• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tony Brown

great, just need to get Jeff Wilson, Aaron Pene, Josh Kronfeld, John Timu & John Leslie back again and they will be in business!

Otago have reacted to their shocking season by signing up a huge number of new players (including Brown), as well as getting rid of a number of players (http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/141953/rugby-otago-signs-swag-new-players ).

I largely agree with the players they have signed (and got rid of) with few exceptions:
Newly signed players (not including those who were already in the Otago region):
Tony Brown - not sure about this signing. He will undoubtedly be a great mentor to the young first-fives in the squad, but I really can't see him adding much on the field as a player. He is almost 36, and has apparently had injury problems all year (and if you are getting injured playing rugby in Japan you know you are doing something wrong :) ).
Locks Daniel Ramsey, Rob Verbakel - I like the signing of Verbakel as he is a talented young player who has only been playing rugby for about 3 years, so has plenty of room for improvement (and I went to the same school as him...). Not sure about Ramsey though as he plays a bit loose for my liking.
Daniel Crichton - don't know much about him. Failed to establish a spot in the Tasman team over the last 2 years, so I'm not expecting him to be a superstar....
Tony Fenner - apparently a 21 year old English first-five. Know nothing about him, but am slightly surprised they signed him given they now have 4 first-fives in their squad (himself, Hayden Parker, Glenn Dickson, and Tony Brown).
Ben Atiga - could be a really good signing. Seems to have been around forever, but is still relatively young (27). Should add some real experience to the Otago midfield.
Outside backs Buxton Popoali'i and Hanipale Galo - Popoali'i is a great signing, as he could really add some attacking spark to the Otago backline. Don't know much about Galo, but he can't be any worse than Fetu'u Vainikolo...

Missed out on contracts:
Andrew Parata, Chris Small, Ryan Shortland, Charlie O'Connell, Peter Mirrielees, Josh Tatupu and Paula Kinikinilau - the only two I would have offered contracts to are Shortland and Small, as both looked comfortable at ITM Cup level (without being stars). The likes of Parata, Mirrieless and Kinikinilau are all good club players but struggled to make the step up, while Tatupu is a strong runner but doesn't know how to pass, which is really a prerequisite for a midfield back.

Last edited:
Otago have reacted to their shocking season by signing up a huge number of new players (including Brown), as well as getting rid of a number of players (http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/141953/rugby-otago-signs-swag-new-players ).

I largely agree with the players they have signed (and got rid of) with few exceptions:
Newly signed players (not including those who were already in the Otago region):
Tony Brown - not sure about this signing. He will undoubtedly be a great mentor to the young first-fives in the squad, but I really can't see him adding much on the field as a player. He is almost 36, and has apparently had injury problems all year (and if you are getting injured playing rugby in Japan you know you are doing something wrong :) ).
Locks Daniel Ramsey, Rob Verbakel - I like the signing of Verbakel as he is a talented young player who has only been playing rugby for about 3 years, so has plenty of room for improvement (and I went to the same school as him...). Not sure about Ramsey though as he plays a bit loose for my liking.
Daniel Crichton - don't know much about him. Failed to establish a spot in the Tasman team over the last 2 years, so I'm not expecting him to be a superstar....
Tony Fenner - apparently a 21 year old English first-five. Know nothing about him, but am slightly surprised they signed him given they now have 4 first-fives in their squad (himself, Hayden Parker, Glenn Dickson, and Tony Brown).
Ben Atiga - could be a really good signing. Seems to have been around forever, but is still relatively young (27). Should add some real experience to the Otago midfield.
Outside backs Buxton Popoali'i and Hanipale Galo - Popoali'i is a great signing, as he could really add some attacking spark to the Otago backline. Don't know much about Galo, but he can't be any worse than Fetu'u Vainikolo...

Missed out on contracts:
Andrew Parata, Chris Small, Ryan Shortland, Charlie O'Connell, Peter Mirrielees, Josh Tatupu and Paula Kinikinilau - the only two I would have offered contracts to are Shortland and Small, as both looked comfortable at ITM Cup level (without being stars). The likes of Parata, Mirrieless and Kinikinilau are all good club players but struggled to make the step up, while Tatupu is a strong runner but doesn't know how to pass, which is really a prerequisite for a midfield back.

Waitaki boys is for **** *****

Latest posts