Wales Match Day 23 for Italy

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
After a pretty disappointing performance against Ireland the next match against Italy allows Gats a few options as far as selections go. Obviously there is never a need to throw the baby out with the bath water but in international rugby you don't get too many opportunities to give players experience, particularly in actual competition games. To that end i'd probably give AWJ a rest completely for this next game, not dropped just rested.

I'd go:

1. Wyn Jones (if fit, if not Nicky Smith)
2. Elliot Dee
3. Tomas Francis
4. Cory Hill
5. Bradley Davies
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Talupe Faletau
9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Patchell
11. Steff Evans
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Scott Williams
14. Liam Williams
15. Gareth Anscombe

16. Rob Evans (or Nicky Smith if Wyn Jones is fit)
17. Ken Owens
18. Samson Lee
19. Seb Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Owen Williams
23. George North

I'd probably have Patchell and Anscombe switch positions at certain stages too as I'd quite like to see the former in the back three at some point.

After a pretty disappointing performance against Ireland the next match against Italy allows Gats a few options as far as selections go. Obviously there is never a need to throw the baby out with the bath water but in international rugby you don't get too many opportunities to give players experience, particularly in actual competition games. To that end i'd probably give AWJ a rest completely for this next game, not dropped just rested.

I'd go:

1. Wyn Jones (if fit, if not Nicky Smith)
2. Elliot Dee
3. Tomas Francis
4. Cory Hill
5. Bradley Davies
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Talupe Faletau
9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Patchell
11. Steff Evans
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Scott Williams
14. Liam Williams
15. Gareth Anscombe

16. Rob Evans (or Nicky Smith if Wyn Jones is fit)
17. Ken Owens
18. Samson Lee
19. Seb Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Owen Williams
23. George North

I'd probably have Patchell and Anscombe switch positions at certain stages too as I'd quite like to see the former in the back three at some point.

for me it would be more like...

1 nicky smith
2 elliot dee
3 thom francis
4 cory hill
5 bradley davies
6 shingler
7 james davies
8 faletau
9 gareth davies
10 rhys patchell
11 steff evans
12 hadleigh parkes
13 scott williams
14 george north
15 liam williams

16 rob evs
17 the sherriff
18 samson lee
19 seb davies
20 tipuric
21 aled davies
22 owen williams
24 leigh halfpenny

Id like to see owen williams have a bash at 10 sooner or later in that game, but can also cover centres.

i blame gatland 90% the man is a coward dropping patchell for a man who hasnt played for ages and is incapable of getting the backs going was a disgrace

1 nicky smith
2 elliot dee
3 samson lee
4 seb davies
5 bradley davies
6 shingler
7 james davies
8 faletau
9 gareth davies
10 rhys patchell
11 steff evans
12 hadleigh parkes
13 scott williams
14 george north
15 liam williams

16 rob evs
17 ken
18 francis
19 bradley
20 tipuric
21 aled davies
22 owen watkin
24 leigh halfpenny

for me it would be more like...

1 nicky smith
2 elliot dee
3 thom francis
4 cory hill
5 bradley davies
6 shingler
7 james davies
8 faletau
9 gareth davies
10 rhys patchell
11 steff evans
12 hadleigh parkes
13 scott williams
14 george north
15 liam williams

16 rob evs
17 the sherriff
18 samson lee
19 seb davies
20 tipuric
21 aled davies
22 owen williams
24 leigh halfpenny

Id like to see owen williams have a bash at 10 sooner or later in that game, but can also cover centres.

Do you know what, yeah I should've brought James Davies in too... prob exchange him for Tips on the bench in my 23 but yeah I really want to see him get some game time.

gats is too spineless to give patchell and cubby a go, especially in a game that will make each look good....gats needs to go asap along with his kronies
wales with a strong front row and bring through seb davies with awj and a back row that can scavenge at the breakdown should win decent quick ball for a phenonenal back line.....throw in a serious threat like gareth davies and his club partner patchell who always takes it to the gain line with pace and power and you have the making sof a dangerous team. ireland were mega flakey out wide, england had holes but less so as joseph is a class defender. just imagine this welsh back line all fit........................liam williams north foxy scott w steff patch davies reps webb anscombe halfenny

I really think we could have done with his turnover skills against ireland....he's been really strong in that area for years, the rest of his game is as polished. I think his only possible badpoint is his cheeky youthful discipline....but then number 7s do seem to attract more cards.

jamie davies is a magnificent rugby player...the TOP turnover guy in the league, the TOP try scoring forward in the league and the TOP yardage forward in the league in the last 2 years..He has must have the most MOM awards. Not to forget an olympic silver medal and a pro 12 league medal. Him and his older brother jon foxy davies are 2 scarlet legends and his opportunity is already 3 years too late. Its an absolute disgrace

Surely you are more likely to see Steff dropped to the wing, williams on the left wing, north on right and Halfpenny at full back? Just that Gatland likes the tried and tested?

I'm not too fussed about the rest of the team but Patchell needs game time at 10, he is the future and the better player (than Biggar) to play the new game plan. Not sure what the point of playing Bradley Davies in the row is though. We all know what he can do and I would rather them give game time do Seb Davies and Hill. I don't think Moriaty is the future at 8 just a flanker that can play there so Faleteau would come in for me. I would have given Wyn Jones a start but he is injured so I'd go with the same props but give Dee a start. Adams didn't have too many chances in the first two game and should be given another go, Liam Williams is fit and Wales have other wing options for once so he would be moved to 15. Scott Williams has not had the best championship so far and struggled a bit, Watkins has the attributes to be world class so I would like to see him given time in the stronger team than the one that faced Georgia.
L Williams, Adams, Watkins, Parkes, S Evans, Patchell, G Davies, Faleteau, Navadi. Shingler, S Davies, Jones, Evans, Dee, Lee

Owens, Smith, Lewis, Hill, Tipruic, Anscome, Amos (if he can cover centre, if not then North)

Walesonline reporting a slightly barmy selection from gats:

Probable Wales starting XV: 15. Liam Williams, 14. Steff Evans, 13. Owen Watkin, 12. Hadleigh Parkes, 11. George North, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 9. Gareth Davies, 1. Nicky Smith, 2. Elliot Dee, 3. Tomas Francis, 4. Bradley Davies, 5. Cory Hill, 6. Justin Tipuric, 7. James Davies, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Personally wouldn't have made so many changes, because that doesn't always play out well, with unfamiliarity resulting in lots of mistakes. However there's some interesting combos in there. That backrow could prove devastating v italy, some serious open play potential! Not sure on Anscombe, hopefully Patchell is on the bench. I like the idea of Watkin at 13, and that's probably our strongest back 3 if/when all are fully fit and firing.

I like the positively changes of WIlliams to FB, Watkins and playing that back row. On the other hand, changing all the front row, dropping Jones in the 2nd row and Shingler has been Wales' best player. I think the first half might be a bit messy but hopefully can cut loose in the 2nd half. What Wales really need to avoid though is giving Italy a chance that they think they can win it.

Great selection by Gats; (i was only 3 away)...and less conservative than my own....!!!
dont mind that shingler is having a rest before the french game, we know he's class.
Time for the boys to step up.
Congrats to James Davies (just dont do anything silly!) hope he plays out of his skin and has a stormer, to cement his place in the starting lineup.
Would have preferred Patches to start but Anscombe did well (besides the intercepted pass), looking sharp and dangerous against the Saes....guess they are the new 1 and 2 for the 10-shirt......

....would have liked to have seen owen williams given a go at 10 sometime, maybe if he comes home (even if its to the drags) he can draw the gaze of 'the eye'.
For me he is the most complete 10 of the candidates.

Doesn't Gatland give any consideration to my fantasy team when he makes his selections?!? Very constructive selection IMO given Wales' position in the competition. I think you can make a case for every single change on the basis of either resting someone who needs it, giving a player experience or the ability to show what they can do.

Doesn't Gatland give any consideration to my fantasy team when he makes his selections?!? Very constructive selection IMO given Wales' position in the competition. I think you can make a case for every single change on the basis of either resting someone who needs it, giving a player experience or the ability to show what they can do.

All will be revealed Sunday. Makes you wonder how the selection will go for the France game. I doubt it will be so experimental...... maybe.....

All will be revealed Sunday. Makes you wonder how the selection will go for the France game. I doubt it will be so experimental...... maybe.....

Even if the team fails to perform, there will be positives to take out of it on an individual level. The selection for the France game will be interesting if some of the fringe players really put their hands up against Italy. It depends on the position as to how easy it is to switch players in.

Even if the team fails to perform, there will be positives to take out of it on an individual level. The selection for the France game will be interesting if some of the fringe players really put their hands up against Italy. It depends on the position as to how easy it is to switch players in.

For sure! Now that the championship is gone for Wales, it makes the Italy and France games very interesting. I can't wait for super Saturday next week - a crate of beer, a Vindaloo and 3 games of rugby in one day! The Mrs is gonna be delighted!

I like the backs selection and wouldn't have minded that selection going up against Ireland. However I'm a bit wary of picking that back row with a weakened front 5. Italy has tended to pick lighter 2nd rows so far this tournament but seeing that that I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a lot heavier team up front. Smith is always a worry in the scrum so hopefully he holds his own, Evans and lee on the bench is a safety net though in case anything goes drastically wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts