• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the easiest sport to win a Gold medal in?

Happened upon this article, and it's one of the best I've read.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160819-whats-the-easiest-sport-to-win-a-gold-in?

Anyone else have any crazy ideas that they figured was worth a shot?

I guess with this question, it's not just how 'easy' the sport is but what the 'landscape' of that particular sport is like at anyone time too. For instance if a dominant figure is active and competing at that particular time, even if the sport is easy... getting past that dominant figure may be nigh on impossible.

... that and 'easy' sports are easy for everyone, so all the perceived 'quick wins' you'd envision going in would be 'quick wins' for everyone else too.

Think that's why an Olympic Gold is considered so highly regardless of event. Having said all that, I'd imagine that one of the many shooting events would be a good start.

It's extremely easy for the average man to win a gold medal these days.

Just change your sex legally and compete against women in something like boxing.
The average man? Really? That's a bit sexist.

What are the rules in the olympics? Can you just cut off your todger and give it a crack? Sign me up! I'll sell my todger on eBay. You can buy it if you want.

Using bionic limbs like that murderer did is probably a better bet though. I'd rather chop my legs off than my todger if I had a choice. Probably the best bet would be to remove the whole tripod.

Another point here, noting it's illegal to post your other points separately, I don't know what sport is easiest to win gold in, but I know swimming is easiest to win many golds if you are good enough to win one.

If they introduced the backward running, the skip, the running but you have to lift your knees above your waist, and all of these at multiple distances, then you'd have the equivalent for running as you do for swimming.

What, and just roll Davros the Dalek style:cool:!
hahahahaha
imgres

I can just imagine him winning and saying "the gold is mine" I found the perfect image but don't think my web skills are up to scratch
https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/davros-and-the-dalek-supreme/davros-journeys-end.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/series4/the-stolen-earth-journeys-end-images.html&docid=BSlRtLV9PsbeJM&tbnid=pcBcq5fyt4DYGM:&vet=1&w=596&h=332&hl=en-nz&source=sh/x/

The average man? Really? That's a bit sexist.
Not the average man, but evidence suggest he's not that far off.
Just out of the top of my head, a group of 14 year old amateur kids beat the best pro women's footie team in the planet a couple of years ago. It wasn't even a contest actually.
Again, 14-year-olds, amateurs, in a country where men's footie is a second class sport and generally gets the rejects from other sports.

Some of the greatest female tennis players lost miserably to a nobody (atp 200-300) who smoked cigarettes in between games.

The difference in speed and strength is abysmal. This is not a patriarchal or sexist conspiracy. Sexual dimorphism in humans is scientifically documented and proven. And again, this is not a minor and specific edge, but a significant and consistent advantage.

Regarding the OP, i guess it would have to be a very obscure sport, probably a rich people's sport, something that attracts uncoordinated fat phucks. Something like curling.

Not the average man, but evidence suggest he's not that far off.
Just out of the top of my head, a group of 14 year old amateur kids beat the best pro women's footie team in the planet a couple of years ago. It wasn't even a contest actually.
Again, 14-year-olds, amateurs, in a country where men's footie is a second class sport and generally gets the rejects from other sports.

Some of the greatest female tennis players lost miserably to a nobody (atp 200-300) who smoked cigarettes in between games.

The difference in speed and strength is abysmal. This is not a patriarchal or sexist conspiracy. Sexual dimorphism in humans is scientifically documented and proven. And again, this is not a minor and specific edge, but a significant and consistent advantage.

I think it was Newcastle (Australia) U15 boys Vs Australia's women's team who were ranked 2nd in the world. The boys beat them 7-0 or thereabouts.

Images Witness, it's easy to change sex these days. All you have to do is say you feel like a woman in a man's body.

Mind elaborating on that, Oly?
Do you believe that asking for sports to be split by sex (biological) and not gender is transphobic?

Do you believe that asking for sports to be split by sex (biological) and not gender is transphobic?
Having a mature discussion about it is not, ridiculing transgenderism as a concept/saying people cut off their genitals as a mental illness or to gain a competitive edge is.

I would imagine it's more the suggestion that one can just 'decide' to change their gender in order to win medals.

It's a suggestion that runs counter to reality both in terms of most governing bodies rules and what a transsexual person is.

Don't think anyone is disputing the well established advantages of men in sports.

Also the suggestion that it's "easy" for a biological man to be allowed to compete as a woman by "just saying you feel like a woman in a man's body" is completely and objectively disproven by the Caster Semanya situation.

Having a mature discussion about it is not, ridiculing transgenderism as a concept/saying people cut off their genitals as a mental illness or to gain a competitive edge is.
I would imagine it's more the suggestion that one can just 'decide' to change their gender in order to win medals.

It's a suggestion that runs counter to reality both in terms of most governing bodies rules and what a transsexual person is.

Don't think anyone is disputing the well established advantages of men in sports.
Also the suggestion that it's "easy" for a biological man to be allowed to compete as a woman by "just saying you feel like a woman in a man's body" is completely and objectively disproven by the Caster Semanya situation.

Hope nobody is suggesting my Davros the Dalek comment was even remotely in this ball park.

I have no idea, whatsoever, where you got the "cut off thier genitals" from. It's as if you were implying that a biological male would have to undergo surgery to compete against women. That is not true. He/She would need to go through a probably long (depends on the sport) hormonal therapy of some sort but no surgery is required. You can have a penis, balls and compete against women, even at a top level.

Gender is about self-perception. Sex is about biology.
I couldn't care less about an athlete's self-perception. To each his own. His/her private life, none of my ******* business.
I care about unfair advantages and that is (or could be) related to sex, not gender.

The issue with her case is related to hormones as far as i can recall, right? But that is only part of the advantage. Height, wight, a lot of the muscle mass, etc remain.

Just look at Hannah Mouncey (biological male, 1,9 meters, 100 kgs, played for Australia's men's and female's handball team). She went through hormonal therapy but she is still just as tall and roughly the same weight which, at that level is a huge advantage.

And i am not saying it is easy. What i am saying is she has a very big and very unfair advantage.

The entire point of segregating sports by sex originated because of sexual dimorphism in humans. Gender was, is and should be (for this purposes, don't take it out of context) irrelevant.
Part of the point was also that the sex is something immutable and in the overwhelming majority of the cases, easy to verify (granted, for that small minority this will be terribly unfair and something should be done about it.).

This is an accident waiting to happen and will end up with a lot of people in tears.

It saddens me to a degree i cant eloquenctly express to say the following, but in this day an age, and given reactions like Oly's i feel i have to: I am by no means saying a trans person should be treated differently in any way. Again, how other people see themselves is none of my nor anybody else's business. In fact, i encourage them to act upon how they feel. It'd unhealthy not to.
But, long time ago it was decided that, in sports, we draw a line between two groups to appeal to different audiences and to level the playing field. That line was sex, NOT gender.
You could argue a new line or lines need to be drawn, and that is fine too. Lets discuss that. But what is happening right now is, not that. What is happening right now in some cases is that some people are using a new definition of what a woman is (self-perception) and applying it to what the rules said (sex). That is, again, an accident waiting to happen.

Shame as the thread has potential.
Leave the politics stuff to the Politics thread.Instead of trying to rail road an actual convo.

On Rich Taff's original question it's extremely tough.

I think in terms of if a random 20 year decided to full time take up a sport.
A team sport like Handball or Water Polo might be the easiest to get into given the relatively small professional numbers in the world.

Shame as the thread has potential.
Leave the politics stuff to the Politics thread.Instead of trying to rail road an actual convo.

On Rich Taff's original question it's extremely tough.

I think in terms of if a random 20 year decided to full time take up a sport.
A team sport like Handball or Water Polo might be the easiest to get into given the relatively small professional numbers in the world.
Speed climbing or skate boarding would be worth a shout because a lot of the top players are boycotting the Olympics

I have no idea, whatsoever, where you got the "cut off thier genitals" from.
Not aimed at you, Umagas Witness spoke about cutting off your legs vs cutting off your genitals to compete in sports

Latest posts