First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Reason 1.

[video=youtube_share;PqmT1vjLmxU]http://youtu.be/PqmT1vjLmxU[/video]

Please add reason 2-&infin

This is going to be a circlejerky thread isn't it. "Hurrr, Durrr, we're gentlemen unlike those soccer thugs. Am I right guys???"

**** that. For every incident like this you have Callum Clarke trying to break someone's arm. Let's not be a bunch of sanctimonious dicks here, yeah?

This is going to be a circlejerky thread isn't it. "Hurrr, Durrr, we're gentlemen unlike those soccer thugs. Am I right guys???"

**** that. For every incident like this you have Callum Clarke trying to break someone's arm. Let's not be a bunch of sanctimonious dicks here, yeah?

No, this is not 'why is rugby better than football'?
This is 'why do we love rugby'?

Dont be a sanctimonious dick trying to derail the thread.

I love rugby because it's fun to play and watch. Is the main reason you love rugby because a player said sorry for kicking someone?

I tried to play soccer but I was too fat...
I tried to play basketball but I was too fat...
I tried to swim but I was too fat...
Going back home I stopped at a rugby field, chin and fingers snagged in the enclosure...one dumpy boy got close to me coming from the other side of the enclosure, looked me up and down, turned to the fellows and said:
not fat enough...but we can work on it...
The day after I was playing rugby...

Jees relax. You've just gone and warped his question into something it's not. If you don't like it, then don't comment, but if you do, try not to be an ass.

I love the game for the collisions and freedom with ball in hand. Being a sprinter through my teens and college, this was one of the few sports that let me attack in full stride, and not be restricted by dribbling etc. Then there's lining someone up and putting in a solid hit in that sweet spot or a last gasp tackle to save a try. There's a lot about the game I love but those are probably the main ones.

I love rugby for the big blokes in the wee shorts. :)

But seriously...

It's the physicality of the game. If I fall down I'm down for a good half hour...maybe more. :p So I am fascinated by men who fall down and get up again, over and over and over. The drive forward, that indefatigable determination to cross the try line, it's just a thing of beauty to me. I think that's it - for me the game has visual appeal. Some people enjoy watching ballet, or ice skating, for the beauty of it. Well, rugby is my 'ballet'.

das

Last edited:
Honest silly sentimental reason? It was what me and my father bonded over when I was teenager. I wasn't particularly into sports (and being pretty **** at them) although I tried and failed with football, my father on the other hand very much so (being pretty damn good at most sports by all accounts I've heard extremely good at rugby). Anyway for some reason between '95 and '99 world cups I started watching England internationals with him, asking questions all the time about what was going on and pretty much my love for sport came out of that relationship.

I traveled home from university for the first time in '03 to watch the final with him.

We live about 3 hours apart now but still talk on the phone at half-time and full-time about how the match is going and try to watch one or two together.

These days I'll watch pretty much every sport except Football and Basketball.

So yeah silly sentimentality is why I love the game most of all.

When growing up as a kid Football was always number one, I was a dam good goalkeeper and even managed to somehow win player of season at under 15 level which was suprising when it is normally given to striker.

My other sport I go to every week and still do is Speedway, I went to a stock car meeting one Easter holiday when I was 10 and they advertised speedway, not knowing what it was I asked if could go to my dad and he said he used to go when he was a kid in 60's and since that first meeting I loved it and helped Sheffield were in a purple patch winning trophies galore, something that has not happened so much recently.

Now football I am starting to lose interest in, players are overpaid and go down like they have been shot over minimal contact and majority of games are boring.

When it comes to Rugby I have always been interested but only recently have I learnt to love the game more and more, My dad played for Sheffield Tigers back in day and to be honest I am gutted I have never set foot on a rugby field (now 28, quick and strong), that may change this summer as I have every intention of getting fit first then finding a team locally, my job also puts me off as I work at weekends so would miss games so would I even get a game when can't play every week.

I used to have shares in Stockport County when they were in League 2 and went to Sale Sharks games back then and that is why support Sale now, I go to odd Barnsley game when I can after work which fills gap between Sale games I can make.

Now after the brief history of myself I will explain why I am loving Rugby Union now more than ever before and why it has pushed football to back of my mind,

- Tough (Players put footballers to shame)
- Technical
- Always something happening
- Tactics used
- but my main love is the Rolling Maul, nothing can beat it ! Even more so when it results in a Try.

So my life was Speedway, Football and then Rugby Union.
Now it's Speedway, Rugby Union & only a brief interest in football.

Some great reasons posted here, whether silly or serious. Glad the thread hasn't disappointed.

I just like that you get out of it as much as you put into it.

We have a young lad who joined us 3 years ago, he'd never played the game before - came to every training session, and we gradually taught him the game - he wouldn't play actual games and no one forced him but everyone treated him as part of the team taking him on tour and everything, and then this year he just said i'd like to be considered to play so we did and he's loving it and his parents are about as proud as you can get.

Last edited:
I love rugby because is the best sport. It's like a war, not everyone can withstand so many hits. The camaraderie is amazing, when you're stuck in the ground at a rucking, your teammates come to help, it's a beautiful feeling. Then you should help them in the next rucking.

The technique, the strength, the tactics, the camaraderie between supporters from different countries and different teams.

I love rugby!!!!!!

Latest posts