• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Laws of the Game/Referee - Discussion Thread

Thanks smartcooky, so in both cases it's legal that the player jumped or was lifted into the gap after the ball was thrown.

But what about this scenario I also saw on the weekend. Here on the picture you can see that metre gap has completely disappeared and the two lifters arms are centimetres apart, and what happened was the jumper in competing for the ball kind of ended up leaning into the black jumper and knocking him away from the catch and the ball being overthrown.

In this scenario from what I've understood of what you said. The jumper is legal as he's going for the ball, but the lifter who can't be considered as 'jumping for the ball' should have been ruled offside for closing the gap?

lifter%2Bjumper.png

It would be a hard ask to expect jumpers to stay a half-metre away from the line of touch while holding a 110kg player up half a metre to the side and still expect them to still bring him down safely and in a legal position as the Law requires. The Laws don't say anything about lifters/supporters in this regard, so I might ask this one on the refs forum. There are a number of UK National Panel referees there who will be familiar with this.

what is the members views on the Value that the TMO adds to the International game??

if the TMO protocol was to be revised, how would you like it revised ???

SCRUMS SIMPLIFIED
There has been no effectual changes to the scrum downs. The idea that the hooker needs to be jammed farther forward
to reach the ball was created initially over 120 years ago. At that time there were as many as 5 or 6 per side in front row.
The only purpose this serves present day is to create an unnecessary pressure point. From that center point the front
row can be pushed, pulled and twisted left, right, up or down. The clear alternative to this is in fact already in the law book
under front row binding. Have the hooker come in under the props in support of front row; and not to a convex point:
But rather slightly concave. In other words the hooker will not throw his arms over and around the props as
they set up for scrum but the opposite. The props wrap over and around the hooker. There are several other advantages to
this: For example the hooker is has more freedom not just to protect himself but also easier to engage his rear bumper / locks.
This improved method not only lessens the wheel and/or collapse but relieves much pressure off tight head
and hooker. I played for 34 years - 31 as a hooker. Don't be so quick to condemn or ridicule before trying it. I've done it-
It Works just fine.
Sincerely,

I was very surprised by the Glasgow-Toulouse game.
In the 2nd half, Glasgow's No1 was replaced by No17. However, there was no number on his jersey. Probably there was mistake in the printing of number before the game. But, is a player without number OK?

Captain's permission

I was very surprised by the Glasgow-Toulouse game.
In the 2nd half, Glasgow's No1 was replaced by No17. However, there was no number on his jersey. Probably there was mistake in the printing of number before the game. But, is a player without number OK?

The idea is to monitor who & what you are up against: Especially when money is involved. If opposing captain recognizes & acknowledges
said player, then yes. In front row we need people who can handle it for safety reasons. Personally, I want to play against anyone who thinks he is better than me. That's the fun of it and I respect them for it.

I have a question. Is kicking tee really necessary? I would suggest an alternative to kicking tee: American Football's Field Goal-style kicking (one player set the ball on the ground and kicker kicks that ball). What do you think?

I have a question. Is kicking tee really necessary? I would suggest an alternative to kicking tee: American Football's Field Goal-style kicking (one player set the ball on the ground and kicker kicks that ball). What do you think?

Haha you really do have a talent for picking up on things that really have no consequence to the game at all.

The position of the ball on a tee is completely different to the American Football style, which tends to be just straight upright.

No need to take out kicking tees at all.

Law 20.9 (b) All players: Handling in the scrum. Players must not handle the ball in the scrum or pick it up with their legs.

Sanction: Penalty kick

Can someone tell me how Garces allowed Falatau to get away with picking up the ball from within the back-wheeling Welsh scrum, which led to Falatau offloading to Webb to score Wales's only try?

http://youtu.be/OZADDLe7xG8

Watch link to highlights and the scrum is between 6 and 11 seconds of above video clip.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how Garces allowed Falatau to get away with picking up the ball from within the back-wheeling Welsh scrum, which led to Falatau offloading to Webb to score Wales's only try?

http://youtu.be/OZADDLe7xG8

Watch link to highlights and the scrum is between 6 and 11 seconds of above video clip.

Also broke his bind and went down on one knee to pick the ball out of the scrum. I'm sure it's not legal but there was no discussion about it during or after the match so I'm not sure about it.

There were also numerous front row issues Wales could of been pinged for.

After the match there's been huge discussion about it, simply put Wales were pretty lucky to get away with it.

The bonus point system must be abolished.
The consolation point for beaten teams is totally useless.
The 4-try bonus point is aimed at encouraging try-oriented play, and this is not wrong. But this should be done by a different way.
Instead of bonus point, I suggest changing scoring system:

1st try -- 5 pts
2nd try -- 6 pts
3rd try -- 7 pts
4th try -- 8 pts.....

Cannot see this ever happening!!

Why should the bonus pts system be abolished????
I think the BP system should stay exactly as it is

Cannot see this ever happening!!

Why should the bonus pts system be abolished????
I think the BP system should stay exactly as it is

Lot to be said for French system of three clear tries difference rather than just going for four tries!

Lot to be said for French system of three clear tries difference rather than just going for four tries!

Definitely - it's a good system.

It only really starts to work when teams in whichever league start routinely getting try BP's though, and at that point there is less need to encourage tries through BP's. :lol:

A little behind the times, but I'm just now catching up with the Sarries-Wasps game from Sunday and during the buildup to the Sarries try in the first half, there were two consecutive penalties given against Wasps for offences in the maul. On both occasions, the referee said something along the lines of "you can't change your bind to get onto the ball carrier." Any idea what rule he was referring to? I was very confused by it as a) I don't think I've heard it referred to before; and b) as far as I can tell it makes absolutely no sense - as Ben Kay pointed out in commentary, if you can't change your bind then how on Earth can you get onto the ball carrier?!

In principle I understand the rules in a maul, although in practice I do often struggle to distinguish legal from illegal defence, but this just has me totally stumped. The first I can see looked like "swimming" up the side of the maul, but the second in particular (against Nathan Hughs I think) looked completely legal as far as I understand the rules, even watching again in slo mo; regardless, it's not so much that the penalties were given as the referee's explanation which I don't get.

Can anyone shed some light upon this?

Is the ref referring to completely unbinding and rebinding to the same player to help you be a position to get to the ball carrier? It's the only thing I can think that makes any sense.

You simply need to get 3 more than the opposition.

So if they score none you need 3, if they score 2 you need to score 5.

You simply need to get 3 more than the opposition.

So if they score none you need 3, if they score 2 you need to score 5.

We play these rules... It makes for good rugby when you are winning. You see teams running from their 22 of there is chance to get the BP and not lose/give them a losing BP.

Latest posts