• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

what would be your 41 Man Lions squad for 2021

ruck987

Academy Player
since warren took 41 player for the tour in 2017 i just guess this well be how many players he takes again what would be your squad guys and your matchday 23 for the tests

I knew you was a sneaky one! But I have been thinking about this, a bit worried about this tour.

Not fussed about the squad but worried about which Ster players will risk ruining/ending their careers on the trip so here we go.

1. Healy - Probably still a distant second after a disimproved Mako. He's got a 50/50 chance at best I reckon, depends of any prop talent emerges.
2. A tour too early for Ronan Kelleher with the hooker talent about.
3. Furlong and Porter - Furlong is a cert, Porter I'd give a good 90% chance. Very worried about these two.
Locks - Ryan is a cert, too early for the young fellas.
Backrow - Van Der Flier, Leavy, Conan and Deegan could all contend. A fit Leavy goes but a fit Leavy might be a thing of the past, I reckon two at most with whoever doesn't go getting a big advantage internationally. (None of England's backrow, VdF, Leavy or Navidi travelled and they've been far and away the best backrowers in B&I since the tour)

9 - No one.
10 - Sexton and Harry Byrne probably have an almost equal chance, somewhere around 15%. I think at 36 it's a tour too far for Sexton and Harry Byrne has a lot of names to overtake in Ireland in a year and a half nevermind making an impression for the Lions.
12 - I'd be surprised if Henshaw doesn't find enough form between now and then to get a trip, probably the best traditional 12 available. 90%
13 - Ringrose should be a cert but Gatland is selecting and he's basically the opposite of what he wants in a centre... 80%
Back three - James Lowe is probably the most likely to travel, reminds you of North when he was a young man who Gatland adored. With his arthritis he's one of the last guys I want to travel too. I'd give Larmour a good 66% shot too, he's behind Williams and nowhere near the quality required at wing but none of the other 15s are far ahead of him. (taking this opportunity to point out Hogg is all hype these days)

I'm going to guess 6 or 7 Ster players... That's a big old chunk especially when three will be front five players.