Top 5 Games of All Time

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Just reading through a few old gaming threads and noticed quite a few posts involving the words 'best game of all time' so thought people might want to list their top 5 video games of all time in descending order. Here's mine:

1. Skyrim
2. Just Cause 2
3. Red Faction: Guerilla
4. GTA: San Andreas
5. Red Dead Redemption

Think numbers 2 & 3 may cause a few raised eyebrows but for me their freedom, game maps that were actually worth exploring and the strategies of taking enemy military bases (which had nothing to do with completing the game... just fun) was awesome... in fact might put one on now... but which one :(!

When I rank games, I don't rank 1, I rank game-series. Here's my Top 5:

1. Sim City
2. GTA (this includes Red Dead Redemption)
3. Turok
4. Uncharted
5. Wolfenstein 3D (original)

No. 5 might be weird but I rate games according to the era they were released. Nowadays Wolf 3D won't be that mind-blowing, but back in the early 90's, it was a phenomenal game.

When I rank games, I don't rank 1, I rank game-series. Here's my Top 5:

1. Sim City
2. GTA (this includes Red Dead Redemption)
3. Turok
4. Uncharted
5. Wolfenstein 3D (original)

No. 5 might be weird but I rate games according to the era they were released. Nowadays Wolf 3D won't be that mind-blowing, but back in the early 90's, it was a phenomenal game.

"Of all time" is such a broad timeframe. Do you go for gaming advancement or sales figures in finding out the best. As I've spent most of the time playing on the Xbox (old and new) I'll rate my 5 on that.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved. Set the bar for FPS when released on the original Xbox and still right up there with the best FPS ever. Some may argue that the recent games aren't as good. I disagree, all Halo FPS games (that excuses the terrible and heretical Halo Wars)

2. Project Gotham Racing. Again, set new levels of arcade-y style racing games. The sequels havn't been as good or challenging to but they are good games me even if have they now been surpassed by the best ever Racing game Forza 4 (in yo' face GT5)

3. XIII. One out of left field this one. I loved the game, the first game to embrace the comic-book style of animation, there was a spin off film which was terrible but the original game was a cracker.

4. SSX Tricky. This a personal choice. I goddamn loved this game. Was such a laugh to play and was hard enough to take a while to complete it.

5. COD. Hard to pick one but for sheer realism, great storylines and general "wow" moments they are classic games.

In more general terms the first game I remember playing was Bubble Bobble on the ZX Spectrum and Football Manager games are big in my game-playing life.

Footy Manager & Age of Empires II. Both approach perfection in their respective genres.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - No. 1

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - No. 1

Do you know what... I loved it back in the day. Opened my eyes to what games could become. Played through it recently though as the misses bought it on 3DS and bored me to tears.

Mind you, I'll be saying the same about my list in 15 years time...:rolleyes:

1. GTA (Love this game cant wait for 5 in October)
2. Borderlands (Great Playing Co-op with my firends
3. Fifa 12 (please don't hate but have to admit the Ultimate Team mode is insane)
4.COD (Still fun)
5.Mario karts (intense game love it haha)

Minecraft could be in there according to my friend but never played it so i dont no

Not sure if I can decide on 5, but my top three would be:

01 Zelda : Ocarina of Time
02 Goldeneye
03 Mario 64

Mario 64 was the first true 3d game, which revolutionised gaming as a whole. I re-played this game a couple of years ago, and it easily stood the test of time, still unbelievably fun with a great control system.

Many hours was wasted on Goldeneye (and Perfect Dark later on). Awesome singleplayer campaign, coupled with stunning multiplayer. Perfect Dark's multiplayer was better imo because it added bots and some interesting new guns (laptop gun for instance).

Zelda : OOT really is a masterpiece in every way. The storyline, the music score, the control system, the vasteness of the world, the graphics (for it's time), all stunning.

I haven't played Zelda : Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy 2 yet, both of which are touted as being better than the two 64 versions here, so looking forward to that.

Halo, Mario Kart 64, Deus Ex, Red Faction, Half Life, Max Payne, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo, Team Fortress 2 are all personal favourites.

Not played the likes of COD or Red Dead Redemtion, so can't comment on those.

Not sure if I can decide on 5, but my top three would be:

01 Zelda : Ocarina of Time
02 Goldeneye
03 Mario 64

Mario 64 was the first true 3d game, which revolutionised gaming as a whole. I re-played this game a couple of years ago, and it easily stood the test of time, still unbelievably fun with a great control system.

Many hours was wasted on Goldeneye (and Perfect Dark later on). Awesome singleplayer campaign, coupled with stunning multiplayer. Perfect Dark's multiplayer was better imo because it added bots and some interesting new guns (laptop gun for instance).

Zelda : OOT really is a masterpiece in every way. The storyline, the music score, the control system, the vasteness of the world, the graphics (for it's time), all stunning.

I haven't played Zelda : Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy 2 yet, both of which are touted as being better than the two 64 versions here, so looking forward to that.

Halo, Mario Kart 64, Deus Ex, Red Faction, Half Life, Max Payne, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo, Team Fortress 2 are all personal favourites.

Not played the likes of COD or Red Dead Redemtion, so can't comment on those.

I bet you played your N64 to death.

Im gonna say
1. Oblivion (haters gonna hate but I loved that game so much)
2. Stronghold Crusader ( Ohhhhh yea baby)
3. Fallout New Vegas ( Starting to see a theme)
4. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Or not. Zelda vs Pikachu only way to go)
5. COD MW3......... Ha no Crash Bandicoot
I need a top ten to be honest

Last edited:
I bet you played your N64 to death.

Never owned one lol. Wasn't allowed a console when I was younger. Played my friend's N64 to death though, really was a great console.

Only console I've ever owned is the current Wii I've got, but I barely use it tbh.

Never owned one lol. Wasn't allowed a console when I was younger. Played my friend's N64 to death though, really was a great console.

Only console I've ever owned is the current Wii I've got, but I barely use it tbh.

Lol, never played Mario 64 but I put a lot of hours into the other two.

If you have access to a Wii, it's worth playing Mario64 on the virtual console. It doesn't take long to get used to the graphics, with the cartoony styling helping it look ok still. The blockyness and textures are obvious though.

Edit. Forgot to mention Sonic! Or how about Tetris?

Last edited:
1. Metal Gear Solid Series(Especially the first one)
2. Command and Conquer Red Alert
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Pro Evolution Soccer 11 - To emphasize this I ****ing hate football.
5. Snake II

Footy Manager & Age of Empires II. Both approach perfection in their respective genres.
Yeah mate, I don't go much further in terms of playing games than those. FIFA, Rise of Nations and Heroes of Might & Magic and that's it. Nothing else holds my interest.

I have to agree with Feic, AOK (AOE2) is one of the best games ever, pity I can't get it to work on Windows 7. :(

1. Age of Empires II - Age of Kings - Awesome multiplayer, awesome skirmish, awesome campaign. Just pure awesome. Teutonic knights > all
2. Half Life 2 - Great great game, was ****** scared when I played the Ravenholm part.
3. Warcraft 3 (The campaign's story and the custom maps that came afterwards, amazing)
4. Call of Duty series, but only: Call of Duty, UO, CoD2, MW1. After that nada (CoD2 and CoD4 both very close, but CoD4 probably the best of the lot)
5. Dragon Age: Origins - A great game I thought with a really good story.

Honorable mentions: Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind,Oblivion,Skyrim) NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 (the original old one), Total War series, Red Alert 1,2 and CnC Generals.

For me, all time:

5. Rugby 08 w/ TRF 10 pack.
4. WWE No Mercy (N64)
3. Saints row series - better then GTA. (360)
2. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
1. Halo series (xbox/360)

Proudly in the collection remain:

Colin McRae 2.0
TOCA 2 touring cars
1080 snowboarding
Micro Machines 96
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
AoE2
MOHAA
Battlefield 2
Combat flight sim
Goldeneye
All GTAs

I forgot about MOHAA, it was legendary as well before CoD1 and CoD:UO. Well here in SA anyway.

Micro Machines... is that the game where you drive around in a kitchen etc? with the small cars? You could play two-player?

Latest posts