LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Anyone here that does Yoga?

Just wondering how much benefit you get out of it, was thinking about doing a class a week.

Been told it is decent for meeting flexible older women so there is that.

Have heard nothing but good things about it, tbh.
Want to get into it but I'm exceptionally impatient and don't have the patience to get past the beginner stages.

Dude yoga is tight as ****, no joke, you'll be happier. Did me a nice change.

Good to hear started doing some meditation crap before I go to bed and it actually works hoping this take it up a notch. (God next thing I will do is get a tie dye shirt with crystals and move to bath or Glastonbury.

Have heard nothing but good things about it, tbh.
Want to get into it but I'm exceptionally impatient and don't have the patience to get past the beginner stages.

Yeh I have read good stuff about it but no one I know goes to classes.

did it before i ****ed my shoulder up (baseball not rugby) and i enjoyed it

at first i really struggled with being still but once you get used to it it is very relaxing

I do the Iyengar style once a week.
It's brilliant but ridiculously hard if you have a tight lower back and tight hamstrings.
No joke, it's hard work.
McCaw was a regular practitioner.
Sting is also a regular practitioner. He talks about the Tantric advantages in the bedroom.
Bikram yoga (warm temperatures) is also gaining popularity.
https://www.bikramyogalondon.com/why-the-heat
See all the sheilas, yes, yoga is full of sheilas. Bikram yoga is full of sweaty sheilas

I've actually been considering it too because I've got exceptionally tight hamstrings, and I've now reached the age where they can no longer last the full 80 without something pulling. Not sure I have the time though

For those with tight muscles try taking a 400mg magnesium supplement which improves muscle function. This along with regular stretching/yoga has worked well for me.

I'm a qualified yoga teacher. Nothing but major benefits across board. Also it's vital if your in an office job or sitting position majority of the day

I've actually been considering it too because I've got exceptionally tight hamstrings, and I've now reached the age where they can no longer last the full 80 without something pulling. Not sure I have the time though

Same for me. I have tight muscles everywhere! I'm also looking at yoga or pilates to help with my posture too. Years of hooking and sitting at a desk have given me a bit of a hunch!

I'm a qualified yoga teacher. Nothing but major benefits across board. Also it's vital if your in an office job or sitting position majority of the day

Can I ask your advice in that case - I have extremely tight hamstrings which are now causing me to have to sub off at about 60-70 minutes every Saturday. Ive come to the point of realising that to prolong my rugby career I need to do something about this, however I'm not overwhelmed with free time. I was thinking of building 15 mins stretching into my daily routine, do you think an hour of yoga a week instead/as well would make a massive difference?

Can I ask your advice in that case - I have extremely tight hamstrings which are now causing me to have to sub off at about 60-70 minutes every Saturday. Ive come to the point of realising that to prolong my rugby career I need to do something about this, however I'm not overwhelmed with free time. I was thinking of building 15 mins stretching into my daily routine, do you think an hour of yoga a week instead/as well would make a massive difference?

I think it'd be more beneficial if you try an hour a week of yoga but also bulid in 15mins daily foam rolling or stretching hamstring and back as well as hips. Just 30 sec holds etc. The yoga will also improve your breathing when holding stretch to get more out of it too. You'll be suprised even after 2 or 3 weeks the improvements that you will see

Big thing here now is the backballer. Check it out if you use foam rolling. We've all Munster boys using them daily

Big thing here now is the backballer. Check it out if you use foam rolling. We've all Munster boys using them daily

Thanks for all the advice.

I've had a quick look at the backballer online and it's obviously more expensive but not unaffordable - would you say it's worth the extra money compared to a foam roller? Bear in mind the level I
Play at is pretty low, I don't put my body through any huge amount of punishment on a Saturday.

On yoga - there are several different types of yoga, are they all much of a muchness or are there any you'd recommend/avoid? Also, if I do an hour a week does timing matter relative to matchday?

Thanks for all the advice.

I've had a quick look at the backballer online and it's obviously more expensive but not unaffordable - would you say it's worth the extra money compared to a foam roller? Bear in mind the level I
Play at is pretty low, I don't put my body through any huge amount of punishment on a Saturday.

On yoga - there are several different types of yoga, are they all much of a muchness or are there any you'd recommend/avoid? Also, if I do an hour a week does timing matter relative to matchday?

On backballer. It's just an easier way of using it like. How much is it working out online.
The key to all this is don't look at it just for rugby but for your overall body in general. And then it won't matter come match day as your body will pretty much always be loose.

On Yoga. Again it'll be more having your body right for all the week in general and developing good habits.
Try think of the long term effects

It is about more than match day of course, I just meant if I did it say the morning of the game would it leave me tired for KO? Or if I did it in a Sunday when my body's tired could that make it less effective overall?

It is about more than match day of course, I just meant if I did it say the morning of the game would it leave me tired for KO? Or if I did it in a Sunday when my body's tired could that make it less effective overall?

No. Maybe just not immediately before game at start as it can be painful

Latest posts