Top 14 day 7

gaston le gaff

First XV
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
Domicile
<section class="block block-lnr-custom block-lnr-custom-pub-banniere-rankings-result"> <ins style="width: 728px; height: 90px; display: inline-table; position: relative; border: 0px none; vertical-align: bottom;"><ins style="width: 728px; height: 90px; display: block; position: relative; border: 0px none;">

THIS WEEKS FIXTURES......... a very tasty Toulon v Montpellier in Marseille, will be there doing press coverage for the Club</ins></ins>

</section> <section class="block block-lnr-custom block-lnr-custom-fonctionnement-championnat"> <dl class="tabs" data-tab="" data-options="deep_linking:true;scroll_to_content:false"><dd class="active">
</dd><dd>
</dd><dd>
</dd><dd>
</dd></dl>

</section>

Last edited:
patricio fernandez is looking really good, a shame the argies won't select him as long as he is in france

I'd pick Lopez ahead any day though, Clermont have looked lot sharper with Lopez shame he's injured.

I believe Fernandez is still technically an espoir & not even 22 yet.......a serious talent!

Another good win for Brive excellent on thier home ground, Bordeaux snatch last second victory after a gift from Pau, Toulouse looking good but then again it was Grenoble who are obviously the weakest this season and a good draw away from home for Lyon v Bayonne who will have to get their house in order or its back to the Pro D2 for them. Clermont once again looking the form team, difficult match for us this afternoon v Toulon i'm off in about 30mins. La Rochelle should give Stade a good game in Paris but Stade should come out winners of this one.

I believe Fernandez is still technically an espoir & not even 22 yet.......a serious talent!

I didn't say he's not talented. I said Clermont look more like themselves with Lopez at 10. They had a very average if not poor by their standards 1st half which kept Castres in the game.

Try of the weekend another Nakaitaci solo from 0:35 on

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had hard home match again... I mean, we begin bad. But I am agreably surprised that Brive found the resurces to win this match...
La rochelle is truly surprising, despite 3 keys players invisible on the ground (especially Brock James in the worst day I've seen for long).
MHR has disapointed, I didn't expect Toulon won it that easy. No willingness, no strength, poor game for Jake white's men.
ASM strong, as usual, but not a surprise, Nakaitacy is in great shape, I think he will be picked by Noves for the 6N if he continues this way.
Pau is unlucky, Grenoble is very poor this season, LOU and Bayonne aren't very entertaining. I regret the old Bayonne, the true french flair they were showing then.

That was hard to watch for Racing but Brive wanted it more and we looked quite disjointed. I blame the pressure we had on us due to the Brive Scrum dominating and our center pairing isn't working as is.

do not worry too much there will be plenty of teams who lose at Brive, we have still to win there, come close often but never won in Brive, they play simple rugby and Germain kicks the penalties not the best show on earth but very efficent.

do not worry too much there will be plenty of teams who lose at Brive, we have still to win there, come close often but never won in Brive, they play simple rugby and Germain kicks the penalties not the best show on earth but very efficent.

Brive used to play an entertaining rugby, but like Bayonne, it was the principal resaon of the team descent in Pro D2... Small team (Brive has the smallest budget of Top 14 and few pro D2 teams have more money even) can't play a too opened rugby... BTW, I also saw big teams playing too restrictive rugby with great players... Brive hasn't any star, the only choice is to play efficient as a whole team, the good old rugby based on fight, conquest, scrum, strong forwards, efficient defense. Coujoux coach have willingly decided to make some "impasses" outside to concentrate efforts on winning at home. Heart and willingness makes also difference when you have not any talentuous players.

Brief, we play with our guns, our forces.

I do not think its all about money Brive have been playing like this for a while now its effective and wins them games they don't need stars playing this way, they could play differently without loads of money or stars, but this is Brive it's a Battle every game and they are tough opposition, i also think they are right in what they are doing, keeping tight getting the penalties and Germain converting, if it keeps them in the TOP 14 alll well and good for them and at the end of the day this is what it's all about. There will not be many teams that go to Brive and come away with 4pts.

I think it's about money AND the player you choose to make the team which is important. With money you can have better players. Toulon has built their success on this and it has gone in my way if we analysed the 4 last seasons... it doesn't make all, I agree. At the end, Brive shouldn't do the play off with the team it has.
BUT if we had money, we would have different players, I bet it strongly. I have no doubt on it. I would prefer to play like ASM is doing, but we can't, ASM can change its system due to the fact they have many style of players.
After having said that, the coach has another importance in the thing too... Carbonneau and Godignon are very pragmatic. They know to obtain 100% of their team, when opponent come here with "sufficiency", complacency... the "wake up" can be brutal lol... if they come with sstrong will, respect us, if their players are simply far better than ours, we are trashed here, Clermont did it often here... the team who has come and taken us too "lightly", they pay it expensive.
To finish, Money is also important when it comes about the bench : when CAB has 3 or 4 injuried in the forwards, they loose the match at 95%... And if we hadn't Germain, we would be last in about 5 match... I din't even understand how we have been able to keep him, last year, Toulon has proposed him to come and finally, he deicded to refuse... surely to not be the replacement of another guy.... But I think that many other teams, stronger and more ambitious than Brive could have taken him... I considere he is the best kicker for the last 2 or 3 years, he has improved alot in defence and have become a decent 15 in attack... I think he is top 5 fullback actually, he shouldn't play in Brive and defintively, he is far better than Spedding.

i could not agree more with Germain he is better than Spedding and a great goal kicker, you talk about stars and money it does not always work that way, you have stars you have bigger problems i can assure i am in the middle of all that. Brive do excellently without stars or massive amounts of money and it not sure they would get the same results with more of what they have not got. Maybe also the stars would not take to conditions that easily they do love their home conforts, Brive is not a paradise, nothing wrong with it but probably diffficult to get big players to move Brive.With the coaches you have i think also it would be difficult to change the style of play and why change something that is not broken.

i could not agree more with Germain he is better than Spedding and a great goal kicker, you talk about stars and money it does not always work that way, you have stars you have bigger problems i can assure i am in the middle of all that. Brive do excellently without stars or massive amounts of money and it not sure they would get the same results with more of what they have not got. Maybe also the stars would not take to conditions that easily they do love their home conforts, Brive is not a paradise, nothing wrong with it but probably diffficult to get big players to move Brive.With the coaches you have i think also it would be difficult to change the style of play and why change something that is not broken.

I don't totally disagree on what you say, and whatever, we won't know as the question of stars or money is not even posed here lol
I remember that when a good player revealed himself with Brive, generally he left for a so-called better team (Laharrague, Palisson to citate some...).

Germain is the the "enigma", he is constantly improving, have truly a strong impact on the team efficiency (in all sectors), there's truly a Germain's dependance for Brive. When he plays or kicks bad, the forwards become less efficient and more hesitant.