Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
In this poll vote for your two top locks.

This is a pretty contestable position really, because the locking stocks around the world are of quite a high quality. Because of this I may have missed out a player or two, but I don't think anyone I've overlooked would be in the top five in the world, though I'm sure someone begs to differ ;)

I haven't seen Etzebeth enough, and haven't enough attention to Retallick enough although what I saw from both is definitely quality. So my vote would be biased, don't think I'm gonna vote here.

Eben and Retallick, I am such a Retallick fan he works his arse of every week.

I'm split between an Etzebeth/Whitelock and Etzebeth/Retallick combo or simply an alll NZ combo.. I'll probably go Etzebth/Retallick for the workrate as Etzebeth is more than handy enough in the line-out (the only true jumper in position 2 at test level IMO) to compensate for not playing Whitelock. IMO it looks a little something like this;

Line-out:
Whitelock > Etzebeth > Retallick

Work rate:
Retallick > Etzebeth > Whitelock

Though any one of them can trump the other in any given aspect any given day. Etzebeth has more speed and power so is slightly ahead in the contact area and probably at the scrum but I think the NZ duo have slightly more varied skills... I don't think there is a wrong decision IF it includes any two of these three. A lot would depend on the make-up of the rest of the pack; do you have effective carriers in the backrow or do you have an extra line-out option etc..

I've been impressed by the England duo listed here (and then there is Courtney Lawes as well- is he off form or something not to be included here?) but my perception (rightly or wrongly) is that the England pack are more than individual parts and that one for one Etzebeth, Retallick and probably Whitelock are better.?..

I find it funny that matfield is included and I shed a tear that he might even feature for SA in June (Etzebeth, Franco van der Merwe and PSdT all injured) but I think Bakkies Botha should have been included rather as he has been playing club rugby at least and a test last year still while Matfield isn't REALLY all there; more of a back-up plan for the Bulls' injuries to leaders and locks and filling in. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been playing too poorly and is still the master at line-out but his presence in general is much less than it was and it wasn't what set him apart in the first place if I can put it so softly out of respect LOL.

Big Ewis, this isn't all-inclusive of course (2012 was an even better year for him IMO) and he is known for having a short fuse which can cost him but have a gander;

Best no.2 jumper (front of line-out) possibly ever? That is his main worth for me; he just puts so much pressure on line-outs (though I see the refs are allowing skew through-ins more and more). Apart from that he is ferocious in the tackle and gets over the gain line just about every time; I've only ever seen him stopped short twice (once against Ireland looking pretty spectacular LOL), has pace to burn (used to be winger) and has an off-load though probably not the awareness to put the guys on his outside away every time but more often than not and I've even seen him put in two good tactical kicks when he's not involved at the break down wher he has an unbelievable presence for a guy his length. I just hope he gets back to form when he recovers from injury as we've sorely missed him and he tended to get overplayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a couple of years, I get the feeling the top two will be Lawes and Launchbury. Both seem to get better every game.

Restricted by numbers unfortunately! And I don't think a consistent run of form for one season is really enough to justify being included as one of the best in the world. The fact that he's been completely unproven until the last year doesn't really go in his favour compared to someone who's been slowly building.

The 2 best locks there in my opinion is Retallick and Etzebeth, both of whom got my vote. Sometimes though you need context when voting because although they're both (imo) the best, If I was a coach I'd have O'Connell in the team every day of the week. Maybe the Welsh feel the same about Jones, but the leadership and extra stuff POC brings to a side is invaluable.

being honest this time i think the 2 locks for world XV i think it should be Eben Etzebeth and Sam Whitelock

yeah okay I'm going for Etzebeth and Retallick after all. They both really add an extra dimension to their teams' game, which most locks don't. Most locks do work, and are discreet, and chances are you haven't noticed them an entire game unless you're consciously monitoring them.

Etzebeth has youth and power, and how many locks do you see breaking through tackles and running hard ? and apparently is a lineout wiz, this I'll take other people's word for it.
And Retallick only because his last name is fkn badass.....nah, kidding.

yeah okay I'm going for Etzebeth and Retallick after all

Yeah, I picked the same

Special Mention: England's Second Row (For me, at the moment, the best second row around the world)

Cheers

Latest posts