• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Watching popular mainstream movies

you think (our modern Western) society is a place where movies for example are distributed based on true artistic merit ? You think there's honesty in the marketing strategies employed every day ? You feel like ppl go to the movies/rent this or that movie really out of their only individual, intelligently weighed initiative ?
Just asking.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's clear that certain people certain things as a piece of art, and others don't. Your Art Gallery thread is testament to that.

I watch mainstream movies for different reasons.

1. If I read the book(s), I'd like to compare the movie(s) to the book and see if there are major differences or not.
2. It's something fun to do with my Wife. She's a book lover, and has read every Twighlight, 50 Shades of Grey, Harry Potter, etc. book, we watch the movies to spend time together and have something mutual to talk about and how we experienced the film.
3. I'm a superhero fan, and because the area I live in doesn't have things like a comic book store, or comic books, I watch the movies to give me that pleasure, and also to bring a connection to my childhood when I watched the cartoons/animation series.

Most of these movies are main stream, because the majority of people (the mainstream), are enjoying it and love to watch it, whether it's good or bad, it doesn't matter.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, but there is no need to judge people by the movies they watch or don't watch, or that all of us are victims of peer pressure. Because that is simply not true. Because in my case, it's just my wife who is my peer, and we don't pressure each other in watching movies.

you think (our modern Western) society is a place where movies for example are distributed based on true artistic merit ? You think there's honesty in the marketing strategies employed every day ? You feel like ppl go to the movies/rent this or that movie really out of their only individual, intelligently weighed initiative ?
Just asking.

I agree with you its like mainsteam stuff plays the same four chords over and over and they actually just exist to distribute american propaganda to people who have to intentionally lower their intelligence for the necessary suspension of disbelief. I think the language barier protects certain cultures from western brainwashing. Non english Europeans seem to have a nice fresh perspective on stuff.

I saw I Origins recently which was pretty good.

Have you read all the other ones j'nuh? I enjoyed the next two up to Children of Dune but Emperor I found was unbelieavbly boring and poor and has put me off the other wo of Herbert's for now.

Don't bother

I made the error of purchasing all the Dune books in one hit about 10 years ago

The reality is they go down hill the further you get into the series, just felt like money fillers towards the end.

Onto the films, I thought the original film was awful, just awful, it was camper than Adams West's Batman IMHO

Now the TV mini series released in 2000 was much better, still not good enough, but much better

I think the language barier protects certain cultures from western brainwashing. Non english Europeans seem to have a nice fresh perspective on stuff.

very good point, yes. Not giving into the English-speaking spiral and all-encompassing mass industry has salvaged some from a lot of 'existential formatting', as heavy an expression as this is - it's only adequate. But systems are corrupt everywhere (again, sorry for the grave tone) and anywhere there's some integrity it is bound to be infected eventually.

And just, again to the readers of this post, I'm saying nowhere on the thread we should all watch films like 'Pi' at all times, or anything in that vein whatsoever.

I agree with you its like mainsteam stuff plays the same four chords over and over and they actually just exist to distribute american propaganda to people who have to intentionally lower their intelligence for the necessary suspension of disbelief. I think the language barier protects certain cultures from western brainwashing. Non english Europeans seem to have a nice fresh perspective on stuff.

I saw I Origins recently which was pretty good.
American propaganda? :huh: Can you actually flesh this out with a bit of evidence?

One of the main differences between independent and mainstream cinema is that whereas people notice the good and bad of the mainstream, only the good independent movies get noticed. Mainstream movies have these enormous marketing budgets. If the movie turns out to be ****, they have nowhere to hide because they've promoted it so heavily. With independent cinema, the only movies that get noticed are the ones that are hyped through critical consensus. Nobody hears about movies like Vampires vs. Zombies. Or Hell Comes to Frogtown (have to say, this was a film so bad that it was good). The best of independent cinema is fantastic, some of my favourite films are independent productions, but indies aren't automatically better than mainstream cinema. Most independent cinema sucks.

American propaganda? :huh: Can you actually flesh this out with a bit of evidence?

Most independent cinema sucks.

Seriously, like, you're *CLUELESS* about what he means ? Will let him answer though, if he wishes...
And yes yes, the questions I ask on this thread aren't ones to shift from the bad quality of mainstream towards a supposed good quality of indie stuff. Most indie stuff sucks ass. In fact I refer to those specific franchises like Potter or Twilight, those are the object in question. Not just "mainstream" as a whole. If you have a great idea as a director/screenplay writer and you have the budget ? Go for it, much better, no question. Not that I'm interested in debating this here, but I consider Matrix (the first one, isolated) the best movie of all time. Another excellent one, probably the second best film I've ever seen, is The Machinist. It's not ultra-mainstream but it's got very good production and a high end lead actor. I fkng hate the Dark Knight franchise, but Bale is just excellent in that one, just perfect. Avoided the over-acting ever so subtly in a complex, difficult role technically. Plus, handles the American accent like it's nothing - just a note on the side.

Don't know if this bothers anyone else but I'm getting sick of the need to appease the feminist in mainstream these days. For example the last Robin Hood film has Cate Blanchett wielding a sword around like its a tooth pick, and to me that's not realistic.
As for American propaganda that portrays every Russian and North Korean as a deluded villain would be quite offensive if you lived in either country I would imagine. Speaking of propaganda check out the pro Israel gibberish in World War Z.

Don't know if this bothers anyone else but I'm getting sick of the need to appease the feminist in mainstream these days. For example the last Robin Hood film has Cate Blanchett wielding a sword around like its a tooth pick, and to me that's not realistic.
As for American propaganda that portrays every Russian and North Korean as a deluded villain would be quite offensive if you lived in either country I would imagine. Speaking of propaganda check out the pro Israel gibberish in World War Z.

haha. Those are simply the times my man. It's in good/great tone to show certain things a certain way, and discard other things which have nothing wrong with them. There is a sovereign selection, a controlled classification going on that is very obvious (to very few). It's no longer about the truth there is to something, but whether or not it's in line with what contemporary Western society has deemed "okay"; and that, happening through a dysfunctional evolution of bad choices and abuse on many levels, that's led to what is commonly called 'progress'.
In short. Today - "you can't call a cat a cat" (French expression, word for word). More frighteningly, there are things happening behind the curtains most people are completely unaware of. Sometimes, even under their noses, no curtains even. Throw them away, some ppl (tons of ppl) are blind enough that you don't even need the prop of the curtain.
Welcome to our post-1960's happy free little world of no wars, mass consumerism replacing ethics, and most important of all: living in "the right side of the world".

You're looking for realism in a Robin Hood movie?

You do know that there have been female warriors throughout history right? Women being able to wield swords is hardly unrealistic. Especially compared to the vast majority of stunts pulled in action movies.

btw, one of my favourite action movies is Kill Bill. The Bride kicks arse. And... can swing a sword.

It isn't as if different people have differing opinions, right? Some American films are pro-capitalism. Some are anti-capitalism. Some are pro-America. Some are anti-America. It depends on the writers and directors behind the films. Considering American cinema, or even just American mainstream cinema, to be one entity, does a disservice to the hundreds of different writers employed in the industry.

@Big Ewis have you seen a 1960's French film "La Bete", I think its a film you would like.
@j'nuh No I don't expect realism from Robin Hood but seeing a trailer with skinny maid Marion charging around with a sword made me laugh at how much feminism is influencing Hollywood. But I watch mini series if a want to watch historical dramas as they tend to do it better and have much better casting choices then say a Colin Farrell as Alexander the great.
I have yet to see a film where the antagonist is a yank and the good guy is a soviet or a north Korean but that is to be expected when Hollywood is an American industry, but a film like ''Zero Dark Thirty'' is just as much a propaganda piece as ''Triumph of the Will'' or '' Birth of a Nation''.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh look, an intelligent post. You ought to keep that tone down young man and get right down to mindless bashing like the others .

It not mindless bashing, its well thought out, deeply considered WTF!

Ehhh, there is literally no force in the universe that won't keep me from seeing Star Wars 7. I'm even excited about the Batman v Superman movie. Really though, the reason people watch these movies is about spectacle. Escapism. I love a lot of more niche independent films (not so niche, but I strongly encourage anyone to watch Richard Linklater's new film Boyhood, particularly if your anywhere between 18-25 years old, really resonated with me). People watch films for a lot of reasons, a film that costs 200m to make is going to probably create more of a spectacle than another film which is arguably more intellectually heavy. Not everyone wants to think when watching a film (which is a bit of a shame). Some just want to watch the bright lights flash to a simple and predictable story, with lots of things that go BOOM! And that's okay. A 2 millions dollar film may have to spend 20 million just to try and get some exposure anyway.

If you are ever dismayed, at least think to yourself that whatever stupid terrible movie people are going to the cinema to pay and watch on a weekday night, is at least a little less people watching whatever bulls**t CBS sitcom is also on that night.

If you like Sci-Fi and like non-mainstream, then this film is a must see

http://www.imdb.com/***le/tt0390384/

"Primer" was made with a budget of US$7000 (yes, that is seven thousand dollars) and returned US$424,000 at the box office!

The guy who wrote the story, produced it, directed it, edited it, wrote the musical score and starred in it. The other six actors in the film were all friends and family members.

Last edited:
you guys are all fkn amateurs, nobody here's mentioned one of the greatest true films of all-time. Fkng disappointing twàts, should've known better I was dealing with incompetent little farts...
Here (God, do I have to do EVERYTHING...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

Pff, I'll see your Room and raise you Exterminator City

Robot psychologist has argument with robot detective at the scene of the crime:

If you like Sci-Fi and like non-mainstream, then this film is a must see

http://www.imdb.com/***le/tt0390384/

Thanks I'll check this out.

jesus wept, and there was me thinking this forum was already geeked up to the gills.....

Pff, I'll see your Room and raise you Exterminator City

Robot psychologist has argument with robot detective at the scene of the crime:

WHAAAAAT ?!!!!! NOOO !!! hahaah, this has GOT to be second degree !!!!!
Very well, you leave me with no choice. Didn't want to use the big guns so early in the battle but you've raised the intensity tenfold with this. Here, have some Birdemic for you:

Yes, I've seen all of it. *ALL OF IT* we weren't laughing a lot, we were just staring at the movie and each other with our jaws dropped most of the film.
* Except the endless clap scene. That had us close to the floor with very painful abs.

The worst I've sat through was 'Atomic buzzard from outer space'. Just a bad bad.. movie. I can't find anything on Youtube though.

I actually enjoyed 'The room'.