• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why sponsor logos are not allowed in the World Cup?

sigesige00

Bench Player
I do not understand why sponsor logos on jerseys are not allowed in the World Cup. Sponsor logos are allowed in The 6 Nations, The Rugby Championship, or The Pacific Nations Cup. Why not OK only in the World Cup?

Because the IRB's sponsors spend a lot of money to be the official sponsors and with less sponsors, the space is more valuable

Last edited:
Because that the IRB's sponsors spend a lot of money to be the official sponsors and with less sponsors, the space is more valuable

Since there is no sponsor logos on the jersey, there must be player numbers on the front like Soccer. (Argentina have player numbers on the front of shorts)

To expand Conrad smith's explanation for major events like the Olympics/Football World Cup/Rugby World Cup the sponsors put a heck of a lot money into it London 2012 sponsorship covered something close to 1 billion USD of the cost of staging the games (10% of total cost in reality). For that they want complete exclusivity in venue of anything which may be a competing product, so for example Coca-Cola will absolutely go nuts if Pepsi are shown in television or is being sold in venue. As part of this teams are not allowed to run separate deals for clothing sponsorships. Smaller tournaments need less money to run and the teams can do their own individual deals as the side themselves foot a lot of the bill as opposed to world rugby.

I was an IT volunteer at the Olympics in 2012 and I came across to part of corporate branding being removed. All printers were supplied by Xerox as that's who Acer (the official technical partner) got their printers from. As another sponsor also build printers every machine had to have a bit of cardboard taped over the Xerox branding. A similar thing happened with a couple of IT guys with Macbook's on the helpdesk who had to have the apple logo hidden on them as they weren't Acer PC's and were being used under an official helpdesk.

Here's some details on figures involved in sponsorship.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/jul/19/london-2012-olympic-sponsors-list

Coca-Cola will absolutely go nuts if Pepsi are shown in television or is being sold in venue.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/datablog/2012/jul/19/london-2012-olympic-sponsors-list

But isn't it possible to avoid such clashes?
In the 2005 FIFA Club World Cup (held in Japan) there was such a clash.
The tournament was sponsored by TOYOTA, but the jersey of Sydney FC had the Australian League logo including HYUNDAI logo. So Sydney FC's Australian League logo was covered by cloth.

But isn't it possible to avoid such clashes?
In the 2005 FIFA Club World Cup (held in Japan) there was such a clash.
The tournament was sponsored by TOYOTA, but the jersey of Sydney FC had the Australian League logo including HYUNDAI logo. So Sydney FC's Australian League logo was covered by cloth.
Why bother? Might as well say blanket no sponsors rather than some can some can't

Why bother? Might as well say blanket no sponsors rather than some can some can't

AIG was a cruel twist of fate with insurance companies especially when Ritchie hails from Crusader country....might as well sponsor no-one.

I don't drink booze but I've heard the name Heineken and Steinlager.

- - - Updated - - -

AIG was a cruel twist of fate with insurance companies especially when Ritchie hails from Crusader country....might as well sponsor no-one.

I don't drink booze but I've heard the name Heineken and Steinlager.

Is there any particular reason for France for not having any sponsor logo on their jerseys, not only in World Cup?

Is there any particular reason for France for not having any sponsor logo on their jerseys, not only in World Cup?

Integrity?...keep in mind its only been the last 3 years we've had a sponsor, i think it s bit of a pardox as i am a lot less likely to buy a jersey with a sponsor on it, i'd love to see if there had been any drop off on jersey sales for the AB's since they picked up AIG

Integrity?...keep in mind its only been the last 3 years we've had a sponsor, i think it s bit of a pardox as i am a lot less likely to buy a jersey with a sponsor on it, i'd love to see if there had been any drop off on jersey sales for the AB's since they picked up AIG

I wanted to get France's polo shirt (Adidas) at the reduced price but sold out soon....
The new Adidas 3-line design is strange in my opinion.

And I do not understand why Adidas All Blacks jersey do not have Adidas 3-line design. If they do not want Adidas 3-line design, they should choose another supplier such as CCC, Nike, Macron, etc.

Last edited:
It's an odd one, considering they have about 2 minute ad breaks right before kick off... at the stadium we have to sit there and wait while they wait for the advert break on TV, it's nuts... right after a Haka.

I wanted to get France's polo shirt (Adidas) at the reduced price but sold out soon....

And I do not understand why Adidas All Blacks jersey do not have Adidas 3-line design. If they do not want Adidas 3-line design, they should choose another supplier such as CCC, Nike, Macron, etc.
I think you're massively underestimating the global penetration of the All Blacks brand... even people who know nothing about rugby have heard of them in a lot of places. They're one of the most iconic brands in sport and Adidas have fought tooth and nail to remain their kit supplier over the years, happily jettisoning their hallmark 3 lines in order to adhere to All Black requirements.

So it's not so much a question of the All Blacks being better off going with another supplier if they don't like the 3 line design, but rather Adidas bending over backwards to do anything the NZRU want to remain their provider. Your post makes it sound like it's adidas with the power, and I can assure you they are not.

Why would they go with someone else when they can convince the largest sports brand in the word (no proof of that but Adidas are big) to ditch their 3 stripes?

very strange question, i would understand if they had gone with adidas and had to have the 3 stripes and just complained about it..."if you don't want them then go with someone else"...just don't get you

Because the NZRU has a kind of law/rule that prohibits making designs on their jerseys. The ABs jersey should be ALL black. They can put their three stripes in the Sevens jersey, the Maori jersey, the U20s jersey and others but they can't put their stripes in the ABs jersey

its crazy, my understanding is that AIG is on the AB's training kit. they can wear it training but they can't wear it at their hotel or at the games so there are times they have to get changed on the bus...

I actually want to get one of the WC jerseys because they dont have AIG on it lol..

Wish I'd got the last one before AIG, the white collar one...hindsight's 20/20 I guess

I don't understand why you want jerseys to have sponsers on them? They are much nicer without, jerseys shouldn't been seen as billboards, they're are what represents a nation and by having sponsors on them I feel as some one said earlier they lose integrity.

I don't understand why you want jerseys to have sponsers on them? They are much nicer without, jerseys shouldn't been seen as billboards, they're are what represents a nation and by having sponsors on them I feel as some one said earlier they lose integrity.
Have to admit not a big fan of them and wish we had American sports attitude to them. I'd much rather my new Bath shirt didn't have advertising for Dyson, Jaffa, Thatchers & BMT. I can just about live with the Canturbury one as they actually manufacture the shirt.

Don't watch European ice hockey then!

Have to admit not a big fan of them and wish we had American sports attitude to them. I'd much rather my new Bath shirt didn't have advertising for Dyson, Jaffa, Thatchers & BMT. I can just about live with the Canturbury one as they actually manufacture the shirt.

We might struggle a little for money if we didn't have Dyson! That said, I'd love it if Bath also offered a cotton replica, with collar and without the sponsor. Can't imagine that any commercial venture would be possible if there were carve-outs of that nature.

Latest posts