• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

THE Guinness Pro14 Thread

Good we really don't need him and it's worth not having the Connacht fans throwing accusations of poaching at the team they all supported up until 2011.

The Pro14 final next season will move from the spiritual home of Irish rugby to the spiritual home of Irish football. Celtic Park in Scotland. :p

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44008179

A strange one on the surface with two possible explanations:

a) SRU are in ongoing negotiations with the football union for them to dump Hampden park and have football internationals at Murrayfield. So this is a demonstration of what rugby could give to football in return and an example of the benefits of working in partnership between the sports. Everything is calculated and political with the SRU these days (not necessarily a bad thing) so I favour this.

b) An effort to tap into the sectarian market in Scotland (please god no!) and prevent football's monopoly on all things hate-filled.

The complete disinterest in Wales hosting this continues to baffle me although I think someone said previously that it might clash with entertainment events at their stadium?

There was speculation/talk that SA would be approach for the following year but surely the comp would have to get more of a public following there before that was an option. Italy of course aren't even considered. Rightfully so until they show that they can get anywhere near 10k for a club game.

I can see it going being shared between Dublin, Glasgow and Edinburgh for a while, maybe Limerick if Thomond is considered big enough. WRU get more from a big concert and Italy and SA need fans!

Unpopular opinion but I think from now on every rugby game everywhere finals obviously included should take place in Parc Ui Chaoimh with the odd game in Pearse in Galway. If they're good enough for THE inimitable Mr Edd Sheeran they're damn sure good enough for the Scarlets, whose best known ginger is an average to poor 15 and a completely unknown quantity as a multi faceted singer songwriter.

How will the locals react if Leinster in their blue shirts make the final in Celtic Park?

As long as you don't rock up in joggers and don't start drinking until the afternoon then you should be alright.

I'd be more worried for any Cheetahs fans that turned up in orange tops. The predator becomes prey! :p

Honestly though Glasgow has really lost its mantle as the murder and violence capital of Europe. Sad days, but can't hold a candle to London at the moment.

What was the deal with the Pro14 preview show on Freesports? Three Irishmen and Martyn Williams? I thought Premier Sports / Freesports didn't even have the rights in Ireland, so was this show ported over from Eir Sports? I'm not giving a damn about the nationality of presenters but it just struck me as a bit unusual unless the Irishmen were from north of the border.

Also a lack of any former coach in the Scottish punditry team is pretty grim. I'm not sure what insight of the game these guys developed from playing for some of the worst Scottish sides in history! And Dougie Vipond... I think he must know where the bodies are buried or something. :S

The complete disinterest in Wales hosting this continues to baffle me although I think someone said previously that it might clash with entertainment events at their stadium?

The taffs are even more tight fisted than the jocks.

Us? We love nothing better than pi$$ing our wages up against the wall.

Espn just announced they have the rights to every game until 2021. Every game will be on espn+ which is only $5 a month.

What was the deal with the Pro14 preview show on Freesports? Three Irishmen and Martyn Williams? I thought Premier Sports / Freesports didn't even have the rights in Ireland, so was this show ported over from Eir Sports? I'm not giving a damn about the nationality of presenters but it just struck me as a bit unusual unless the Irishmen were from north of the border :S

Yeah the 'quality' of that preview show left a LOT to be desired...

On another note, happy to see the league getting a broadcaster in the states, there are a lot of great players in the Pro 14 and 6 or 7 very good sides. The Pro14 rights are probably going cheap (compared to those of the Top 14 and the Avivish) and 'pound for pound' they would be a bargain for most sports networks around the world who are scratching around for content.

Article on efforts to improve refereeing standards and cultivate refs in Italy.

http://the42.ie/4269016

Cockerill apparently submits his own video analysis of refereeing decisions each weekend. They must love him :p
"The 13 referees that make up the Pro14′s elite squad – including the likes of Nigel Owens, John Lacey, Stuart Berry, Ben Whitehouse and Marius Mitrea" that's a depressing read... Mitrea is the best there.

Latest posts