• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the best rugby game available today ?

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
Would like to hear some thoughts. i'm on pc platform.
thanks

Rugby League Live 3 is the best all told.
If you specifically want a union one then Rugby Challenge 2 - it was released on PC but isn't on steam anymore, but you might be able to track it down.
Don't waste your money of Rugby 15 or the Rugby World Cup 2015 game, they're horrendous.

Would like to hear some thoughts. i'm on pc platform.
thanks

Honestly, your best bet is to wait until Rugby Challenge 3 comes out some time in the next two months. The rugby challenge games have been the best we have had on offer since rugby 2008. Unfortunately they are not available on Steam any more. At the very least the new game will have licensed SA, Australia, New Zealand and England, Super Rugby and the Currie Cup (focusing on that since you are South African), and the 7s tournament. It will also have a career mode and a be a pro mode which will be quite interesting.

To be honest we don't really how those new features will pan out, but it's definitely your best bet. Don't touch anything made by Big Ben/HB studios.

Honestly, your best bet is to wait until Rugby Challenge 3 comes out some time in the next two months. The rugby challenge games have been the best we have had on offer since rugby 2008. Unfortunately they are not available on Steam any more. At the very least the new game will have licensed SA, Australia, New Zealand and England, Super Rugby and the Currie Cup (focusing on that since you are South African), and the 7s tournament. It will also have a career mode and a be a pro mode which will be quite interesting.

To be honest we don't really how those new features will pan out, but it's definitely your best bet. Don't touch anything made by Big Ben/HB studios.

yea i second this, best wait for rugby challenge 3 to come out. will be hard to track down a copy of rugby challenge 2.

Rugby League Live 3 with absolutely no competition.

Yeah, I've been pretty blown away by it too mate - just a brilliant effort by BigAnt. A few quirks they still need to iron out, but the series is in very good hands.

Catch the NRL GF by the way?

Thanks i will wait for that then.

Rugby Challenge 3 doesn't have a confirmed release date for South Africa yet, nor that it will release on PC (in SA). So far the news is that it will release in November sometime and that it will be available on PS4 and Xbox One. But like in the past, our distributors are usually very late to the party, and might wake up soon and give out more info.

I'm definitely waiting for it, and like Olyy has said, your best bet is JLRC 2. Me personally, thought it was a crappy game, and that there weren't too many updates from JLRC 1. Otherwise you can't go wrong with Rugby 08. and there is a lot of Mods made for that game, especially for PC.

Rugby Challenge 3 doesn't have a confirmed release date for South Africa yet, nor that it will release on PC (in SA). So far the news is that it will release in November sometime and that it will be available on PS4 and Xbox One. But like in the past, our distributors are usually very late to the party, and might wake up soon and give out more info.

I'm definitely waiting for it, and like Olyy has said, your best bet is JLRC 2. Me personally, thought it was a crappy game, and that there weren't too many updates from JLRC 1. Otherwise you can't go wrong with Rugby 08. and there is a lot of Mods made for that game, especially for PC.

It definitely will be on PC in SA, IGN ZA has it on the list of release platforms and the demo of rugby challenge 3 is on the steam store. I don't think there are any distributors that have any information, I think Tru Blu are holding back on information until they are very close to release. The problem is that there is no release date at all and there is lots of speculation. For all we know this could only be released at Christmas.

It has also been confirmed for 360 and ps3 by the way.

Last edited:
It definitely will be on PC in SA, IGN ZA has it on the list of release platforms and the demo of rugby challenge 3 is on the steam store. I don't think there are any distributors that have any information, I think Tru Blu are holding back on information until they are very close to release. The problem is that there is no release date at all and there is lots of speculation. For all we know this could only be released at Christmas.

It has also been confirmed for 360 and ps3 by the way.

I know it has been confirmed for 360 and ps3, but I can't find any SA supplier or distributor that has announced that yet. Megarom has absolutely zero info on this game, which was the same case with the previous 2 JLRC games. But we are digressing from the topic at hand.

I know it has been confirmed for 360 and ps3, but I can't find any SA supplier or distributor that has announced that yet. Megarom has absolutely zero info on this game, which was the same case with the previous 2 JLRC games. But we are digressing from the topic at hand.

Fair enough, I admit I am not very up to speed on the console side of things. Getting back to the topic though, if you are interested in trying out a rugby league game in the mean time, I can confirm that rugby league live 3 is on steam. I was slightly tempted by it actually, but in the end decided to buy Fifa since I haven't purchased one of those in five years and just in general have a much greater interest in football than league. RLL3 going for $50 so you are looking at about R690 for the game.

may seem like an odd question but would you recommend it to a mainly union fan? i do occasionally watch league and understand the rules etc, just do not religiously watch it and support a team. quite like the idea of starting myself as a rookie and rising up through the ranks in be a pro

To those Union fans asking about RLL3, I grew up playing Union, as a kid it was all I lived for, my take on it is that you've got to treat it as a totally different game, they look similar but strategy and gameplay wise they are totally different.

At the risk of selling less units of RLL3 I'd suggest that if you're up for something different then give RLL3 a go but if you're looking for a strict Union fix you might not get what you're looking for.

Catch the NRL GF by the way?

Best Grand Final by a mile - anyone yet to see it should do themselves a favour! I was literally jumping in the air and punching the sky as the hooter went and I don't support either of the teams playing!!

Last edited:
may seem like an odd question but would you recommend it to a mainly union fan? i do occasionally watch league and understand the rules etc, just do not religiously watch it and support a team. quite like the idea of starting myself as a rookie and rising up through the ranks in be a pro
I know a few strictly-union fans that have picked it up and they're all really enjoying it.
Takes a while to get used to the rules of league/the style of playing/running lines/strategy etc. but you pick it up fairly quickly.

I know a few strictly-union fans that have picked it up and they're all really enjoying it.
Takes a while to get used to the rules of league/the style of playing/running lines/strategy etc. but you pick it up fairly quickly.

Cheers mate shall pick it up

To those Union fans asking about RLL3, I grew up playing Union, as a kid it was all I lived for, my take on it is that you've got to treat it as a totally different game, they look similar but strategy and gameplay wise they are totally different.

At the risk of selling less units of RLL3 I'd suggest that if you're up for something different then give RLL3 a go but if you're looking for a strict Union fix you might not get what you're looking for.

Best Grand Final by a mile - anyone yet to see it should do themselves a favour! I was literally jumping in the air and punching the sky as the hooter went and I don't support either of the teams playing!!

Thank you for your honest advice

My favourite is Rugby Nations 16. All game tournaments resemble real rugby tournaments. The graphics and animation is excellent. You have a chance to become a real rugby star. Plus it takes a little effort to become a champion of the tournament. Also check this out.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on these forums any more... Wondering whether anyone has tried out Rugby 18? Most of the reviews are dismal, but then this isn't unusual for a Rugby game. Most critics compare these games to other high budget sport ***les. Would like the opinion of people more familiar with ***les like Rugby Challenge 2 and Rugby 08.

On a side note, I found Rugby Challenge 3 less enjoyable than 2.

Latest posts