Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Connor Murray (IRE)

• Danny Care (ENG)

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Morgan Parra (FRA)

• Total voters
I excluded Kockott, he's never even been able to crack an international squad. For a similar reason I almost excluded Pienaar, who has been consistently disappointing for the Springboksl, but at least he's made it into the squad in the first place ;)

For me it's a toss up between Smith and Genia. Both are coming into form at the moment, and it really depends on what you want out of your halfback. Given the strength of the backline, and Carter at 10, I think you really need a fantastic distributor, which would go in Smith's favour probably. However, as there are no other kickers in the backline, bar Carter, I think it's probably important to have a halfback who excels in that area, and for that reason I've opted for Genia. I think Care is a poor man's Genia, though Parra is certainly an option too.

I excluded Kockott, he's never even been able to crack an international squad. For a similar reason I almost excluded Pienaar, who has been consistently disappointing for the Springboksl, but at least he's made it into the squad in the first place ;)

For me it's a toss up between Smith and Genia. Both are coming into form at the moment, and it really depends on what you want out of your halfback. Given the strength of the backline, and Carter at 10, I think you really need a fantastic distributor, which would go in Smith's favour probably. However, as there are no other kickers in the backline, bar Carter, I think it's probably important to have a halfback who excels in that area, and for that reason I've opted for Genia. I think Care is a poor man's Genia, though Parra is certainly an option too.

I would agree with most of this but I think Care brings a new format of attacking rugby to the international stage, but has proved on many occasions that he isn't the best distributer of the ball. Genia and Smith are both very good at this. In mo opinion, Parra often gets the nod over other scrum halves is his kicking and how consistent he is, so overall, I would too go for Genia.

I think Care is still trying to remove the legacy of what he was as opposed to what he is. Admittedly this is a bit of 6N bias where I think he was the best 9 and he does still have trouble distributing but I think the Care England have now is very different to the Care of a few years ago. I like the fact that he is a sniping type in the same mould as Dawson, just not yet of the same quality.

That opportunistic try against Wales sums it up really. People dismiss it as an easy try but the fact is Care was looking, spotted the opportunity and took it where other teams may have just settled for the 3, as Wales clearly thought would happen.

Highlights package of Genia:

The tries against the Crusaders and Wales are something special. The Wales one around the 2:10 mark is a brilliant play from a halfback.

Last edited by a moderator:
the results so far are interesting danny care the top voted. well probably right to been absolutely class this year

Very interesting, Danny Care would probably only be my fourth or fifth choice...

Very interesting, Danny Care would probably only be my fourth or fifth choice...
but as i said to be fair on him his season so far has been better than ever but i would have thought Genia or Smith would be no.1 scrum-half na well thats me proved wrong

but as i said to be fair on him his season so far has been better than ever but i would have thought Genia or Smith would be no.1 scrum-half na well thats me proved wrong

Round 2 will probably have the top two halfbacks battle it out, I think we may see the votes swing when that happens.

The mid year tests are usually a painful reminder that some of the players we think are the best in the world really aren't and were really just the best in the six nations. Even the country that wins the six nations usually goes and loses against one of the big three. Care has been impressive but I couldn't give him a vote over guys from the SH that have performed again and again against all opposition.

Smith - plays well for the All Blacks but is very underwhelming by his standards for his club, Pienaar - the polar opposite in that for Ulster looks like the greatest player in the world but puts on a green jersey and looks like me, du Preez - great player and stepped up too intl' rugby again with ease, Genia- when at his best he is the best 9 in the world but last year was very poor, might have been the managements fault, Murray- Strong and physical but isn't the best in the world, Parra- Great kicker and great communicator, Care- Great running player but distribution is not as good as others
I personally would have voted for Kockott had he been available but because the management don't pick him and go for Hougaard instead he isn't in the poll :(

I really don't get the Kockott hype.
He's a good 9, but best in the world? Not even close.
He's a petulant little c**t as well - and not in the way that all 9s should be.

He's a petulant little c**t as well - and not in the way that all 9s should be
Did you see the top 14 final ? He was brilliant and I think he really could make an impact on the international stage. I must be honest I think Care has been bigged up by the media for his good 6 nations performances. I really like Care but how he has(when I write this) as many votes as Genia and Du Preez combined, as he isn't half the player du Preez is.

He's a petulant little c**t as well - and not in the way that all 9s should be.

oh no you're flat-out wrong there. If he isn't THE best, which I can easily accept, he's at very least 'close'. Saying he isn't close means you haven't watched him much in the past two years.

If Will Genia is as good right now in SR as I saw him in a few games the past few years then I'd pick him. Unfortunately I just don't have that knowledge.
I'm still going for him, as I know he definitely was the best during stretches, and the qualities I've seen from him are unparalleled by any other SH, at least at test level, which is the highest level.

P.S.: that kick into the stands he does after scoring a try, I mean, how many scrumhalves can say they do it that well ?

Last edited:
Is he better than any of the 7 named above?
No.
Is he better than Ruan Pienaar? Nah.

So he's at very most the 9th best, which ain't that close to being number 1, is it?

Is he better than any of the 7 named above?
No.
Is he better than Ruan Pienaar? Nah.

So he's at very most the 9th best, which ain't that close to being number 1, is it?

oh yeah, you're right. All good then, no need for discussion ! :D

Latest posts