Wallabies injury toll

RoosTah

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Sydney
Someone over at the roar posted an interesting Wallabies v Wallabies line up based on players available v those injured or overseas. Have a look:

1. James Slipper
2. Hansen
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sam Carter
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Matt Toomua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Peter Betham
15. Israel Folau

VS injured/unavailable..

1 Scott sio
2 Stephen Moore
3 Longbottom
4 Kane Douglas
5 Hugh Pyle
6 Siteleki Timani
7 David Pocock
8 Wycliff Palu
9 Will genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Digby Ioane
12 Matt giteau
13 Adam Ashley-cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 James O'Connor

Gotta say, apart from Folau and possibly Kurindrani, you'd back the unavailable team wouldn't you?

That's a pretty big problem for a team like Australia, which has pretty poor depth to start with. The question is how do you fight it? And where does that leave the Wallabies against the Springboks when they play them in a couple weeks?

Overseas players are redundant, it's not a great injury toll though!

Theres an old saying...

If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Its all about the money... if you not selected, move on

Theres an old saying...

If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Its all about the money... if you not selected, move on

The post was only half about overseas players - we're also now on our 9th choice Hooker due to injuries.

The post was only half about overseas players - we're also now on our 9th choice Hooker due to injuries.
I doubt Josh Man-rea would have imagined he'd be around the squad about 6 weeks ago. I mean, we are down to Hansen and Faingaa, Man-rea and who else?
Pat Leafa from the Rebels and Heath Tessman from the Force.

Is Pocock still considered to be better than Hooper? Surely Hooper is now your man?

I still rate Pocock as our most powerful ball pilfering 7. Hooper plays a different game, still want him in the starting team but Pocock's presence at the breakdown was immense.

Every team goes through this. It's about getting depth, and making sure the stockpiles are of the same quality.

There has been numerous threads like this about the Springboks. And I think we have it even worse than the Wallabies as our pool of players are just bigger.

Is Pocock still considered to be better than Hooper? Surely Hooper is now your man?

Don't get me wrong, I love Hoops, but I think Pocock is more effective at test level simply because he brings a great physicality to the breakdown and his pilfering skills are brilliant. Hooper is a tough nut that is very mobile, but I still feel we miss Pocock's grit...

If there is an upside for Australia if everyone is fit next year then you will have more depth than if you hadn't had any injuries this year. Jeremy Thrush and Ryan Crotty were both average players who got their chances due to injuries to others. Both have taken them well. Imagine if Carter had never got injured. If that was so Cruden would have only started half a dozen tests and Barrett would be still unproven.

It's not just Australia to be fair..

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Aled de Malmanche
3. Carl Hayman
4. Brad Thorn
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Messam
7. Daniel Braid
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Piri Weepu
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. Charles Piatau

Would probably be a pretty handy side too.

Well, it won't work for SA as we can pick up most of our overseas based players. Injuries though;

3 Frans Malherbe
4 Flip van der Merwe
5 PS du Toit
6 Heinrich Brussow
7 Willem Alberts
8 Pierre Spies
9 Fourie du Preez
10 Marnitz Boshoff
11 Gio Aplon
12 Frans Steyn
13 Jaque Fourie
14 JJ Engelbrecht
15 JP Pietersen

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Aled de Malmanche
3. Carl Hayman
4. Brad Thorn
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Messam
7. Daniel Braid
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Piri Weepu
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. Charles Piatau

True, but to be honest the All Blacks (and boks to a similar degree) just have that much greater depth. It's like how the Kangaroos can field probably 3 pretty strong teams, but the Kiwis would struggle with injuries to a few key players.

True, but to be honest the All Blacks (and boks to a similar degree) just have that much greater depth. It's like how the Kangaroos can field probably 3 pretty strong teams, but the Kiwis would struggle with injuries to a few key players.

That is a pretty fair assessment, our depth does go a deeper than you guys, we have had a few injuries this year but the team keeps on performing, some of it is not pretty though but it is effective.

sure fair enough buddy, but my reply for specifically aimed at those overseas players ;)

i know you have some injuries too...

Well, it won't work for SA as we can pick up most of our overseas based players. Injuries though;

3 Frans Malherbe
4 Flip van der Merwe
5 PS du Toit
6 Heinrich Brussow
7 Willem Alberts
8 Pierre Spies
9 Fourie du Preez
10 Marnitz Boshoff
11 Gio Aplon
12 Frans Steyn
13 Jaque Fourie
14 JJ Engelbrecht
15 JP Pietersen

you'd seriously pick Francois Stain??? :p i'd rather play without a inside centre then:p but im off topic here... ignore my attempted trolling:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo, Iceman. Under your last post you'll see a little section that says:

"Last edited by TRF_nickdnz; Today at 12:03 AM. Reason: EDIT YOUR POSTS ICEMAN!"

I have 'EDIT YOUR POSTS ICEMAN!' as a predicted response. What this tells me is your not paying attention. So yo, Iceman. Edit your posts instead of double posting.

I think ppl are missing the actual point of this thread here. Australia happen to have a ridiculous list AND just don't have the depth for that to be okay. South Africa have injuries, but they're the deepest nation forward-wise (at least 2nd and 3rd row), have their complete front row (unless JdP isn't first choice ?) and their backline is near-intact with captain JdV there, the back three and they're playing the 10 they want.
For NZ, the main core is right there: they'll be missing a winger or center one time, a loosie another time; but the main group, the identity is there and well.

For Australia, this problem we could call 'existential'. For the other two, it's just the regular injury toll England and France have alike.

Bingo. We're running second and third stringers in almost every position, and with our depth we're putting a side on the pitch that is something more akin to a decent Super Rugby team than a strong international side...

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Aled de Malmanche
3. Carl Hayman
4. Brad Thorn
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Messam
7. Daniel Braid
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Piri Weepu
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Richard Kahui
14. Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. Charles Piatau

Hey, Weepu is a former player :p

Latest posts