 3 ahead so far.

Chiefs beginning to roll. Thought the disallowed try was a try but was extremely close. Dead chuffed about Symons joining us next season.