• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the most important position on a rugby pitch?

What's the most important position

• Prop

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Hooker

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Second row

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Flanker

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Scrum half

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Out half

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Wing

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Centre

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Full back

• Total voters
centre and fly-half because they are the positions i play and fly half scores most of the points and centre scores most of the tries

Couldn't make my mind up between 9 and 10, so I voted for both

Probably leaning a bit more towards 10 though

Couldn't make my mind up between 9 and 10, so I voted for both

Probably leaning a bit more towards 10 though

Eh? Is that some kind of mod privilage?

A rugby team is built around its pillars, the props...

There is a reason why the team goes from prop to fullback, 1 to 15 :p

They are so important, we now have regulations ensuring the at least 4 are selected in the NH
And, as illustrated in the Front-Row XV thread, a team of props/ hookers could possibly hold its own against even the best in the world

Well each area has its own reason its important tbh but Outside half probs is the "most" important

If I were to say one position, I would say blindside flanker, no players can do anything without the ball, but also props as a team with awful backs could still perhaps win a match by mincing their opposition at scrum time, which more games are won and lost on these years, and also a good kicker is important

In the Finland team (bottom of the IRB rankings)

if you gave them, the two best scrummagers e.g. Roncero and Nicolas Mas

a brilliant rucker and ball steeler and tackler at openside, e.g. Pocock or McCaw

plus somebody to reliably kick all penalties e.g. Carter or Wilkinson

and kept the rest of the team the same, they could maybe qualify for the World Cup

at least that's what I see as the most important position, a position where a crap team with one good player can make a team good

like Latham and Gear at Worcester, good players, but couldn't make a poor blunt attacking team any good

It is the loose forwards in general because they have to be first at the ruck they have to make first man tackles and they have to be the fittest.for e.g. Richie McCaw one of the all time greats.

I wouldnt say which position is the most important because it is a team effort. You can't rely on some one else to make the tackles and stuff for you.

All of them. If you look to when a yellow or red card happens often the teams performance is decreased. It is hard to play without any position on the pitch, every position is needed in one way or another!

To be fair, I don't think the thread is trying insinuate that some positions are redundant

What's the most important position?
Any position with a numbered jersey between 1 and 15.

I voted 10 though only because in today's game it's very difficult to win with a hopeless flyhalf (roll on Stephen Donald)
If the flyhalf can't do his roll properly then almost half the team becomes ineffective. You can have a poor lock or a poor winger or a poor scrum half and still win convincingly but it's not often possible with a poor decision maker at 10.

In saying that it's just as important to have a solid front row, and solid tight 5 and effective loosies so it's not really a question that can be answered.

As already mentioned, they are all important - for example, you can rest assured that players that are weak defensively, will be found out, and exploited regardless of what position they play.

... it's a team game ... A champion team (one in which all of the players do what they need to as a cohesive unit) will beat a team of champions

Some players do have more influence on the game, however. E.g. Fly half.

LordHope hit the nail on the head. It's obviously the props. With out us, there is no scrum ie no scrum resets, ie a full 80 minutes of running, as apposed to the easy 60 minutes we sometimes privilege you.

On a serious note, all players have real importance. If your tight five is useless, then you'll always struggle, as the opposition will win all scrums and lineouts, which people under estimate just how important they are in a game. If your tight five competes well in them, it will limit the options of the 1st 5/8th, as will not be able plug the corners with kicks. I can see why people think the fly half is so important, for no other reason than he is the first receiver, so if he can't catch a ball, or pass well, it will limit the entire performance of the rest of his backline.

Prop, Openside, Fly-Half. However, an outstanding Fullback can save you a game in the kind of way one prop couldn't, yet if you had a team of outstanding players in the other 14 positons, having the worlds' worst Fullback wouldn't matter in the slightest.

I'll vote for 10 for the opposite reason to my last sentance.

Latest posts