Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
80852042_525381688319940_9171373786925105152_o.jpg

Two things
1) 2 teams who paid handsomely for trying to feed at the top table and are either dead or dying.
2) only 15 teams played over 10 years
Surely this should finalise the ring fencing argument and should start from next year.

Of course, in that 10 years, Exeter and Bristol have both arrived in the Prem, and improved it by their presence.
You're right though, ring fencing argument should be finalised forever as the bloody stupid idea it has always epitomised.

Sport is about merit.
Ringfencing bans any talk of merit from that point onwards.

No that is why ring fencing should be done.
No new teams have made it in the last 10 years.
The cartel has started.
Franchises and ring fencing would mean proper revenue sharing could happen and a hard salary cap that is published.
I would also look towards a British and Irish League with 24 teams.

I hate the idea of ring fencing

I understand it (potentially) strengthens sides long-term but I love the excitement of a relegation battle, and that's speaking as the fan of a side regularly in one.
The lows and then highs of Sale being the first side to ever be bottom at Christmas and then survive was some of the best times I've had as Sale fan

The way to save promotion and relegation is to invite other teams from the islands. Unfortunately the interests of the owners and the interests of the fans are diametrically opposes in rugby right now.

Great Britain plus Ireland. Sorry. Should have been more descriptive.
The English club's will never agree to non-English clubs joining the league - any major change needs unanimous agreement from all founder sides

Why would they agree to have a side some in and take their place at the top table?

Yeah, it'll never happen cause it would be suicide for a certain group of owners.

It would instantly make a competitive championship Division and would make a much better product overall.

speaking outside the realm of plausibility: couldn't the rfu threaten the premiership by letting other teams into the championship?

The English club's will never agree to non-English clubs joining the league - any major change needs unanimous agreement from all founder sides

Why would they agree to have a side some in and take their place at the top table?
Why take their place.
24 teams playing a 22 game season plus play offs would keep the current numbers.

I was thinking of
4 Irish, 2 Scottish, 4 Welsh, 12 English with Cornish Pirates and London Irish joining the Celtic groups.

What's the point of merging two leagues If you are just going to end up splitting them into two divisions?

the appeal of the British and Irish leagues is that the top table would have zero weak teams. I want to see more Munster v saracens. Dragons v Worcester should be banished to second level competitions where we can protect the children from having to watch it.

What's the point of merging two leagues If you are just going to end up splitting them into two divisions?

the appeal of the British and Irish leagues is that the top table would have zero weak teams. I want to see more Munster v saracens. Dragons v Worcester should be banished to second level competitions where we can protect the children from having to watch it.
Because the 2nd division would die from lack of exposure, just look at cricket, where the div 3 teams are just about surviving with handouts.
There is enough talent, especially if we are greedy and allow foreign internationals. Thid competition should be like the NFL of rugby, the major league for all players.

Latest posts