• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

10 ELV's are no longer "Experimental"

My day keeps gettibg better (and willl continue to do so). Exams so 3 months without having to read some crap written by judges that have bad grammer or insist on putting things in an awkward way! And I'm gonna get smashed in a few hours!!!

And in other law news! 10 new relatively good laws and no more of the **** Maul collapsing ones or silly sanctions! ROCK ON!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ May 15 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My day keeps gettibg better (and willl continue to do so). Exams so 3 months without having to read some crap written by judges that have bad grammer or insist on putting things in an awkward way! And I'm gonna get smashed in a few hours!!!

And in other law news! 10 new relatively good laws and no more of the **** Maul collapsing ones or silly sanctions! ROCK ON!!!![/b]

Congrats on being done with exams...I share your joy.
Do you think we'll see the return of the rolling maul, or the maul being a stronger attacking platform? Do you play domestic rugby? What is your experience? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to start some dialogue.

To celebrate, everyone should have 80 minutes of rolling mauls whenever they play against the Wallabies.

Then point a nice big V-sign at John O'Neil.

:D

In my view the right to allow the collapse of a maul was an awful rule and I don't know why it was ever tried. The maul can be such and integral part of a game and an attacking platform. Just look at the England 2003 team to see how effective a rolling maul can be in the right hands.

When they removed it it felt as if a part of the game had dissappeared. So glad it is back now.

I agree mate, it just ended up being a lottery to see who would come up with the ball from a mess of bodies after a maul was pulled down.
It was also dangerous, I've been in mauls and have felt the weight on top of myself when one collapses on you, and even at schoolboy level it is enough to seriously injure somebody.

Under 19's aren't allowed to collapse mauls, but when I change clubs and move up to Premiers we can :p.

In regards to the maul rule;

I think a lot of this has very little to do with the rule, and more how the players used it.

I think this rule was put in place to maybe, push rolling mauls into more teams repertoire.
However, instead of thinking, "we could still use mauls, but we have to get good at them", people thought, "AW MAN! This sucks, now we can't use mauls, way to ruin rugby!".

I think a lot of the ELV's were initially designed to make the game a little more even for developing nations, and while I don't have a problem with that I can see how a lot of you do.
You have to understand that what the IRB are trying to do is make the game more interesting for the casual viewer, so more people tune into games, and this could have really helped. Maybe not the ELV in question here, but some of them, but instead I kind of feel that the whole concept has been met with a lot of hostility...and I can't understand why. Nobody's really made an argument that I've felt has really question mine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ May 17 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In regards to the maul rule;

I think a lot of this has very little to do with the rule, and more how the players used it.

I think this rule was put in place to maybe, push rolling mauls into more teams repertoire.
However, instead of thinking, "we could still use mauls, but we have to get good at them", people thought, "AW MAN! This sucks, now we can't use mauls, way to ruin rugby!".

I think a lot of the ELV's were initially designed to make the game a little more even for developing nations, and while I don't have a problem with that I can see how a lot of you do.
You have to understand that what the IRB are trying to do is make the game more interesting for the casual viewer, so more people tune into games, and this could have really helped. Maybe not the ELV in question here, but some of them, but instead I kind of feel that the whole concept has been met with a lot of hostility...and I can't understand why. Nobody's really made an argument that I've felt has really question mine.[/b]
While I think the whole lot of ELV's were initially met with criticism, I think quite a few of us warmed up to a lot of them, save the maul. I'm in no way upset with the laws they've now adopted. I think it has made the game a bit quicker, and yes, it makes it more "TV Friendly." The people that initially pushed for these are battling League more than anyone else. League is definitely smoother and faster from a viewing standpoint. However, the rucks, mauls and scrums they leave out are what makes Rugby the great sport it is.

Latest posts